The VT Baby club

kimmie

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

4 **** months tomorrow. Still not going home, and probably being transferred to a paediatric ward in the next few days as she's too old for NICU. That's going to be shit because of the one visitor at a time rule, really shit, and we went to visit it and saw she's basically going to be in a crib that looks like a cage. They have a lovely big playroom. Closed for 2 **** years because of covid, even though it's bigger than the bay.

It'll be a small relief to have a change of scenery though, we've been in low dependency for the last month, which sounds better than high dependency, but what it actually means is we're in a room full of people who are just passing through, instead of other families who really "get it". Usually babies with a little bit of jaundice, or who were a couple of weeks premature. And it's hard for anyone being in that environment when you want to be at home with a newborn, I know it sounds like a dick move to trivialise their experience which is definitely worse than the typical newborn journey, but I can't help but get just a bit angry when I hear someone distraught about being in hospital for a couple of weeks and how hard it is on them and their family. Bitch, please, we've lived here for 118 days. This is my life. 

What's worse than their upset is all the bloody happiness though. Sitting in there for a month, watching family after family celebrate their discharge knowing we're no closer. You want to be happy for them, but it's so bloody hard.

Sorry to read this, mate.

When I posted in here about my son being born last month, I was going to have a moan because I couldn’t meet him for a week as I had covid and that he was kept in NICU for a few days away from his mom and it took us a week to get mom and baby discharged.

Then I remembered your situation and realised how absolutely pathetic I was being. We had it very easy all things considered.

I wish you and your family all the best.

• Like 1

Honestly, there's always someone who has it harder, I'd hate to stop other people sharing how they're getting on. I might do my moaning elsewhere so I don't stop you guys having a rant :D As stressed as I've been, I still recognise I'm one of the lucky ones. We're almost certainly bringing her home. Several friends we've made in here didn't get to do the same. Puts my bitching in perspective really.

Hope things are looking up and you're getting into the swing of things now he's home @Paddywhack?

Edited by Davkaus

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Honestly, there's always someone who has it harder, I'd hate to stop other people sharing how they're getting on. I might do my moaning elsewhere so I don't stop you guys having a rant :D As stressed as I've been, I still recognise I'm one of the lucky ones. We're almost certainly bringing her home. Several friends we've made in here didn't get to do the same. Puts my bitching in perspective really.

Hope things are looking up and you're getting into the swing of things now he's home @Paddywhack?

Definitely don't feel this is the wrong place for ranting/venting - it really isn't.

And I think we can all accept that there are people for whom it's been plain sailing and others where it's been far more difficult.  But we're a community and we'd (certainly me, anyway!) want to know about the bad news as well as the good news.  It's what makes people actual people and not just a name on a forum.

We've all got our fingers crossed for you and the family - it's going to be amazing when you can bring her home and you'll absolutely get there.  Take it you're at QMC, by the way? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Honestly, there's always someone who has it harder, I'd hate to stop other people sharing how they're getting on. I might do my moaning elsewhere so I don't stop you guys having a rant

Please don't. This is definitely the right thread, and it's good to hear updates from you, especially when they're positive.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

No, definitely don’t stop posting here, that’s not at all what I was getting at!

All’s good here thanks. Our biggest challenge has been getting our two year old used to being a big brother. He’s been great generally, but he was having a tantrum yesterday and decided to twist and yank his brothers leg. It’s the first time I’ve had to properly tell him off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Our biggest challenge has been getting our two year old used to being a big brother. He’s been great generally, but he was having a tantrum yesterday and decided to twist and yank his brothers leg. It’s the first time I’ve had to properly tell him off

Be careful with that. Err on the side of a gentle explanation of why he shouldn't do it, rather than a big telling off, as he may make him resent the baby even more. Although if our experience is anything to go by, it all settles down once the little 'un starts responding and laughing at big bruv's antics. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Be careful with that. Err on the side of a gentle explanation of why he shouldn't do it, rather than a big telling off, as he may make him resent the baby even more. Although if our experience is anything to go by, it all settles down once the little 'un starts responding and laughing at big bruv's antics. 

Yeah, I think you’re probably right and gentle parenting would be our usual response. He’d already scratched and headbutted me and his mom at this point though (not his typical behaviour, I should add) so my telling off was probably a bit more instinctive at that point, rightly or wrongly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah, I think you’re probably right and gentle parenting would be our usual response. He’d already scratched and headbutted me and his mom at this point though (not his typical behaviour, I should add) so my telling off was probably a bit more instinctive at that point, rightly or wrongly.

That’s okay. I definitely agree with Mooney, and am all for gentle and patient parenting, but we’re only human. It’s okay to get angry and show it every now and then (I’ve been guilty of this more times than I want to), as long as your child trusts you and knows you’d never do them any harm. Even my mother, who is an actual saint and is the unofficial world champion of childcare, could lose her temper every once in a while. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

That’s okay. I definitely agree with Mooney, and am all for gentle and patient parenting, but we’re only human. It’s okay to get angry and show it every now and then (I’ve been guilty of this more times than I want to), as long as your child trusts you and knows you’d never do them any harm. Even my mother, who is an actual saint and is the unofficial world champion of childcare, could lose her temper every once in a while. 

Oh, absolutely. What I suggest as Best Practice and what I actually do, don't always coincide. When you're a tired parent, losing your rag is sometimes inevitable. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

You should have battered him

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, bobzy said:

Take it you're at QMC, by the way? 

We've bounced between City and QMC but they don't deal with surgical babies at City, so we're back here. For the next couple of hours anyway, because I've just been told we're going home, today 😐 

I won't believe it until she's in the car seat and I'm speeding out of there.

As an aside, I've just proved that you can indeed fit a pram and a car seat into an mx5.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Saves those likes, fellas. Despite telling us this and me booking the afternoon off to get here, it's just been vetoed, apparently as agreed with the team last night. But they forgot, so told us we could go....even though they definitely knew we couldn't.

"Go on, get your hopes up again, I dare you"

30 Best Laughing GIFs to Share

Communication between departments seems to be the biggest issue in the NHS from my experience.

Sounds like they're too scared to discharge her in case something goes wrong and they get blamed, without realising that they're increasing the chances of something going wrong and them getting blamed by keeping her there

• Like 1

I'll keep this for baby updates and less angry rants, but the rage is the only thing keeping me going right now.

As the great philosopher Steve Bruce once said, we dust ourselves down, and we go again,

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'll keep this for baby updates and less angry rants, but the rage is the only thing keeping me going right now.

As the great philosopher Steve Bruce once said, we dust ourselves down, and we go again,

No, be angry. We're angry for you.

It'll make it all the sweeter when you finally get her home

Â