The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Not sold on Joshua and always thought his fundamentals aren't elite. Jab, head movement, feet etc but have to say that was a very good performance. Looked seriously motivated. Needs to bring that same level of aggression against Fury. Needs to know at this stage of the game what he's good at and what he isn't. If he's tentative and tries to box Fury, he won't win.

Indeed.

As i said above, needs to bring it all together and improve his speed and timing IMO.

Too many missed bombers against the likes of Fury will see him clipped every time.

This is probably one of the best performances I've seen from him though.

If he can tweak the mix of Smart Boxing , Timing, aggression and Power he can beat most if not all.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

Genuine question, outside of Klitsko and Wilder has Fury flight anyone as tough as AJ has faced? 

Great point to be fair.

I don't think he has. AJ defo has the tougher resume.

Fury's skills are undeniable though.

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Genuine question, outside of Klitsko and Wilder has Fury flight anyone as tough as AJ has faced? 

I think the answer is that it is a fairly poor division taking out the top two or three, Oddly enough I would say Wilder has had the more difficult fights than either 

Good overall performance by AJ.  Looked tired after the exertion of the 3rd round and took a couple of rounds to get his energy levels up again.   Not exactly a clean fight from either boxer though.   

Would love to know what Mayweather said to him after the fight. 

10 minutes ago, coda said:

Watching DAZN AJ bit vague about fighting Fury next.

I am watching Dazn as well ( Bloody great deal to be fair ), agree with the last bloke who said there are still scars and chinks.in AJs armour/confidence still remaining from the Ruiz loss.

Might take him a couple fights and wins to regain it.

7 minutes ago, coda said:

Watching DAZN AJ bit vague about fighting Fury next.

Matchroom and DAZN might feel differently.  An AJ - Fury fight would certainly help DAZN break into the UK market. 

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I think the answer is that it is a fairly poor division taking out the top two or three, Oddly enough I would say Wilder has had the more difficult fights than either 

Can't agree with regards to Wilder resume, aside from Ortiz, another tough bastard, who has Wilder fought tougher than AJ opponent's mate?

Edit: They've just shown Joshua's resume as well, unquestionably the highest pedigree.

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It's kind of irrelevant really. The fact is he did fight klitschko and wilder and beat them both. Fury beats everyone Joshua has beaten. Differently maybe but beats them. 

Pulev took an impressive amount of abuse but barely hit AJ.

Not many people manage to hit him. Ruiz did and VK did and both decked him. 

Hopefully Fury can give him something to think about.

I don’t see it being so one sided, it could be an epic battle.

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

If I had to pick a winner from Fury and AJ, I'd go with the Gypsy king, but anyone who thinks the result is a forgone conclusion is seriously underestimating Joshua. 

It’s one of those things that always makes me laugh about boxing. It’s always “x will obliterate y”. 

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Isn’t that mostly because sitting on the fence in a two horse race is really boring?  

Not really, it doesn’t have any bearing on the result or provide any enjoyment. If it was very one sided it would be a huge surprise.

Â