The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Well aware of those cases alright and general underworld involvement in boxing but we are talking about the leader of one of the biggest international drug cartels being involved at the highest level which to my knowledge is unprecedented here. Anyway Panorama might be worth a watch.

There's no disputing the shady reputation of Kinahan but it just might be he has a genuine interest in the sport of boxing. Now some might take the moral high ground with that which is understandable and I'm not saying there wrong or right. 

What it does make for is interesting news, hence the panorama show.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Reminded me of when Vargas schooled Hodgkinson. When a Mexican boxer is good, he's usually really good.

As the old saying goes " you don't slug with a slugger " That was a savage beating. The kind that puts years on a fighter. The referee and Warrington's dad let him down tonight. Fight was done after the 4th round.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Anyone see the Valdez, knockout, absolutely stunning? 

Very impressive. Contender for KO of the year. Nobody has come remotely close to putting a dent in Berchelt before. He wrecked him throughout the fight.

• Like 1

Few weeks late but Leon Spinks RIP.  Former Olympic gold medalist at light heavyweight.  Former world champion, beat a declining Ali  after only 7 professional fights. Then lost a rematch, then became  a bit of a journeyman.  Brother of Micheal Spinks. Bit of a happy go lucky character and faced  a lot of illness after he retired with stoicism.

Saunders will probably give Canelo a better fight than most think. Not the best pro outside the ring but he does tend to fight better when the opposition is better. ( Lee and Lemieux come to mind ) He minds himself though in the ring. Knows a lot of tricks. Never seen anyone put it on Saunders hard. Eubank just had a great engine and Saunders stupidly traded with him for a while but boxed his head off most the fight. He won't win this though. Even if he's at his best. Canelo is supreme and in his prime. Never felt such an inevitability about a fighter going up in weight like Canelo did to super middle. You just knew he'd beat Smith. Got WBA and WBC. He'll take Saunders WBO in May. And he'll take Plant's IBF in September. It's all mapped out. I know you can say there's never a sure thing in boxing but this kinda is.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I really, really hope Canelo puts a beating on him.

Part of me does also. It's the whole " you'll never beat a gypsy, toughest men alive etc etc "  I mean Canelo is lethal. Saunders won't rattle him with any shite talk beforehand. He's talked himself into this fight and he has it now so. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see BJ pull out. Something go wrong in camp. It's may or never. This won't come around again i think. He'll of known since Canelo beat Smith in December that he was fighting him in May. Canelo was never going to lose to Yildrim or even get marked and he didn't. If Saunders hasn't been minding himself since December he hasn't a hope. At his best, probably doesn't anyway.

Edited by Johnnyp

Â