The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

30 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

If he's medically cleared to fight, if he's gone through training camp with hard sparring and lastly if he choose to fight a fighter like Danny Garcia on his comeback, suggests to me he is ready. Just think it's a huge disservice to Garcia to say if he beats Spence it's because Spence wasn't right. We live in a digital age. Sparring and camp stories come out every day. If Spence wasn't right, we'd know it. Also, Spence barely beat Porter. Porter barely beat Garcia. I think Spence wins this but i think a Spence pre car crash would have a tough night with Garcia too.

I don't see Garcia being a problem for Spence. That's just my opinion.  What I said is, the car -crash incident is a fact and people are going to be curious as to how, or if that as had some psychological effect on the psyche of Spence. There's no getting away from that. I guarantee if Garcia wins some will say that Spence is no longer the fighter he was. 

In the record books it will just say a win for Garcia, regardless. 

24 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't see Garcia being a problem for Spence. That's just my opinion.  What I said is, the car -crash incident is a fact and people are going to be curious as to how, or if that as had some psychological effect on the psyche of Spence. There's no getting away from that. I guarantee if Garcia wins some will say that Spence is no longer the fighter he was. 

In the record books it will just say a win for Garcia, regardless. 

Exactly. And a bloody good one at that. I'm hoping Spence wins purely because i want to see him fight Crawford eventually.

You can clearly see in interviews Warren wants Dubois to win even though he promotes Joyce also. There's longevity and money to be made out of Dubois. Joyce is 35. If he beats Dubois, he kinda probably needs an eliminator or a shot at a title that Joshua might vacate, versus say Usyk. Dubois can still go relatively steady if he wins.

To get me in the mood I’ve just watched the new Lennox Lewis film. Being highly fortunate to have attended a couple of his biggest fights, the Rahman rematch in Vegas and the Tyson fight due to business connections. Having watched his career again to bring back the memories I will probably put him in the top five of all time and could possibly make an argument that he is the greatest heavyweight champion who’s ever lived. Comment would be appreciated 👍

32 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

To get me in the mood I’ve just watched the new Lennox Lewis film. Being highly fortunate to have attended a couple of his biggest fights, the Rahman rematch in Vegas and the Tyson fight due to business connections. Having watched his career again to bring back the memories I will probably put him in the top five of all time and could possibly make an argument that he is the greatest heavyweight champion who’s ever lived. Comment would be appreciated 👍

Definitely top 5, along with Ali, Johnson, Holmes and Tyson. 

I've just had a little wager on Joyce stopping Dubois between rnds 7 and 12.

I was slightly impressed with Adelayde, although his opponent looked like someone they'd dragged in off the Stratford Rd. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Definitely top 5, along with Ali, Johnson, Holmes and Tyson. 

I've just had a little wager on Joyce stopping Dubois between rnds 7 and 12.

I was slightly impressed with Adelayde, although his opponent looked like someone they'd dragged in off the Stratford Rd. 

I agree, DD Reminds me a great deal of another heavyweight of ours of fairly recent times 

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

Warren seems to think the winner of this is ready for a world title shot.  Can’t see it myself. 

I agree. If it's Joyce, well he probably has to take it given his age. Tonight should take the sting out the Dubois hype. If he wins, he should make about a dozen defences of that European title. He's loads to work on.

Seems to me like Dubois is finally meeting someone who won’t just fall over and Joyce is having an easier time walking though than I’d expected.  Those big shots from Dubois are still landing and they’ll have to take their toll eventually. 

Can’t see Joyce getting anything on points though. Dubois is Frank’s boy.  

Not sure what fight woodhall was watching, I had Joyce well a head on shot count from the 3rd round on. Dubois just wasn't ready for Joyce , he needs more fights to gain some ring craft, felt sorry for him, he looked lost when Joyce never went down and the jabs kept raining into that left eye.  

Got to blame Warren for rushing Dubois, going to be hard coming back from that eye injury. 

Edited by tinker

Dubious looked in trouble from rnd 3, by that I mean, he never looked confident in his ability to get Joyce out of there. That eye sapped all his enthusiasm. You go to give Joe his props, he's persistent in his approach, that jab never stopped. You wouldn't  count him out against the top heavyweights, excuse the pun.

Edited by sheepyvillian

Â