The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Mayweather didn't have the power to hurt him but still totally outclassed him.

True but that was a very long time ago. I think this canelo would beat mayweather at any weight class

Edited by Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

True but that was a very long time ago. I think this canelo would beat mayweather at any weight class

That's hypothetical. The truth is Canelo has always found it difficult against boxers who can hit and move. If Saunders can get himself in tip - top condition then he's a viable opponent imo. 

19 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's hypothetical. The truth is Canelo has always found it difficult against boxers who can hit and move. If Saunders can get himself in tip - top condition then he's a viable opponent imo. 

The thing is smith can hit and has decent football. Admittedly not as good as saunders but for me canelo wins quite comfortably. 

We wilm never know now as mayweather too old but canelo is just a different monster to back then

43 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I agree but you can't compare the canelo we are seeing the last year or 2 to the Canelo we seen at light middleweight. He's faster, more aggressive, better footwork. Just a better fighter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I agree but you can't compare the canelo we are seeing the last year or 2 to the Canelo we seen at light middleweight. He's faster, more aggressive, better footwork. Just a better fighter.

I just really struggle to give Canelo any credit, because, basically, the cheating bastard doesn't deserve any.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Bang on the money, he was really struggling against Khan for three or four rounds, If Khan had more punching power at the weight  he could’ve been in trouble

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Yes it’s quite amazing what a few vitamin injections can do for you and also throw in a couple of bent judges and promoter to rob a genuine great and you make ‘cinnamon’

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Bang on the money, he was really struggling against Khan for three or four rounds, If Khan had more punching power at the weight  he could’ve been in trouble

I think Saunders is far better than Khan, defensively and has better footwork. I would pick Canelo everytime, but that doesn't mean Billy Joe is without a chance. If he could find a way to keep Canelo at a distance for twelve rounds, then maybe, but some " ifs " are very big. I know Canelo was a lot younger when he fought Mayweather and somewhat inexperienced at World title, level, but it was quite surprising just how ordinary Mayweather made him look. It wasn't even close, even though one of the judges tried some shit. 

I dislike Canelo and can't stand Oscar De le Hoya. What a corrupt set - up Golden boy is. The amount of decisions they have blatantly brought. The first  triple G fight with Canelo was out and out robbery and Canelo knew it.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2020 at 10:04, sheepyvillian said:

At light middleweight, yes. To ignore the technical improvement of Canelo, fight on fight, year or year, is just wrong. I'm not talking about the tainted beef stuff. His boxing. Ring IQ. How he turns into shots, footwork. Head movement. Most improved top level fighter around. Cast your mind back to how stiff and robotic he looked way back against Matthew Hatton and Ryan Rhodes. He puts serious work into his craft. I think he'll destroy Billy Joe. He got to Lara late on. Technically Lara is miles better than Saunders and Canelo was only a pup then.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

At light middleweight, yes. To ignore the technical improvement of Canelo, fight on fight, year or year, is just wrong. I'm not talking about the tainted beef stuff. His boxing. Ring IQ. How he turns into shots, footwork. Head movement. Most improved top level fighter around. Cast your mind back to how stiff and robotic he looked way back against Matthew Hatton and Ryan Rhodes. He puts serious work into his craft. I think he'll destroy Billy Joe. He got to Lara late on. Technically Lara is miles better than Saunders and Canelo was only a pup then.

Thats the thing the power yes you can argue soemthing dodge. But his boxing brain is exceptional and he has improved madly

16 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

No one is ignoring how good Canelo is. He's at the elite level, but what you can't ignore is the fact that he's a cheat. No different from Ben Johnson or Lance Armstrong. He should have got a ban for the excuse he gave.

Like I said, in my book, he doesn't deserve any credit . And let's not forget how he managed to get a draw in the first fight with triple G. That scoring was nothing short of scandalous . 

You think Billy Joe doesn't stand a chance and that's your opinion . Do I think Billy Joe can beat him, I very much doubt it, but ,imo, he's a worthy opponent .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

No one is ignoring how good Canelo is. He's at the elite level, but what you can't ignore is the fact that he's a cheat. No different from Ben Johnson or Lance Armstrong. He should have got a ban for the excuse he gave.

Like I said, in my book, he doesn't deserve any credit . And let's not forget how he managed to get a draw in the first fight with triple G. That scoring was nothing short of scandalous . 

You think Billy Joe doesn't stand a chance and that's your opinion . Do I think Billy Joe can beat him, I very much doubt it, but ,imo, he's a worthy opponent .

Callum smith was a worthu opponent however  you saw the difference in class and i expect the same with saunders. 

Lets see of saunders has the guts to fit him. He has been ducking triple g for years

I didn't say Billy Joe would beat Canelo, I said he's a worthy opponent. As for Saunders ducking triple G, Canelo ducked him for two years and waited till he was at the end of his prime. And still lost that first fight.

Edited by sheepyvillian

1. On 22/12/2020 at 22:22, Follyfoot said:

Yes it’s quite amazing what a few vitamin injections can do for you and also throw in a couple of bent judges and promoter to rob a genuine great and you make ‘cinnamon’

What sickens me is knowing the real danger of boxers using steroids and the consequences that could come of it, I find it really uncomfortable how the whole incident with Canelo and the tainted meat has just been totally pushed under the carpet, like it never happened and you have all these hypocritical pundits continually blowing smoke up his arse. Its shameful, it truly is. 

• Like 1

For me, it's not that I think Canelo is unbeatable, I think GGG proved that, I just don't think that Saunders is an elite level fighter, he's good, but he's a step down from the very top class imo. I accept that because he's also a horrible human being that might taint my opinion of him slightly, but ultimately I think he's nearer Eubank Jr than Canelo.

Probably worth remembering as well that the circumstances of Billy Joes failed drug test weren't exactly squeaky clean - another athlete falling foul of the everyday nasal congestion spray - that one got pushed under the rug sharpish too.

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He's a worthy opponent for sure but popping a jab out and keeping a puncher like Lemieux off you is a different ball game than Canelo. BJ can't punch. It won't end well for him. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Callum smith was a worthu opponent however  you saw the difference in class and i expect the same with saunders. 

Lets see of saunders has the guts to fit him. He has been ducking triple g for years

BJ has to step up for sure. Bad trainer, doesn't look after himself between fights. You won't hang with Canelo if you aren't dedicated to your craft between fights. He has no excuse now. Canelo is staying at 168 lbs. Wants the other belts. Saunders in May surely. Plant has a fight scheduled.

Â