The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just now, villarule123 said:

Frank Warren looks pissed 😆

Yeah, Dubois was Warren's boy even though he promotes both. In hindsight looking back at it , Joyce fought Tony Yoka in the Olympics. Fought Hrgovic. Great fight against Usyk in the WSB. I think Dubois listened to everybody hyping him up a bit too much. He looked worried by the 3rd.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Dubois quit. If you are a young fighter and that's in you, it ain't good. First time tonight where some one was hitting him back and he didn't like it.

You  can't really argue with that. I never really brought into the hype. All that knocking Joshua out in sparring.  You're right, it looks like he's been found out.

Remember Eubank's eye against Thompson?  They literally had to drag Eubank out the ring. You can't teach that.

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You  can't really argue with that. I never really brought into the hype. All that knocking Joshua out in sparring.  You're right, it looks like he's been found out.

Remember Eubank's eye against Thompson?  They literally had to drag Eubank out the ring. You can't teach that.

I understood the logic of how he was matched because he had such limited amateur experience but went from his best opponent in Nathan Gorman to a fella who's won world amateur championship and who many felt should of won gold in Rio. He's going to be really hard to sell to the public now. Warren knows if he puts him in with anyone half decent and gets beaten again, he's probably done at what, 24 ? Joyce had fought Jennings and Stiverne. Dubois fought Gorman. When that eye heels, I'd be hooking him up with a trainer who can teach him the basics of slipping a jab and feinting. His corner were brutal.

9 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I understood the logic of how he was matched because he had such limited amateur experience but went from his best opponent in Nathan Gorman to a fella who's won world amateur championship and who many felt should of won gold in Rio. He's going to be really hard to sell to the public now. Warren knows if he puts him in with anyone half decent and gets beaten again, he's probably done at what, 24 ? Joyce had fought Jennings and Stiverne. Dubois fought Gorman. When that eye heels, I'd be hooking him up with a trainer who can teach him the basics of slipping a jab and feinting. His corner were brutal.

And that was a Gorman, whose mind was elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Joyce deserved it, had to fight to get his chances . Even getting to  the Olympics was a battle for him, then he was robbed  . Be poetic justice if he beats Joshua , great professional . 

It's a weird one. He doesn't look much but at the same time he'd be a handful for anyone. Beat Jennings too. That's a great win.

One of the judges had Dubois eight rounds ahead. Warren, it seems, had the judges in his pocket. No way was Dubois that far ahead, if he were ahead at all. 

I think anyone who really understood the boxing game really knew that Joyce was in with a great chance of beating Dubois, and so it proved. 

Early thoughts on Canelo - Smith ? I don't see Canelo struggling with Smith at all. He'll hit with him regularity. The two hardest fights i think Canelo had in terms of frustration was Mayweather and Lara. And many felt Lara won that fight. You can't throw bombs with him, he'll clean you out. Great footwork and pot shotting is the way to beat him. Smith will too easy to tag i think.

27 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Early thoughts on Canelo - Smith ? I don't see Canelo struggling with Smith at all. He'll hit with him regularity. The two hardest fights i think Canelo had in terms of frustration was Mayweather and Lara. And many felt Lara won that fight. You can't throw bombs with him, he'll clean you out. Great footwork and pot shotting is the way to beat him. Smith will too easy to tag i think.

I think it will be reminiscent of the Fielding fight, just a little later, maybe.

Turns out watching two old guys hug isn't as exciting as it sounds

Edit: The even older guy who refereeing the match is wearing a face mask but he wearing it under his nose so that's mildly entertaining I guess. What a moron.

Edited by sne

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

One of the judges had Dubois eight rounds ahead. Warren, it seems, had the judges in his pocket. No way was Dubois that far ahead, if he were ahead at all. 

I think anyone who really understood the boxing game really knew that Joyce was in with a great chance of beating Dubois, and so it proved. 

Made enough to pay for my lads 16th next week in full and change. Luverly jubberely 

Always thought that Yarde was a limited fighter who got by on power alone, no real amateur experience and problems with this stamina.

Last night I thought he was disgraceful, he was outboxed by a bloke with one hand and he didn't force the fight until the very last round, the way he spit his dummy out of the pram after the fight was embarrassing, claimed it was a robbery, said that he refused to accept it as a loss.

I think it hit home to him that he has fallen from the highs of Kov to the lows of getting beat by a domestic level opponent, he obviously thinks he is at a higher level than he actually is currently.

Spence looked great from what I saw, I was half asleep and did nod off at one point but it looked like he was edging an awful lot of close rounds and Garcia only won a few from what I managed to catch.

Nice to see that the he seems to have fully recovered from the crash

24 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Always thought that Yarde was a limited fighter who got by on power alone, no real amateur experience and problems with this stamina.

Last night I thought he was disgraceful, he was outboxed by a bloke with one hand and he didn't force the fight until the very last round, the way he spit his dummy out of the pram after the fight was embarrassing, claimed it was a robbery, said that he refused to accept it as a loss.

I think it hit home to him that he has fallen from the highs of Kov to the lows of getting beat by a domestic level opponent, he obviously thinks he is at a higher level than he actually is currently.

Spence looked great from what I saw, I was half asleep and did nod off at one point but it looked like he was edging an awful lot of close rounds and Garcia only won a few from what I managed to catch.

Nice to see that the he seems to have fully recovered from the crash

Yes he did, bring on Crawford you would hope but a lot of politics in play sadly

Edited by Follyfoot

Â