General Chat

Stevo985

Remember being amazed by the snakes' ability to eat really enormous things?

That was only half the process. Be amazed again. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b1e7030689ca297c2386450de688fed6.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 2

On 10/04/2024 at 18:13, limpid said:

Apple cares about your privacy, as long as you are the stalker.

Air tags have a built in thing so you can tell if you’re being stalked with one, like in the instance described. Whatever their failings and strengths overall, privacy is one thing where Apple is better/less bad than other providers like Google, for example.

Just remembered a girl I used to work with years and years ago who used to hide massive Swiss Rolls in her desk at work. Not sure what triggered that memory. The brain is a complex thing.  

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Air tags have a built in thing so you can tell if you’re being stalked with one, like in the instance described. Whatever their failings and strengths overall, privacy is one thing where Apple is better/less bad than other providers like Google, for example.

So Ample cares about privacy, but only if you are a (recent) customer of theirs? Wow.

Do you know of any evidence supporting Apple's privacy claims outside of their marketing and the places that regurgitate it?

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

So Ample cares about privacy, but only if you are a (recent) customer of theirs? Wow.

Do you know of any evidence supporting Apple's privacy claims outside of their marketing and the places that regurgitate it?

Not sure I understand the first point about recency. A relatively recent bit of kit contains a feature to alert people to its potential misuse by people with malign intent. I’m guessing here, but I’d imagine that the notification thing was probably introduced after people realised perverts could use them to do stalking. 

General privacy, yeah there’s loads of stuff. Google it, actually don’t. Use a different searcher, to protect your privacy 😜

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

General privacy, yeah there’s loads of stuff. Google it, actually don’t. Use a different searcher, to protect your privacy 😜

It's closely related to what I do for a living and I don't think there is the slightest difference between the two.

Some people like walled gardens and lock in. Some prefer a more functional experience in return for targeted ads. Neither has had a significant breach. Both have had scary problems with consumer stuff. One is more open than the other. One fixes bugs more quickly than the other.

It always used to be that Apple was "more secure", but that claim has been long dropped by Apple while Google have ramped this up as their claim. Apple moved to the more nebulous "privacy" but in reality, this serves two purposes. To block third parties doing things in their walled garden (all browsers on iOS are still wrappers around Safari, because they don't want better, faster browsers showing up their pet one). And to make people keep buying devices with more and more local storage because cloud is scary (but we can sell you our special privacy cloud).

34 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Personally I don't trust Apple as far as I can throw them. Never have done. 

Apple, Google, Meta & Microsoft own us all now.

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apple, Google, Meta & Microsoft own us all now.

Just Google and Meta for me. I may drop Meta when we get unified messaging standards later this year.

17 minutes ago, limpid said:

Just Google and Meta for me. I may drop Meta when we get unified messaging standards later this year.

Never ever joined Facebook. I could see what they were right from the start. Got annoyed when insta and WhatsApp happened - and as much I try to use Signal I can't get some family members to switch annoyingly.

57 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

My small rather niche University just won their 10th National Hockey Championship - the most of any other University in the US.

Thats pretty cool.

That's cool!  l always think of it as being dominated by the schools in the north and northeast like Minnesota, Michigan, BU, BC.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

That's cool!  l always think of it as being dominated by the schools in the north and northeast like Minnesota, Michigan, BU, BC.

It’s interesting that the big northern schools (& Canada) scout bruisers- big burly powerful players.

DU has always committed to scouting European players who are much more technical but less physical. It’s an ethos that no-one else in college Hockey leagues follows, but we are winning !!

On 12/04/2024 at 20:10, limpid said:

It's closely related to what I do for a living and I don't think there is the slightest difference between the two.

Some people like walled gardens and lock in. Some prefer a more functional experience in return for targeted ads. Neither has had a significant breach.

Google has just settled a huge case where they’d been tracking users activity in incognito and then using the data they collected to sell ads.  They’ve repeatedly been found to breach users privacy for profit, over the years.  As you’ve said yourself in the past “you’re the product” with google.

Pretty much all these big tech giants are horrible in much of what they do and how they do it and how they behave. We’re all hooked to an extent because they also make/provide things we find incredibly useful.

• Like 2

Google has just settled a huge case where they’d been tracking users activity in incognito and then using the data they collected to sell ads.  They’ve repeatedly been found to breach users privacy for profit, over the years.  As you’ve said yourself in the past “you’re the product” with google.

Are you saying that Google securely storing data was a breach? A breach is usually considered a loss of data. I'm not aware of Google ever using data outside of their stated AUPs. That people don't read these is routinely portrayed as Google's fault.

However, everyone's ISP records all incognito activity unless you use a VPN - and I don't trust ISPs to keep that data secure. Also, I'm a paying customer of Google on all my accounts, so my interaction with them is far less as a product.

When Apple got caught tracking location data on IOS devices when Location Services was turned off, they declared it was a bug and fixed it months later.  Apple's AUP allowed them to do this. There are many cases of law enforcement using this data. Apple still download WiFi SSIDs for networks which are none of their business, without consent, for providing location services.

Pretty much all these big tech giants are horrible in much of what they do and how they do it and how they behave. We’re all hooked to an extent because they also make/provide things we find incredibly useful.

I agree completely. It's why I'm on the side I am. They are collecting the data either way, I'd rather get something out of it.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I agree completely. It's why I'm on the side I am. They are collecting the data either way, I'd rather get something out of it.

This is where I'm at. Given that advertising is inevitable, I'd rather see targeted ads for stuff that I'm at least interested in, rather than random tat. 

13 hours ago, limpid said:

Are you saying that Google securely storing data was a breach? A breach is usually considered a loss of data. I'm not aware of Google ever using data outside of their stated AUPs. That people don't read these is routinely portrayed as Google's fault.

However, everyone's ISP records all incognito activity unless you use a VPN - and I don't trust ISPs to keep that data secure. Also, I'm a paying customer of Google on all my accounts, so my interaction with them is far less as a product.

When Apple got caught tracking location data on IOS devices when Location Services was turned off, they declared it was a bug and fixed it months later.  Apple's AUP allowed them to do this. There are many cases of law enforcement using this data. Apple still download WiFi SSIDs for networks which are none of their business, without consent, for providing location services.

Legally it was a breach. They settled billions of dollars because of it. I don’t trust any of them. Google has a long record of using users data without consent, to be polite. Their business model depends on us not giving a hoot.  Apple makes over priced gubbins and their businesses model depends on us being entranced by what they would call seamlessness and that they don’t marketise our data, because they make their money from the kit they sell, not from the info we reveal about ourselves. I’d trust Apple to look after my data more than google, by a million miles. I wouldn’t trust either of them as far as I could throw them to be model citizens.

38 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

So it's nearly 2am and i can't sleep because i'm still buzzing off the Arsenal result.

Work is going to suck tomorrow...

I’m in the same boat. The only difference is that I work with a bunch of gooners. However tired I am, it’s going to be glorious when I get to work tomorrow.  

• Like 1

Just realised I work with a gooner but he won't be in till Tuesday so I'll have an extra day to refine my approach. 

Â