General Chat

Stevo985

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

does it do anything better? I find tower/desks fans usually have a very short life. I killed 3 last year. The motors just burn out after a certain amount of time and they're a pain to keep clean with their blades. If the Dyson lasts 10 years then it'll pay for itself IMO. 

Yeah its a really good air filter by the sound of it so should help with my chronic hay fever

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have one of these on my work desk and it works great. Keeps me lovely and cool, only cost about £8.

78699027_1.jpg

Nice little Ice Rink candidate standing in front of that enormous fan. 

• Like 1

Fans only cool you down in moist air as they increase the evaporation rate by increasing the air speed across your skin and removing your sweat. In dry air, they'll have the opposite effect because you won't be sweating and they'll blow more hot air at you.

Dyson is a charlatan, it's just a fan and will only cool you down in moist air like any other fan

On 17/06/2023 at 15:48, bickster said:

Fans only cool you down in moist air as they increase the evaporation rate by increasing the air speed across your skin and removing your sweat. In dry air, they'll have the opposite effect because you won't be sweating and they'll blow more hot air at you.

Dyson is a charlatan, it's just a fan and will only cool you down in moist air like any other fan

Nah.  Evaporation of sweat is driven by the temperature difference between air and skin and the capacity- and therefore "eagerness"- of the air to absorb the water vapor.  Sweat will vaporize more easily in dry air than moist since it will more readily take on additional water vapor, so you will cool down faster in dry air than moist air both with and without a fan.  Where you are correct is that you will perceive the fan to make more of a difference in moist air because the relative increase in the ability to absorb vapor by moving fresh air past your skin will be greater in moist air than dry.

• Like 1

With the saudis taking over.... BHX had announced Saudia are doing direct flights to jeddah 3 times a week

Emirates are bringing the A380 back there too and Qatar coming back

Still need an American carrier to give a direct service

The headquarters for the 2024 Paris Olympics being raided by local police looking for financial irregularities. How very much on brand for both the Olympics and for sport in France.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

With the saudis taking over.... BHX had announced Saudia are doing direct flights to jeddah 3 times a week

Emirates are bringing the A380 back there too and Qatar coming back

Still need an American carrier to give a direct service

I've noticed a Saudia plane here at Gatwick too recently.  Are people genuinely starting to go there as a tourist destination and are the Saudis starting to become a bit more liberal?

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've noticed a Saudia plane here at Gatwick too recently.  Are people genuinely starting to go there as a tourist destination and are the Saudis starting to become a bit more liberal?

the made it possible to get a tourist visa  and you an do it online ...they are really pushing the tourism agenda  .. at least on paper

I looked at going there last year and put together an itinerary and asked about a dozen agents based in Saudi to give me some guidance/ suggestions  on the itinerary it was possible and a price  .. i received a reply from 1 of them .. and even then they didn't follow up with me when I asked what they required from me to go ahead 

TBH , most of it you can just book yourself online , Jeddah , Riyadh  , internal flights , hotels  etc  , but i was looking as going a bit further afield and it would require local help to coordinate what I had in mind .. they just don't seem quite geared up to provide it  ..yet  

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Now he has been charged i think andrew tate is going down for a very long time

Hopefully.

Gradually these pricks with armies of cult-like followers are getting their comeuppance. Tate, Johnson, Trump, Yaxley-Lennon…

Lets keep it going.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Many years ago we had a lovely holiday that included a bit of Scuba Steving in the Indian Ocean off Kenya.

A glass bottomed boat bobbing around a reef. It sounds like a set up for a joke, but there was a German couple, a French couple… and us. The boat dude took us out to the reef, parked up and opened a box of snorkels and goggles. All three lady persons declined. The German bloke suited up, jumped in and swam away. The French bloke suited up, jumped in and swam away. My missus, a French woman, and a German woman, and Captain Qint are all looking at me.

FFS

I stick the goggles and the snorkel and the flippers on, and jump in. It’s far colder than I’d imagined, and there is a strong current. I am now literally stuck under the glass bottomed boat. To take a positive from it, my belly did rub some green algae off the viewing glass.

Reminds me of a boat trip we did off Corfu. We sailed out to some 'blue lagoon' type caves and dropped anchor, where we were invited to go for a swim. Most of us declined, except for a little girl of about ten - who simply dived off and swam like a fish - and a fat middleaged British bloke, who'd been bullshitting about his swimming skills from the moment we set off. He proceeded to (very clumsily) don flippers, mask and snorkel, and struggle over the side. Only to immediately flounder and panic, until he had to be rescued, and be dragged, red-faced and flustered, back on board. Much sniggering ensued. 

Edited by mjmooney

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Now he has been charged i think andrew tate is going down for a very long time

Good. I hope everyone who idolises him chokes on their steroids too

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Reminds me of a boat trip we did off Corfu. We sailed out to some 'blue lagoon' type caves and dropped anchor, where we were invited to go for a swim. Most of us declined, except for a little girl of about ten - who simply dived off and swam like a fish - and a fat middleaged British bloke, who'd been bullshitting about his swimming skills from the moment we set off. He proceeded to (very clumsily) don flippers, mask and snorkel, and struggle over the side. Only to immediately flounder and panic, until he had to be rescued, and be dragged, red-faced and flustered, back on board. Much sniggering ensued. 

Something similar happened to us in Barbados, a rather boorish overweight Englishman who had too much to drink jumped in and got into difficulties, luckily there was a local rasta guy trying to sell conches from a canoe going by who saved him.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Many years ago we had a lovely holiday that included a bit of Scuba Steving in the Indian Ocean off Kenya.

A glass bottomed boat bobbing around a reef. It sounds like a set up for a joke, but there was a German couple, a French couple… and us. The boat dude took us out to the reef, parked up and opened a box of snorkels and goggles. All three lady persons declined. The German bloke suited up, jumped in and swam away. The French bloke suited up, jumped in and swam away. My missus, a French woman, and a German woman, and Captain Qint are all looking at me.

FFS

I stick the goggles and the snorkel and the flippers on, and jump in. It’s far colder than I’d imagined, and there is a strong current. I am now literally stuck under the glass bottomed boat. To take a positive from it, my belly did rub some green algae off the viewing glass.

I'm still not forgiven for swimming under the glass bottom boat on holiday and mooning everyone on board ..

There is some tough competition but i think its in my Top 10 of things I've done that embarrassed her :) 

• Like 1

Â