General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

always

Probably live furthest away now than I ever have, and I can still see it from my house. It's about a 15 / 20 minute walk away. 

When I was a school kid, our school bus stop was alongside the beach. We'd pile our bags up by the bus stop and go down onto the beach. The bus would beep us when it got there. 

I still get excited when I see the coast as its such a rare event for me! Must have been a few years since I saw it last... can't remember if it was Blackpool to see a client or Bournemouth for a wedding. I'm still blown away by it even in those busy tourist places. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm more nervous on boats/ships than planes. 

The thought of a long drawn out death by drowning/freezing/becoming shark food is more scary! 

See this is what I was saying earlier about reprogramming your mind. I love boats. When I get one I love walking around or sitting down relaxing watching a movie etc. Those thoughts do not enter my mind.

when I am on a plane I don't think like that at all, I feel it's going to come down or something bands going to happen and I relive that Florida flight. If I could feel like I do on a boat with a plane that would transform my life. I am flying in march and dreading it.

This is possibly one for the Moving House thread, but it’s more of an open ‘money’ question. I’ve read in a few sources that your monthly mortgage/house insurance shouldn’t exceed 28% of your monthly gross incomings. Do people agree with that percentage? Or maybe think it should be higher/lower?

It may be difficult for people to think back to when they last moved house/renewed mortgage and remember what they considered as a ‘do-able’ amount, but I’m interested to hear. Especially from people who also have children and therefore need to consider childcare and all the kiddy costs.

New England was hit by what they were calling a "Bomb Cyclone" on Thursday. It was incredible here in Portland. It was essentially a Cat 1 hurricane, but snow not rain. Just a complete whiteout. We got a foot of snow which fell on a foot of compacted snow-ice. It looked like the planet Hoth. Really fun to walk around in, but on the way home the wind turned even more wicked, making just taking steps sort of difficult. I was happy to get back indoors. The waves in Massachusetts Bay reached 20 ft. Massive storm surge in low lying areas in the Boston area-

DSycBM0VwAAAIxw.jpg

Towns like these around the world are predicted to be underwater in 80 years.

That's my report, gents. Over and out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

New England was hit by what they were calling a "Bomb Cyclone" on Thursday. It was incredible here in Portland. It was essentially a Cat 1 hurricane, but snow not rain. Just a complete whiteout. We got a foot of snow which fell on a foot of compacted snow-ice. It looked like the planet Hoth. Really fun to walk around in, but on the way home the wind turned even more wicked, making just taking steps sort of difficult. I was happy to get back indoors. The waves in Massachusetts Bay reached 20 ft. Massive storm surge in low lying areas in the Boston area-

DSycBM0VwAAAIxw.jpg

Towns like these around the world are predicted to be underwater in 80 years.

That's my report, gents. Over and out.

The Day After Tomorrow. 

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

c65c200ffac405c3c748e68677cd1c71.gif

I'd really like to know more about the inner politics of Japan towards the end of the war. Like was there a significant and vocal opposition to their war effort and some of their desperation tactics, like the Kamikaze. Was the Emperor's cult of personality really that profound?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'd really like to know more about the inner politics of Japan towards the end of the war. Like was there a significant and vocal opposition to their war effort and some of their desperation tactics, like the Kamikaze. Was the Emperor's cult of personality really that profound?

Same here, it's something I haven't read much about. The nearest I got to it was "Samurai!", which is the autobiography of Saburo Sakai, one of Japan's top fighter pilots. He actually pulled out of the kamikaze mission he had been sent on, because he realised it was insane and pointless. But he says it took him a long while to get over the sense of shame he felt about it. 

• Like 1

I did read an article once that in a lot of cases the Kamakaze pilots basically had to be threatened via whatever means , and it wasn’t a case of all these pilots offering to die for the emperor ... 

in some cases saying no meant you were sent to the southern front and certain death anyway 

only around 14% of kamikaze planes hit their target , seems a somewhat flawed method 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The Beatles! 

I like them a lot, but I rarely listen to them. What I will say though, is they have so many great songs. You can put them on shuffle, and 9/10 you will like the that song, and the next. 

Unless you're bickster. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I do like the later stuff. A rare case where drugs did actually make people more interesting.

Charlie Brooker had the track Tomorrow Never Knows as his first pick this morning on Desert Island Discs and it made me think I'd dig out a couple of cd's for another listen. 

• Like 1

any NBA fans out there? im not a fan but thinking of going to a game in LA, i can do clippers vs magic on a saturday night or lakers vs cavs on the sunday, i know cavs will mean Lebron but the cheapest tickets for that game are $118 to sit back row at the top, the clippers game i can get courtside tickets for $60...

i dont know where i should be sitting anyway and will it really make a $100 difference to see Lebron?

Â