General Chat

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Xann said:

Someone told me ages ago don't say anything you wouldn't in a busy pub. That's about the size of it.

No one's recording, analysing and selling off for analysis everything said by everyone in the busy pub.

Edit: Everyone is doing that in the virtual pub.

It's an analogue forward defence to a post-digital yorker.

Edited by snowychap

9 hours ago, Xann said:

I like FB.

You choose who supplies the content on your feed.

FB has its uses, but I'm not sure that everyone being able to create their own little echo chamber is such a good thing. It's always going to exist to an extent, but the extent to which Facebook allows users to surround themselves with only things that support  their view while removing any material which challenges them is troubling.

Imagine our bollitics threads, if everyone blocked @tonyh29 :P 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1

I did a bit of pruning of my Facebook feed a while back (funnily enough, just after I had my humble-brag moan), and now my feed is just shared ‘funny’ video after video, with the odd post by a family member or one of the few friends that I didn’t mute. Now I’ve just turned the notifications off and only check it when someone says to me “Have you seen what I’ve tagged you in?”

36 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I did a bit of pruning of my Facebook feed a while back (funnily enough, just after I had my humble-brag moan), and now my feed is just shared ‘funny’ video after video, with the odd post by a family member or one of the few friends that I didn’t mute. Now I’ve just turned the notifications off and only check it when someone says to me “Have you seen what I’ve tagged you in?”

This is the trick. Judicious use of unfollow and notification settings. 

• Like 1

I locked myself out of Facebook the other day (incorrectly entered password three times). My email associated with the account is my student email that I lost access to a decade ago. So now it tells me I need to call up five people scattered all over the world who will each have part of a new password, and if I can get them all I can get back in. 

I think that's me and Facebook finished by default. 

• Like 1

I deleted FB about 5 years ago, dabbled with Twitter a few times over the years but quickly deleted my account. I deleted my Instagram account last week and have never tried snapchat. The constant barrage of people trying to sell you this image of how great and awesome they are despite being massive bellends and truly abhorrent people just gets too much I think.

VT is pretty much my only virtual social space now and I don’t even use it half as much as I used to. 

I think I’m becoming a bit of a recluse as I get older.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

We keep going over this, and I still don't get why people blame the medium for the content. 

Surely there are only two sorts of people? The ones you like are good to have on FB. The ones you don't like, you don't need to see. 

Unless you just don't like anybody, but that's hardly Facebook's fault. 

Well Instagram is the narcissists natural fit so you can’t escape it. Twitter I didn’t get any use out of and FB I just didn’t like using at all. I guess it’s me just not really getting much enjoyment from social media these days so if you don’t enjoy something why use it? It’s not a case of ‘I didn’t enjoy it therefore it’s ****’, if you get use out of it that’s great, it just wasn’t for me personally. I just speak to my friends and family in person or on WhatsApp, text, call etc... and that does me fine. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

I’ve never been on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, instagram. Never appealed. Not signed up to youtube either (I don’t really know what that allow me to do).

VT is my only presence at all online. Some sites have all the luck.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We keep going over this, and I still don't get why people blame the medium for the content. 

Surely there are only two sorts of people? The ones you like are good to have on FB. The ones you don't like, you don't need to see. 

Unless you just don't like anybody, but that's hardly Facebook's fault. 

Yep.

About half of the people I'm "friends" with on FB, I "unfollow" or "hide" or whatever they call it. Means I can't see their content unless I specifically go on to their page.

It means my feed is stuff I actually care about.

If you don't like the stuff you see on Facebook, get rid of it.

I personally love Instagram. It's full of dickheads, but again just don't **** follow them if you don't like them! You only see stuff that you follow.

Most of my friends use the Instagram story for day to day stuff and then Instagram doesn't tend to get spammed with photos (actual posts) like FB would. You know when someone goes on holiday and upload 1000 pictures. 

Then there's the memes. Some great meme accounts on Instagram. I probably follow more of those then people I actually know :D 

Never bothered with facebook but my other half is quite keen on it.

Do like Instagram but haven't posted anything yet but know lots of people that do and always nice to have a "nose" at what they're doing.:ph34r:

Edited by Brumstopdogs

The only thing I'm on is twitter, and I haven't done the usual race to try and follow 5,000 accounts, I'm on about 200 and that's perfectly manageable.

I currently have one single person on there where I have come to dislike their content and aggressive negative vibe. But he's a lonely soul on the periphery of our little gang. He's roughly one weird posting away from being dropped.

It's what my tiny little social circle use to message each other about coastal erosion data (!), footy stuff and it's how my vinyl dealer taps me up when she thinks she has something I'll like.

I've got an old school Flickr account too, if anyone remembers that, but it's just a convenient free photo dumpstore. I don't use it to follow or be followed or any of that. There's nothing precious on there either, in case one day it just closes down.

• Like 1

Had a good day planned today... up to Salford, couple of real ale pubs, some grub and then Salford v FC United of Manchester in a big non league derby. Maybe see some of the 'Class of 92'.

Got the first pub, The New Oxford, after a detour to the Salford Lads Club for a photo op for my mate (big Smiths fan!) and everything is going great... until we get back to his car to see someone has smashed the drivers window! To add insult to injury it starts to piss down. Obviously we can't carry on with the planned day and have to drive back... while getting pissed on by the rain (not so bad for me in the passenger seat). The highlight of the journey back was a sausage roll at Sandbach services! Didn't report it to the Police then as 1) nothing stolen and 2) could wait hours - its low priority. My mate has subsequently reported it and there was a spate of them around Salford today...

Game finished 2-2 and by all accounts was a cracker! 

So there was my day... a round trip to Salford for a pint of Shindigger pale ale! (which was very nice)

Edited by Xela

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Had a good day planned today... up to Salford, couple of real ale pubs, some grub and then Salford v FC United of Manchester in a big non league derby. Maybe see some of the 'Class of 92'.

Got the first pub, The New Oxford, after a detour to the Salford Lads Club for a photo op for my mate (big Smiths fan!) and everything is going great... until we get back to his car to see someone has smashed the drivers window! To add insult to injury it starts to piss down. Obviously we can't carry on with the planned day and have to drive back... while getting pissed on by the rain (not so bad for me in the passenger seat). The highlight of the journey back was a sausage roll at Sandbach services! Didn't report it to the Police then as 1) nothing stolen and 2) could wait hours - its low priority. My mate has subsequently reported it and there was a spate of them around Salford today...

Game finished 2-2 and by all accounts was a cracker! 

So there was my day... a round trip to Salford for a pint of Shindigger pale ale! (which was very nice)

Sorry about that! Sounds like although your plans got scuppered you're still in a good mood :)

So for the first time ever I used up all of my reactions for the day. What is the limit? Is it any reaction or are there a certain amount of likes, laughs etc?  Never done that before. I got a bit happy go lucky in the match thread - 5-0 great start to the year!!

29 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Sorry about that! Sounds like although your plans got scuppered you're still in a good mood :)

So for the first time ever I used up all of my reactions for the day. What is the limit? Is it any reaction or are there a certain amount of likes, laughs etc?  Never done that before. I got a bit happy go lucky in the match thread - 5-0 great start to the year!!

If you can't laugh at a 185 mile round trip for a pint of ale, what can you laugh at! :D 

No harm done and got me out the house! 

I think its about 50 in a 24 hour period?

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

If you can't laugh at a 185 mile round trip for a pint of ale, what can you laugh at! :D 

No harm done and got me out the house! 

I think its about 50 in a 24 hour period?

Cheers! I'd give you a like but I can't! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â