General Chat

Stevo985

Just now, Xela said:

Makes you grateful that we were born in Western Europe, when you look at the vast number of basket case countries in the world. 

A touch of irony to that comment when you think about colonisation and it's psychological effects. 

Hati has always had a fiery spirit, its the only state in history that was established by a successful slave revolt in the 1800's. I think the scars left by the notorious "Pappa Doc," are stll visible in the psyche of it's inhabitants. 

Watching footage of the Wayne Couzens arrest, even his dwelling had a somewhat sinister look about it, with the cat slithering around the room.

A true sense of the presence of malevolence. 

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Everytime I now see King Charles, I think, at least your Mother made the effort to smile.

If you don't like the fecking job, walk away from it!

He's not a well man, you know. 

15 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m going to Domincan Republic in the summer, hopefully it settles down by then and doesn’t still over the border.

I went there for my honeymoon and was instructed that under no circumstance go near the Haiti border. That was in 1999. The place never seams to settle down

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watching footage of the Wayne Couzens arrest, even his dwelling had a somewhat sinister look about it, with the cat slithering around the room.

A true sense of the presence of malevolence. 

Still find it baffling he rented a car in his own name and paid with his own bank account details then burned the body on a small patch of land he owned. As an active police officer how on earth did he think that wouldn't come back to him.

20 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I went there for my honeymoon and was instructed that under no circumstance go near the Haiti border. That was in 1999. The place never seams to settle down

We’re staying in Punta Cana which is as far from the border as you can get so hopefully it’s fine.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2024 at 20:54, Genie said:

We also used to have a cassette of a group I have never heard of since, but my little brother (who was a little shit) liked so we had it on a lot… London Boys, has anyone else heard of them?

For shame, there's more than a small chance that I owned a cassette of this album 30 odd years ago :ph34r:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Xann said:

Facebook and friends are having a bit of a magic moment.

note this post only applies to those 40 and over

for you youngsters, don't worry, snapchat and tiktok are fine (probably)

15 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Looks like my son’s British citizenship application just went through early this morning, so we’re very happy here. A giant debit on the credit card. 🇬🇧 Had to assemble dozens of documents, etc. I’m so happy for him — and relieved. I love America, but the violence and authoritarianism are worrying us. He’ll be another “dually” now, like me. He’s been to Birmingham, but not to Villa Park, so that will have to be his first stop as a Brit. 

If you hold a British passport how involved was it? I was born in the UK and would like my boys to have British passports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

If you hold a British passport how involved was it? I was born in the UK and would like my boys to have British passports.

And so you should. They're a beautiful British blue colour. 

This is exceptionally important (though I'm not sure why) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

it was the reason I left England and went back to living in Germany

long story, i moved my wife and 2 kids to the UK November 2022, did a load of online research before i went, spoke to a couple of lawyers before I went, consensus was go to the uk, apply for a visa, pay a load of money, everything will be fine. Moved to the UK, you cant do the visa application from inside the UK you have to be outside and visa application took 6 months because of the Ukraine war and once you start the application you cant travel anywhere, so my wife and kids would have to go back to Germany for 6 months while I did the application, she wouldn't even be able to visit the uk in that time, and that application would cost circa £4500 and id have to make a contribution to the NHS of about £1500 a year and they could say no and anytime in the next 5 years they could revoke it...and because my wife didn't have a visa she legally wasn't allowed to live in the rented accommodation that I had, and you cant do a visa application without a fixed address...but the advice from the lawyer was get your kids passports because that will make my case stronger...

I phoned the passport office, requested a meeting and they said no they don't do that anymore, they said I had to post the kids German passports to them, i said no, partly because of the risk of posting them partly because of the risk of my kids actually leaving the country before the application was complete which is why i wanted the meeting, passport office advice was to photocopy each passport and get it signed by a lawyer and send it in with birth certificates, marriage certificate etc etc and then I had to include a letter stating that i wasn't living at the address that i should be in because my rented house had fallen through and that they needed to be sent somewhere else, the documents in each application were exactly the same. The weird thing with the UK passport office is then I had to send each application to a different office, my daughters passport was approved straight away, got it within 6 weeks i think, really smooth easy process, sent to my moms house where i was living, my son's passport was rejected, they don't accept photocopies they want original documents, several phone calls later they're not interested, refused to issue him a passport

my wife left, she'd had enough, went back to Germany, the amount of bad advice from official government offices and the pissing around with the passport meant she didnt want to do a visa application, she doesn't trust them and to be fair she's right

from germany they gave me a case officer at the passport office so i had several emails and phone calls with him, only after i could prove that i no longer lived in the UK would the passport office accept photocopies of my son's german passport and issue him with a UK passport....and despite the emails and phones calls regarding where to send it they of course sent it to the wrong address

i was there for 3 months and the whole thing was a shambles

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

Â