General Chat

Stevo985

On 18/08/2023 at 20:36, Xela said:

Another horrendous crime is the murder of 10yo Sara Sharif, last week, in Woking. Looks like she was beaten to death and her family has fled to Pakistan. Her Dad, Stepmom and Uncle are wanted. Seems like they called 999 once they got to Pakistan. 

What a heartbreaking situation :(

They literally got arrested just outside our crew room when I was going to clock out this evening.  Scumbags.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

News item on sky about the biggest newspaper chain in the US advertising to hire two new Reporters.

One to report on Taylor Swift and the other Beyoncé. 

WTF.

have you ever seen the Britney Spears doc on amazon?

**** that....anyone wanting to be famous needs their head checking, that's not a life

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Doing some work at the folks' house this week, just spotted a couple of schoolkids vaping on a neighbours garage roof. But also clocked that the guy had spotted them and was asking them to get down. So I left it alone. I re-checked a few moments later and realised they weren't getting down and were giving him a bit of lip back so I started walking down the lane to lend my support (Small town, we all know each other). 

Anyway kid 1 looks down the lane in my direction, does a double take and jumps off the roof and legs it in the opposite direction, closely followed by the girl with him. Still got it I thought. How intimidating I must be marching towards them. Chatted with the guy to check he was ok and started walking back.

It was only then that I realised it was probably more the squad car that had pulled up at the end of the lane behind me that had startled them :D 

In the days when I used to commute on the train, I received a few times, the glad eye. I thought, still got it Pete, you never lose it, only for there to be a man 20 years my junior and far far better looking stood behind me. My personal squad car.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2023 at 07:26, Genie said:

It must have been a pretty shit Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Some of the other top 10 are much better

link

On 22/08/2023 at 08:45, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I mean usually the best joke at the fringe is a shit pun. But at least it's a shit pun that makes sense

That just doesn't make sense

On 22/08/2023 at 08:46, Stevo985 said:

It would make more sense if it was "I started dating a leopard. Turns out he was a cheetah"

Turns out the reporting has **** her over here. She didn’t say zookeeper. 

she said

”I started dating someone from the zoo. Turns out he was a cheetah”

Which is still a shit joke. But at least it makes sense

• Thanks 1

This may have been discussed previously in this thread or another, but has anyone ever bought the full collection of those magazines that includes something collectable or something to build? The introductory offer (issue 1) used to be 99p, but the norm now seems to be £1.99. Then subsequent issues are roughly £8.99, but you have to buy 80 to 100 weeks to complete the set. DeAgostini tends to be the brand making and marketing them.

I seem to remember build your own Millennium Falcon, Titanic, Flying Scotsman etc. Sometimes it’s collectable figurines or chess pieces from Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. Currently there is a Dungeons & Dragons one being advertised on the TV and I’ve seen this in the newsagents.

If someone really wanted all issues, they’d be spending best part of £700-£900! It really is bonkers. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

This may have been discussed previously in this thread or another, but has anyone ever bought the full collection of those magazines that includes something collectable or something to build? The introductory offer (issue 1) used to be 99p, but the norm now seems to be £1.99. Then subsequent issues are roughly £8.99, but you have to buy 80 to 100 weeks to complete the set. DeAgostini tends to be the brand making and marketing them.

I seem to remember build your own Millennium Falcon, Titanic, Flying Scotsman etc. Sometimes it’s collectable figurines or chess pieces from Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. Currently there is a Dungeons & Dragons one being advertised on the TV and I’ve seen this in the newsagents.

If someone really wanted all issues, they’d be spending best part of £700-£900! It really is bonkers. 

Often the company that made them would go bust before the end too so it would be impossible to finish the project.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I refuse to believe that anyone has ever completed one. 

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My Dad completed the 'Images of War' one. Think it was about 4 ring binders full. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

My Dad completed the 'Images of War' one. Think it was about 4 ring binders full. 

I don't really mean the part work 'books', I mean the construction kit ones - HMS Victory, etc. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't really mean the part work 'books', I mean the construction kit ones - HMS Victory, etc. 

I remember hearing about some figures on one, may have been the Titanic. Something like 28000 of the 1st copy, 31 of the last 115th copy. 😂

• Like 2

I remember they (DiAgostini) launched the complete Carry On Collection on DVD many years ago now.

Nearly all completed but they failed to send the last 2 in the collection due to "low stock bullshit excuse".

After a bit of a kick off with them, I ended up sending the whole lot back and demanded a refund for it all.

I vowed never to deal with any kind of magazine collectable shite after that.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I remember they (DiAgostini) launched the complete Carry On Collection on DVD many years ago now.

Nearly all completed but they failed to send the last 2 in the collection due to "low stock bullshit excuse".

After a bit of a kick off with them, I ended up sending the whole lot back and demanded a refund for it all.

I vowed never to deal with any kind of magazine collectable shite after that.

2F19372700000578-0-image-a-29_1449367657

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

In the days when I used to commute on the train, I received a few times, the glad eye. I thought, still got it Pete, you never lose it, only for there to be a man 20 years my junior and far far better looking stood behind me. My personal squad car.

I still cringe inside when I remember an incident from a long time ago when I worked in a shop on the high street. A girl from the next town over who actually did a bit of modelling a few years back walked past the full window frontage and I was stood not far from it at the till. She looks in, smiles a big smile and waves, so I do the same back but considering she was waving at my boss (who was the mother of one of her friends) she shot me back a quizzical look as I died a little inside of embarrassment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I had "how my body works" fair play to my mom she got me the lot thinking I'd grow up to be a Dr or some shit, from memory when the ridiculously long run finished they just started again with something else and she rightly cancelled it all

Not a set like build your own train, 900  issues fortnightly for £10 per issue, but my daughter had every edition of the Buffy The Vampire Slayer magazine. A fair few issues. She kept them until she left home and then they went into the hellmouth, or the tip as some call it.

Â