The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

I’m still going but definitely noticed a lack of energy in getting to them. So far this year I've been Dream Theater, Lamb of God, Napalm Death, Devin Townsend, Møl (plus various support acts etc.) but seen them all before. Got Carcass/Unto Others/Conjurer next week which will be good and then Maiden & Spiritbox in July. Its odd, gigs are either missing Birmingham/Wolverhampton and can't be bothered to travel much further. 

• Like 2

Off to see Mandrake Handshake this evening in a very small venue (once Mrs TBA finally gets ready to go...) - they are a nine piece band so it's going to get cosy! 

As for post COVID giggery - I really missed gigs during the lockdown period and had a fair few decent gigs lined up that never materialised or rescheduled so have decided, if there's a band I want to see i'll go to it. 

I'm pushing 50 soon but still love seeing live music - i've got another 5-6 gigs lined up following tonight but all in smaller venues (wouldn't consider an 'arena' gig nowadays)

Edited by theboyangel

I'm the opposite on that front, 2 years without gigs made me realise how much I love them. I'm generally more unhappy out in public than I was in the before times and have a shortened fuse for people's bullshit, but running around in a circle pit to let the rage out is one of the few things keeping me going at the moment. I'm counting down the days until Download now.

• Like 2

Very much on brand I think I've decided on not going tonight either. I live 100m from the venue and I'm on the list so I still might. But I just don't feel like it anymore.

• Sad 2

On 02/06/2023 at 19:16, Davkaus said:

I'm the opposite on that front, 2 years without gigs made me realise how much I love them. I'm generally more unhappy out in public than I was in the before times and have a shortened fuse for people's bullshit, but running around in a circle pit to let the rage out is one of the few things keeping me going at the moment. I'm counting down the days until Download now.

same...the first festival i went to post covid and some nothing early in the day band came on and i had a genuine tear in my eye. but my circle pitting and crowd surfing days are long gone. adding to the fact that a mosh pit is becoming quite a target for phone stealers now...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xann said:

351497227_1010008600166817_8260254762669808851_n.thumb.jpg.99a3cb8aa95c95e4bd633b1c7bc88703.jpg

Know if the site's any good, @StefanAVFC?

Gdansk 'shipyard' sounds very vague, it would be like saying Birmingham 'canal'.

Looks good here from last year:

We also have Poland Rock later in the summer which is very decent.

Pol'and'Rock Line up (polandrockfestival.pl)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Gdansk 'shipyard'

On our lads trip to Sopot we took the train to Gdansk and this festival was going on that day , from the station its the same direction  , so we were walking up the road with all these with green and red hair going to the festival  .. we went to the solidarity museum , I'd never felt so old :) 

On 02/06/2023 at 19:16, Davkaus said:

but running around in a circle pit

I always end up in the pit getting crushed by all these 6 foot plus giants ! always great fun 

I'm really wanting Idles to come to the UK for a smallish gig as that looks like the ultimate mosh pit 

• Like 1

That Mystic lineup isn't too shabby at all. I'd say everyone is up at least a slot or two compared to where you'd see them at some of the bigger festivals, but some really good bands there.

I've been wanting to go to one of the European festivals for years, was thinking Wacken or Hellfest but I might keep an eye out for that next year, it's dirt cheap.

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

They are from Bristol

well I meant gig wise , I wasn't planning on going around to their house for a cup of tea :) 

think they are mainly in the US and down under this year  ( they are supporting Jamie T , whoever he is , in London end of the month but that's a big outdoor gig , I want an indoor small gig ) 

Edited by tonyh29

On 07/06/2023 at 11:04, tonyh29 said:

I'm really wanting Idles to come to the UK for a smallish gig 

Small enough?

I had to stand outside and look through the shop window…

• Haha 1

Heading to Villa Park on Friday, in theory will be stood on the pitch for 3 plus hours. Springsteen, somehow we aren't even staying over and I am driving, so potentially parking at the one stop, assuming that's still ok to park at. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Small enough?

I had to stand outside and look through the shop window…

I might invite them around to play my living room !

• Like 1

My phone calendar has just notified me that I’ve got the Ozzy Osbourne gig tonight. 

Sad times 🥲

Went to see Ice Nine Kills tonight, I suspect the last time I'll ever see them at a venue smaller than an arena, they **** killed it.

Despite their show being brilliant and crazy crowd, the highlight was the opening act, coming out, playing a couple of tracks, their guitarist charged into the crowd, started spinning his guitar around, and word-removed a fan to the face and knocked them out. They made a speedy exit. I seemed to be alone in finding it **** hilarious.

Edited by Davkaus

Off to see Peter Gabriel at the 02 London next week (Monday) - been looking forward to this concert for a long time 🙂

I know some of you lot think probably think he is just a heritage act, but a 22 song set list, of which 11 of those songs is new material off the currently still unreleased album...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Off to see Peter Gabriel at the 02 London next week (Monday) - been looking forward to this concert for a long time 🙂

I know some of you lot think probably think he is just a heritage act, but a 22 song set list, of which 11 of those songs is new material off the currently still unreleased album...

I'm going to see him in Saturday in Brum. Really looking forward to it. I've seen him several times post 2000 and he puts on the most amazing shows.

In no way is he just a "legacy" act if anybody thinks that!

On 11/06/2023 at 09:06, Seat68 said:

Heading to Villa Park on Friday, in theory will be stood on the pitch for 3 plus hours. Springsteen, somehow we aren't even staying over and I am driving, so potentially parking at the one stop, assuming that's still ok to park at. 

I'm a bit concerned that every bit of cheeky parking for miles around is likely to be rammed. But then again, this will be the first gig I've been to in Birmingham for nearly 25 years when I was a teenager, so it's possible that I'm over-thinking it.

Edited by ml1dch

Â