The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Taylor Swift UK tour tickets go on sale this month. I am not sure if Ticketmaster, or her, could have made it more complex. 

When her last album was released, if you bought it from her website then you would be supplied with a presale link if a tour happened in your territory in the future. 

That aside, tour was announced and you had three days to register with Ticketmaster for your chosen venue, London, Cardiff, Liverpool, Edinburgh. 3 day slot to register.

That preregistering would enter you into a lottery of sorts to buy tickets, that pre registering did not guarantee you tickets, it only allowed you to potentially be in the queue to buy tickets. So even if you pre registered, you may not be afforded the opportunity to buy.

So lets say you are successful and they say, yes, you can have a stab at buying tickets, again, no guarantee of tickets, just that you can try. Oh and also the on sale dates are staggered, because Ticketmaster can't run a piss up in a brewery, each date has a different on sale date, and each date has a different pre sale date for those that bought midnights.

So you pre register, you may or may not be chosen to get into the queue, you may or may not be successful for the date that you chose, and you may or may not be able to afford to buy it as without question, the base price for the ticket will be eye wateringly high, and the TM fees on top will take it probably to the highest price I have ever paid for a live event.

Just now, GarethRDR said:

Did anything ever come of the Swiftians wanting to take down Ticketmaster?

Nothing, and with all that chaos of the US tour, and the power she wields, she continues to use them, or the promoter does. Its going to fail, but still I will try.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Taylor Swift UK tour tickets go on sale this month. I am not sure if Ticketmaster, or her, could have made it more complex. 

When her last album was released, if you bought it from her website then you would be supplied with a presale link if a tour happened in your territory in the future. 

That aside, tour was announced and you had three days to register with Ticketmaster for your chosen venue, London, Cardiff, Liverpool, Edinburgh. 3 day slot to register.

That preregistering would enter you into a lottery of sorts to buy tickets, that pre registering did not guarantee you tickets, it only allowed you to potentially be in the queue to buy tickets. So even if you pre registered, you may not be afforded the opportunity to buy.

So lets say you are successful and they say, yes, you can have a stab at buying tickets, again, no guarantee of tickets, just that you can try. Oh and also the on sale dates are staggered, because Ticketmaster can't run a piss up in a brewery, each date has a different on sale date, and each date has a different pre sale date for those that bought midnights.

So you pre register, you may or may not be chosen to get into the queue, you may or may not be successful for the date that you chose, and you may or may not be able to afford to buy it as without question, the base price for the ticket will be eye wateringly high, and the TM fees on top will take it probably to the highest price I have ever paid for a live event.

Must be an awful lot of people with about 19 different lottery tickets given that most of her fans all have every different colour and shade of the last record and no record player. At least they'll have had to break the shrink wrap now

Just now, bickster said:

Must be an awful lot of people with about 19 different lottery tickets given that most of her fans all have every different colour and shade of the last record and no record player. At least they'll have had to break the shrink wrap now

You are not wrong, and as much as I like her, I am not one of them people that would feel the need to see her multiple times, I do suspect there will be a significant number of them who will want to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Bring back physical queueing at the box office for a ticket.

Just now, desensitized43 said:

I remember the days of heading into Birmingham from Telford on a Saturday to go and buy tickets for gigs at the Hummingbird. I have only queued once at the venue, not sure I could do it now.

25 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Shit I must have been 19 the last time I did that because pretty much after that age I either paid at the door, worked the gig or was on the guest list

I think I'd deem it too much hassle these days, hell it was a lot of hassle back then too

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Shit I must have been 19 the last time I did that because pretty much after that age I either paid at the door, worked the gig or was on the guest list

I think I'd deem it too much hassle these days, hell it was a lot of hassle back then too

I think at the time it was less hassle but I don't remember ever not getting a ticket for a gig I really wanted to go to. Now it happens really regularly because the sites are all just grinding to a halt under the weight of the traffic, a lot of it caused by the scalpers rigs and bots flooding the servers with requests. Sat in virtual queues only to get to the front to find all the tickets have gone and then see them listed on touting websites within minutes.

It might be convenient to get tickets while sat behind your desk at work now but I'd argue that it's just as much hassle as it used to be but in a different way.

44 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I think at the time it was less hassle but I don't remember ever not getting a ticket for a gig I really wanted to go to. Now it happens really regularly because the sites are all just grinding to a halt under the weight of the traffic, a lot of it caused by the scalpers rigs and bots flooding the servers with requests. Sat in virtual queues only to get to the front to find all the tickets have gone and then see them listed on touting websites within minutes.

It might be convenient to get tickets while sat behind your desk at work now but I'd argue that it's just as much hassle as it used to be but in a different way.

To be completely honest, the chances of me going to a gig where getting a ticket is going to be an issue as described are probably long gone

We tried to get tickets for PJ Harvey in Manchester and failed but like f*** would I be taking a day off work to go to Manchester to queue for a ticket

I went to a sold out gig last week (House of All) but I was able to buy that ticket a few days after it was announced, it only sold out in the week running up to the gig.

And other than those, I can't think of another recent example.

Blur tonight

im a fan but you kinda think in no universe were they better than Oasis 

bit .. they put on a storming set , far better than I expected  and then they played Tender at the end with a full gospel choir and it might just be the greatest live performance ever , it was just stunning .. absolutely stunning ( ( caveat I had drunk a lot )

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Blur tonight

im a fan but you kinda think in no universe were they better than Oasis 

bit .. they put on a storming set , far better than I expected  and then they played Tender at the end with a full gospel choir and it might just be the greatest live performance ever , it was just stunning .. absolutely stunning ( ( caveat I had drunk a lot )

Oh and I imagine Oasis can’t wheel Phil Daniel’s out to sing a number either … 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Went to a very low key gig yesterday evening, AhGeebe as support and then Sock played their new album.

AhGeebe had Davey Newington on drums and mid set they went off on a real motorik drumming session and it was superb, sort of combined with close to a Hawaiian slide guitar sound which worked really well.

Sock themselves, absolutely no ‘stage presence’ between songs just the occasional apology for being so sweaty and a count down of 4 songs left, 3 songs left… but the music itself was superb. Plenty of music sounds better live, and sounds better live with a ready supply of Cwtch at £3 a can. But it really did elevate their stuff, so chuffed I bothered to go, it had been a bit of a last minute decision as we were in town anyway.

I love those sweet spots in a gig where you can close your eyes and just merge in to the whole thing.

• Like 2

On 06/07/2023 at 09:02, Seat68 said:

Nothing, and with all that chaos of the US tour, and the power she wields, she continues to use them, or the promoter does. Its going to fail, but still I will try.

My wife managed to get us tickets today, although apparently AXS were an absolute shitshow.

In other news, we saw the Hollywood Vampires tonight in Birmingham - Alice Cooper still has it, and Joe Perry is an absolutely phenomenal guitarist.

Biggest pop of the night was reserved at the end for them bringing out Tony Iommi to play Paranoid.

Wasnt expecting much, despite the quality of musicians on show - was mainly an excuse for Mrs Stewie to scream at Johnny Depp for the evening, but they were very good 👍 

• Like 1

On 06/07/2023 at 11:39, bickster said:

We tried to get tickets for PJ Harvey in Manchester and failed

I managed to get tickets for one of her shows here in Oslo. She is playing two nights,and they sold out in eight minutes. One of my top five artists,and i cant stop playing the new album. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers for the fourth time last Sunday 23rd July at Hampden.

I must admit I was apprehensive but they were very good, John Frusciante was on fire.

I've been a fan since 1991 but fell out of love with the band every time John has left the band...

Tried to upload some photos but they are all too big except this one of Flea looking right at me!

20230725_173013.thumb.jpg.eedca4039838527e0469011b8fcba3f1.jpg

• Like 1

Bon Jovi

Adele

Kings of Leon

Fleetwood Mac

Bob Marley

Elton John

Coldplay

Seen ‘em all today, for £40.

It was far better than I expected. I’ve had a couple of beers, I’ve had some nachos, but I bailed out before Take That, Madness, and Queen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by chrisp65

Â