The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Mars Volta this Sunday.  So hyped, I told myself not to get hyped but I am hyped. Got to get past a Taekwondo grading, of all things, beforehand though, then haul ass into London.  It's going to be a weird day.

• Like 2

The sound for me was very poor. My hearing is bad but my wife said the sound was muddy. That all said, as expected Springsteen did very much a crowd pleasing set, I would have one or two others I would have liked to hear but finishing pre encore with Wrecking Ball, Badlands and Thunder Road was fantastic. 

As @ml1dch said, lots of Villa tops, weird seeing the Holte effectively from the pitch. 

In other news not sure I am built for standing that long for a concert any more. 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2023 at 10:00, GarethRDR said:

Mars Volta this Sunday.  So hyped, I told myself not to get hyped but I am hyped. Got to get past a Taekwondo grading, of all things, beforehand though, then haul ass into London.  It's going to be a weird day.

Saw them in Manchester last night. They were incredible. (Hope the grading goes well!)

• Like 2

Saw Peter Gabriel at the NIA last night. As always a superb show, full of humour and warmth and emotion and a real rapport with the audience.

I'm amazed how well he is still singing - I swear he hasn't dropped the key of any of his songs. He's obviously a bit less mobile these days but he still tried to run around the stage like a loon. The set list veered slightly more towards the less hectic songs than previous tours but that's understandable.

Interestingly he chose to play probably 50% brand new songs. A testament to the strength of his new material that they sat so well with the older music.

I miss the days of zorb balls and bicycles and other assorted madness on stage, but the design was still extremely clever and well thought through with a nice linking theme through about life and death our place in the world.

His opening monologue was very funny - apparently we we watching a virtual Peter Gabriel avatar, but unlike Abba, he chose to make himself old and fat and bald. The real Peter Gabriel is apparently ripped and relaxing on a Caribbean beach 😄

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Saw Peter Gabriel at the NIA last night. As always a superb show, full of humour and warmth and emotion and a real rapport with the audience.

I'm amazed how well he is still singing - I swear he hasn't dropped the key of any of his songs. He's obviously a bit less mobile these days but he still tried to run around the stage like a loon. The set list veered slightly more towards the less hectic songs than previous tours but that's understandable.

Interestingly he chose to play probably 50% brand new songs. A testament to the strength of his new material that they sat so well with the older music.

I miss the days of zorb balls and bicycles and other assorted madness on stage, but the design was still extremely clever and well thought through with a nice linking theme through about life and death our place in the world.

His opening monologue was very funny - apparently we we watching a virtual Peter Gabriel avatar, but unlike Abba, he chose to make himself old and fat and bald. The real Peter Gabriel is apparently ripped and relaxing on a Caribbean beach 😄

Off to see him tomorrow at the O2 London, glad you enjoyed it! 

I am so looking forward to this gig.....

36 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

You will as long as you're happy to hear lots of new songs!

Yep looking forward to the new stuff. Not many "mature" artists nowadays are prepared to tour with a set list made up of half new material from a yet unreleased album, but that's typical PG!

Seen him loads of times over the decades....He always puts on a great show!

Was going to nip up the road tonight to Sefton Park to see Fela Kuti's son Sean Kuti lead Fela's band Egypt80 at the Africa Oye festival. It’s free entry and there’s no gates or anything but…. It’s currently lashing it down with added thunder and lightning.

Off licence for wine and chocolate it is then

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Was going to nip up the road tonight to Sefton Park to see Fela Kuti's son Sean Kuti lead Fela's band Egypt80 at the Africa Oye festival. It’s free entry and there’s no gates or anything but…. It’s currently lashing it down with added thunder and lightning.

Off licence for wine and chocolate it is then

I suppose you’re the right side of town for that now? 

I couldn’t make the Sefton Park music day when I was up there in 2019 but would’ve been tempted to go along for free. 

49 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I suppose you’re the right side of town for that now? 

I couldn’t make the Sefton Park music day when I was up there in 2019 but would’ve been tempted to go along for free. 

Yep absolutely, if I can’t be arsed walking it’s three stops on the bus and walk up Lark Lane

But thunder and lightning doesn't make for a great atmosphere for African music no matter how legendary

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of M83 at the Roundhouse in Camden. Absolutely incredible. Gig of the year so far, and I include Mars Volta in that. Midnight City is the definitive air-saxophone tune, Baker Street be damned.

• Like 2

On 28/06/2023 at 23:10, GarethRDR said:

Roundhouse in Camden.

I never find the acoustics very good at that venue .. maybe its just me  , did you notice it much ? 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I never find the acoustics very good at that venue .. maybe its just me  , did you notice it much ? 

Circular rooms will definitely have the sound bouncing all over the place so the only place worth listening to a gig is near the mixing desk

• Like 2

I've only been twice, but found it fine both times but I guess with the caveat that the first time, we were at the front for At The Drive-In, so I would have been too excited to even consider the acoustics, and this time we were at the back, right in front of the sound desk which in my experience tends to be the best place to stand sound-wise for any venue.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

which in my experience tends to be the best place to stand sound-wise for any venue.

This is the universal rule for most gigs over a certain size but tonight I will be seeing House of All in Jimmys and I have no idea where the sound desk even is in the weird L shaped basement room but the venue is small enough that it doesn't matter

• Like 1

Depends on the band but I like the mosh pit mainly .. combination of alcohol and not accepting that I'm too old for bouncing around off people :) 

I'm at Pulp tomorrow night in Finsbury Park  , I'll be happy if I can get somewhere with a  view of the stage !! 

• Like 1

loikjh.jpg.a473dd2518baff38251c6cedb00e6d1f.jpg

Back yesterday after 3 sweaty weeks in a tent, a safe distance away from these people.

Block 9's crew bar opened on the 14th, which seemed early! Shangri La, Unfairground, and Arcadia followed.

DSC_0000287.jpg.11d4b29a41226e26e2ea1f7505b56d8e.jpg   download-1.jpg.ba21526bd0fa2718feb65175b4fb9ca5.jpg

We had a couple of really nice queueless nights.

Then the traders arrived on the Saturday and things got congested until the festival started kicking off proper.

The Bukem set at IICON is my pick of the gigs. He'd deepened the mood of his usual airy atmospherics and hardened the rhythm section.

No MC. Living the dream :) 

Elton's crowd was mad, never seen the rest of the site so empty. Another queueless night.

Daytime activities were hampered by heat.

Attempted to get out and catch shows, but you were getting crispy walking to them, let alone watching anything.

Made a shelter from a tarp and a hedge, invited the neighbours and emerged in the evenings.

• Like 4

In the spirit of Xann, I’m off to Glastonbarry.

It just looked like such great value, £40, and I’m getting to see Queen, Madness, Bon Jovi, Adele, Coldplay, Bob Marley, Elton John.

I’m told, I don’t have to stay all day.

• Haha 1

Â