The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I take it you mean Thanos?

I would seriously doubt it, but you never know. James Gunn, the director, has already said that Quill's father isn't the same person as it is in the comic lore.

I'll put the following in spoilers just in case, but this is just what happens in the comics.

In the Marvel universe, Peter Quill's father is Jason (or J'son) of Spartoi, the King of an alien planet who crash lands on Earth and meets Peter's mother, Meredith, who helps him. They fall in love, presumably bang a number of times, and he stays there for a while as he fixes his ship. When it's fixed, he goes back to his planet as it's embroiled in war leaving Meredith pregnant and alone. Bit of a dick move, but I presume he doesn't know, though he must find out somehow. Maybe he has someone keeping tabs on his Earthling (or Terran as the rest of the galaxy call us) girlfriend.

Anyway, as I said earlier, Gunn mentioned in a recent interview that that storyline will be different in his movies, so I guess it could be anyone. I really don't think it'll be Thanos though, because:

1. Thanos isn't really going to feature in the future Guardians of the Galaxy movies, he's being setup as the main villain for the Avengers films.

2. Thanos wouldn't lower himself to banging a Terran.

3. Meredith, Peter's mother, at the start of the movie said Peter looked just like his father who was an angel. I don't know if you noticed, but Peter doesn't look much like Thanos and Thanos is no angel.

and 4. Thanos is far too important a character in the Marvel universe to change too much, and this would be a pretty massive change.

If you thought it was Thanos because he refers to Gamora and Nebula as his daughters, then you should know they're not his biological children. He 'adopted' them.

Edited by Ginko

Too be honest was thinking of more the Star Wars link with Darth Vader Luke etc. just thought it would be an ironic link if he is guardian of galaxy and his father is one of the destroyers. Know nothing of any comic book history so was just thinking thanos could maybe change his looks, to me, he was made to look a bit like a Greek god, and some mythology says that they could come to earth and take on a human form.

Just initial thoughts really, like I say have never read any of the comics (nor seen Avengers)

Edited by mikeyp102

That's fair enough, I'm a bit of a comic book nerd and when GotG was being made I swotted up on it a bit ;)

Your theory certainly wasn't a bad one by any stretch, but I personally don't think it'll be Thanos. 

Well it's not really spoilers as Gunn said it'll differ from the comics.

But I will go and put them in spoiler tags just in case I suppose, or in case anyone wants to read the comics.

Saving Mr. Banks

Wasn't sure it was my type of film when I put it on and wasn't expecting much but I must say it was very good. Thompson and Hanks were excellent as leads. 

• Like 2

Saving Mr. Banks

Wasn't sure it was my type of film when I put it on and wasn't expecting much but I must say it was very good. Thompson and Hanks were excellent as leads.

Watched this around a week ago with the same mindset before hand and also really enjoyed it.

I just watched The Amazing Spiderman.  Emm....

...was there really any need to kill off Gwen? Very sad.

It was a pretty big moment in the books so was always going to happen, would rather it not have though.

Thought Sin City: A Dame to Kill For was great. Maybe didn't quite hit the heights of the first, but still really enjoyable. Lucy was pretty average, liked the first hour, last 30 minutes was pretty crap.

Edited by kurtsimonw

I just watched The Amazing Spiderman. Emm....

...was there really any need to kill off Gwen? Very sad.

It was probably the only part of the film that I thought was very well done, I'm sure it follows the comics pretty well
So I have Stan Lee to blame?

Safe house with Denzel was pretty good.

Thought Sin City: A Dame to Kill For was great. Maybe didn't quite hit the heights of the first, but still really enjoyable.

I heard this absolutely tanked at the box office.

Yep. Opened to $6m (the original opened to $29m).

Sin City 2 was OK but wasnt as fun as the 1st one. might be because I really dont like Josh Brolin as an actor and he was given too much of a main part. Also Eva Green and Jessica Alba are poor actors

Â