The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Mean Streets - I'd really like to say I loved it, because it has all the ingredients you could ever want. It has absolutely top drawer acting, possibly De Niro's best performance. As a character study it is second to few, but I felt by the end it lacked punch. I understand it is not intended to be plot driven, but ultimately it does not do enough. The world behaves itself a little too much. I also found myself studying as a masterclass in direction, "reinventing the wheel" as it where rather than losing myself in it. That said, it sticks with you. The sum of its parts may not have been enough to blow me away, but the parts it has are evidently marvelous.

Alien is superb because it doesn't rely on special effects.

Its all about the music and the sound effects and the lighting and the tension built up by the actors.

That shit is timeless.

My wife usually jumps at the smallest thing in films and she didn't find it at all scary and was her first time of watching. I think the last time I saw it was 20 plus years ago and it just didn't have the same impact on me as back then.

Aliens tonight, now this is as good as I remember it!

decided to try and do all 4 of them tonight...

lets rock!

8MR9Cgk.gif

Did that not so long ago. Decided Alien3 was the best.
Behave

I thought the Directors cut of Alien 3 wasn't that bad alot better than the normal version

Its a good film.

There's absolutely no chance on earth that its better than either of the first 2 though

I think I had this conversation before, but I loved the bleakness and darkness of it. The first 2 were very good (well, aliens wasn't that good, looks a bit dated now) but I really liked 3. Personal preference.

been i while since i watched it, from what i can remember its not as bad as its made out to be but at the same time not as good as it could be

for one the decision right at the start the film obviously doesnt work without it but that doesnt mean i like it, i think in terms of the theme and the metaphors and how clever the film tries to be is its undoing, if it was a sand alone film it would probably more celebrated than it is

Captain Phillips - Very good, as I expected it to be! Hanks is always good value and the Somalian actors were excellent. 8/10

The Brave One - Revenge thriller starring Jodie Foster. Like a female 'Death Wish'. Not great but not awful either. 5/10

Â