The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Absolutely agree. And I picked Despicable Me and Madagascar because I agree with that too, they're amongst the best of the Dreamworks stuff.

But even those are miles behind Pixar. It's the story, as you say, that sets them apart. The Dreamworks stuff just doesn't have the kind of stories the Disney Pixar ones do.

Sandler probably just likes making comedies, I imagine they're fun to make. Why do movies he's probably less interested in, for less money that're probably less enjoyable to film? I think I'd pick money over ego too!

I saw Only God Forgives tonight. Thought it was okay. It was trying too hard imo. I admire it in a way, quite simple in it's brutality and direction. It just didn't grip me, I was trying to like it more than I actually did. 

No Bronson or Drive. 

• Like 1

Sandler probably just likes making comedies, I imagine they're fun to make. Why do movies he's probably less interested in, for less money that're probably less enjoyable to film? I think I'd pick money over ego too!

Yep I'd agree, filming comedies means just dicking about for a few weeks,

Pixar are certainly the kings of animated films, but I worry they're going the wrong way with churning out so many sequels - they seem to either be running out of ideas or chasing what they think will make the most money (probably both).

In terms of other great animated films, I thought How to Train Your Dragon was brilliant, and Flushed Away is absolutely fantastic, imo.  Honourable mention too for the already suggested Despicable Me.

Just seen the oldboy trailer - DAMN YOU HOLLYWOOD!!!!!

They are going to destroy this film ain't they... One of the best foreign films ever turned into an awful mess by Hollywood. Only director who could have done this movie justice is martin Scorsese.

The trailer also contains so many spoilers. Spike Lee is Ok I guess but I'm certain this movie will stink

marvel are getting in on the act next year, big hero 6, that's the san fransokyo thing I was struggling to remember

im sure Pixar's next film is set in a little girl's head

shame studi ghibli seem to have dried up, I still haven't seen ponyo or arriety, earthsea was mean to be dire and poppy hill from 2011 came out here last month I think (and I couldn't find it anywhere local) I thought the publishing would get better, they really need a blu ray box set

Just seen the oldboy trailer - DAMN YOU HOLLYWOOD!!!!!

They are going to destroy this film ain't they... One of the best foreign films ever turned into an awful mess by Hollywood. Only director who could have done this movie justice is martin Scorsese.

The trailer also contains so many spoilers. Spike Lee is Ok I guess but I'm certain this movie will stink

Seriously, I wouldn't care that much. Hollywood churn out mostly rubbish these days. Too risky and unprofitable to take chances on original scripts without a big name Director behind it

marvel are getting in on the act next year, big hero 6, that's the san fransokyo thing I was struggling to remember

im sure Pixar's next film is set in a little girl's head

shame studi ghibli seem to have dried up, I still haven't seen ponyo or arriety, earthsea was mean to be dire and poppy hill from 2011 came out here last month I think (and I couldn't find it anywhere local) I thought the publishing would get better, they really need a blu ray box set

Arriety is decent. Ponyo is good too. But it's not up to the standards of their previous stuff imo. 

Loved Ponyo. I think mainly because I didn't have a clue what to expect. My sister convinced me to watch i. Didn't realise how highly rated it was.

Was also massively surprised by the all star cast!

Watched the British made "Get Lucky" last night which was supposed to be a sort organised crime drama. Its notable because its stars Emily Atack from the inbetweeners and Craig Fairbrass who my wife thought was from Right Said Fred and not the actor from Eastenders & Cliffhanger.

Utter shite.

They would actually have been better casting the right said fred singer as this relied on so many typical stereotypes its untrue and the story was absolute tripe.

2 out of 10

Â