The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

So Ben Affleck is the new batman. Hmmmmmmmm. Not sure myself, could go either way. His career lately is a complete parallel to when he was a bit younger. Could be a masterstroke.

I actually really like Ben Affleck. He's been mis-cast and done some poor films in the past, but that shouldn't overlook his roles in good films like Dogma or Dazed and Confused, and especially shouldn't take away from his work on and offscreen on his own recent films. Argo was a masterpiece, The Town was brilliant. I think he gets a bit of a bum rap and a bit unfairly so.

He has the physical look and build of Bruce Wayne and the acting talent to pull it off. I think they'd be a lot better off if they gave him some creative control behind the camera too. This film will only fail if the script or directing is poor, not because of Affleck's talent, IMO.

kick ass 2 - wasn't overly fussed when I first saw no 1 (really enjoyed it on the 2nd viewing though) this one IMO is a bit unbalanced, you have the main 2 characters trying to be all serious and reflective whilst everything else is just brilliantly daft, well worth a watch, some genuinely hilarious moments and plenty of violence, really hope they don't do a third, its finished IMO

I haven't seen the sequel, but you pretty much described the issues I had with the first film. I didn't enjoy Kick-ass at all because I didn't think it knew what kind of film it wanted to be. The darker and more serious parts clashed quite badly with the zaniness. I just couldn't enjoy the ride, but I can understand why people did like it.

So Ben Affleck is the new batman. Hmmmmmmmm. Not sure myself, could go either way. His career lately is a complete parallel to when he was a bit younger. Could be a masterstroke.

It's impossible to measure how little I give a Fck about this.

I actually really like Ben Affleck. He's been mis-cast and done some poor films in the past, but that shouldn't overlook his roles in good films like Dogma or Dazed and Confused

He has the physical look and build of Bruce Wayne and the acting talent to pull it off. I think they'd be a lot better off if they gave him some creative control behind the camera too. This film will only fail if the script or directing is poor, not because of Affleck's talent, IMO.

Dogma was good despite him IMO and the second bolded bit would've made me think 'not sure if serious' had it not been such a positive post in general. I have him right 'up there' with Keanu Reeves.

Affleck was great in Dogma and to ignore his performance is to ignore a huge chunk of the film. He was also brilliant in Argo and The Town more recently, which as you know he also directed, and also films like Dazed and Confused and Good Will Hunting.

Yes, he was in some dross, but so have other actors. Armageddon was rubbish, but Bruce Willis was in that movie too but he's still a terrific actor. Pearl Harbour? Terrible, but Matt Damon was in it too. It's the same for a lot of actors. They make good movies, they make bad movies. You should judge them on what they've done lately, and Affleck has been superb in modern times.

Yep, agree almost word for word with what Ginko wrote. He (Affleck) is definitely better behind the camera than in front of it, but he has been very watchable in quite a few movies.

I haven't seen Argo or The Town. I have seen Dazed & Confused and Good Will Hunting. I can't remember the former very well and his was a relatively minor (supporting) role in the latter. Armageddon & Pearl Harbo(u)r I thought he was fairly hilariously bad in. I was only commenting on his efforts in front of the camera. And I won't be watching Argo any time soon.

So why bother posting then? Why would we give a **** about you not giving a ****?

Because all this comic book shit dominates this thread and the useful film recommendations get lost in the trash.

Quite a few people post very good recommendations in here and I've seen some excellent movies I otherwise wouldn't have.

But these days I've to sift through endless comic book movie drivel. Could it be possible to start a new thread?

Honestly it'd probably be very worthwhile. There are loads of threads in OT I never visit because I've no interest in the topic.

I'd just like to separate movie recommendations to movie chit chat tbh. This is a very popular thread so. It could be very worthwhile.

Edited by CVByrne

Or even have a sticky thread. Where everyone has 1 post in it and they can edit that post with recent movies they've seen and what they thought. That way we can get the recommendations easily without the chit chat clutter.

Anyway it's just a suggestion.

So take it up with the Mods or just make a thread for it yourself and see what happens.

Though I don't think you're correct in what you say. There are plenty of posts about foreign or indie films that I always see, they don't get lost in a sea of summer blockbusters as far as I'm concerned. Surely it's just a case of scrolling past the posts about films you don't want to see or read about anyway? Is it really that hard?

By all means, start a new thread and see what happens, though I feel it a tad unnecessary myself. I enjoy reading about all kinds of films in here, I like the variety.

• Like 1

So why bother posting then? Why would we give a **** about you not giving a ****?

Because all this comic book shit dominates this thread and the useful film recommendations get lost in the trash.

Quite a few people post very good recommendations in here and I've seen some excellent movies I otherwise wouldn't have.

But these days I've to sift through endless comic book movie drivel. Could it be possible to start a new thread?

Honestly it'd probably be very worthwhile. There are loads of threads in OT I never visit because I've no interest in the topic.

I'd just like to separate movie recommendations to movie chit chat tbh. This is a very popular thread so. It could be very worthwhile.

Bang on the mark here!!

If all you talk about is avengers, iron man shitty type movies as some posters do on here without mentioning 'proper' movies then you can't really be a movie fan.

Would rather discuss foreign films, classic Hollywood movies, or good new releases rather then endless talk about shite like iron man's new suit or something...like this geek at work who thinks the Godfather is overrated shite but the avengers is the greatest film he has ever seen. Obviously has no respect for movies or knows **** all, just a simple minded idiot

I haven't seen Argo or The Town. I have seen Dazed & Confused and Good Will Hunting. I can't remember the former very well and his was a relatively minor (supporting) role in the latter. Armageddon & Pearl Harbo(u)r I thought he was fairly hilariously bad in. I was only commenting on his efforts in front of the camera. And I won't be watching Argo any time soon.

He doesn't have a major role in Dazed and Confused either, but everyone was bad in Pearl Harbour so surely that says more about the script and direction than the acting, especially when he's been good in the films that he's directed himself?

Why won't you be watching Argo, if I may ask? You're missing out.

Bang on the mark here!!

If all you talk about is avengers, iron man shitty type movies as some posters do on here without mentioning 'proper' movies then you can't really be a movie fan.

Would rather discuss foreign films, classic Hollywood movies, or good new releases rather then endless talk about shite like iron man's new suit or something...like this geek at work who thinks the Godfather is overrated shite but the avengers is the greatest film he has ever seen. Obviously has no respect for movies or knows **** all, just a simple minded idiot

Jesus, I can't believe the sheer arrogance of some people. Pathetic.

You sound like a bunch of guys I went to university with, where we studied Film by the way, though I'm not so high and mighty to claim what I like is what others should like too, and I have a degree on the subject.

People like what they like, get over it. It doesn't make them any less a film fan than you.

What you have to realise is we are talking about all kinds of films in a film thread so stfu or get out or start your own discussion or thread. Pathetic drivel from you both. Utter nonsense.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

It's not a requirement to be a movie fan or expert to post in this thread. Use your mouse and your scroll bar to fix the problem like everyone else does. This boils down to people wanting 'stuff I want to read' and 'stuff I don't want to read' separated. It's selfish and yes it's snobbery. There's plenty I'm not interested in either but I skip over it and my blood pressure remains the same. It takes about a second to ascertain whether you've started reading the wrong kind of post.

• Like 3

Â