The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

8Pints, Why? Not sure what it would have given to the film as I thought Avery was a brilliant character regardless and really enjoyed his 'arc'. The only grumble I had was the miscasting of Joey Tribbiani as Avery's son and the length of time Gosling was in the film for.

Just one of those films I'd have been happy watching for hours and hours even if nothing much happened. The mood and vibe were perfect for me. 

Edited by Ingram85

8Pints, Why? Not sure what it would have given to the film as I thought Avery was a brilliant character regardless and really enjoyed his 'arc'. 

I saw a debate about it on IMDB and wanted to see what your opinion was

Spoiler chat about The Place beyond the Pines---

I agree with you, I don't think it would have given anything to the film but I think if something bad had happened to him, not necessarily death, it would have been quite a different film, a different ending in tone anyway.

Avery was the only one who killed anyone and had no physical retribution but his conscience was heavy, so because of that for me it was more chilling and I had sense although good things happened to him, he'd carry some guilt for all his life rather than seeing him get any payback he may have thought he deserved.

However then that makes me wonder did he even deserve any retribution? I go along with a lot of what this post I found on IMDB says -

Ok someone said Avery was the only one who killed someone for no reason.

There was ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with Avery killing Luke. It sucked and would be depressing for any cop, but he did not do the wrong thing. Luke was known to be a bank robber, which equals a violent felon.

He also had just committed home invasion by breaking into the house. Ok, so Avery shot first. Under the circumstances, if I am the cop and I go through that door and the violent felon has a gun in his hand, I am not waiting for him to point it at me and I am not stopping to tell him to drop the gun and run the chance of getting shot first.

Luke was fair game and Avery did nothing wrong. However, it would still be a hard thing to deal with. No cop would truly want to have to shoot anyone.

The only negative thing to possibly hold against Avery might be that he greatly benefited from the whole ordeal, though that was never really his intention when he walked into that room and shot Luke. Luke was a screw up and it is hard for me to have any great degree of sympathy for him.

I don't like to see anyone die, but to suggest, "oh he was robbing banks just to try and support his family" is crap. The best thing Luke could have done was to lead a legitimate life and try to support his son, otherwise leave town and let him be better off. But then, we would never have had the story.

But it was a decent story about fatherhood and how easily one can screw it up if they do not put their kid first. None of the fathers in this movie did what was best for their kids. All felt bad for it, but none stepped up and did the right thing from the start.

Saw The Lone Ranger last Wednesday

Good fun, and Depp is his usual comic self (although I'd like to see him do a straight role again)

After being on my to watch list for over a decade, have finally got round to watching Schindler's List. Nothing new to add to what's undoubtedly been said, but what a magnificent film - the ability to capture the realities of this history so sensitively was really impressive, and goodness Liam Neeson, Kingsley and Fiennes all deserved oscars, though Neeson was extra superb. 

googling it up later I didn't realise how much of the particulars of the Schindler story were actually true. Amazing.

read the book, schindlers ark, obviously goes in to far more detail and explains the roles of different jews in the ghetto in far more depth than the film could ever do, it doesn't really argue with anything the film says about the main characters, it does maybe suggest that schindler had a lot of fun throwing some the parties to appease the Nazi's (and a lot of women) really good read

DO NOT WATCH  - Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters...... my eyes are still bleeding.......

90 minutes of (predictably) utter utter shite

However, DO watch this Hansel and Gretel, which is an absolutely fantastic (and very disturbing) bit of cinema...

HG+MAIN+ART.jpg

• Like 1

So Ben Affleck is the new batman. Hmmmmmmmm. Not sure myself, could go either way. His career lately is a complete parallel to when he was a bit younger. Could be a masterstroke.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Right now affleck is hot shit. Absolutely brilliant director. Would rather he was directing however then playing batman. Would have liked fassbender as batman.

Hope that znyder clown ain't directing as reported however. He **** up man of steel. Geez that movie was proper proper shit

Watched this last night.

If you are a fan of really well made psychological thrillers in the Hitchcock style, it will definitely be up your street. Superbly acted, with a beautifully twisting storyline.

You can certainly see why it's lauded by many as a classic.

Lesdiaboliquesposter.jpg

• Like 2

So Ben Affleck is the new batman. Hmmmmmmmm. Not sure myself, could go either way. His career lately is a complete parallel to when he was a bit younger. Could be a masterstroke.

dawson-crying-o_zpsf3cd0edb.gif

Â