The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Honestly I've only ever seen 3 good comic book movies and they were actually aimed at adults:

Tdk

Blade

Blade 2

The worst movies I have ever seen are all comic book movies:

Captain America

Thor

Avengers

Honestly their for little kids and teenagers. Not trolling either just giving my opinion.

However don't see harm in talking about new batman as it's such a huge movie. I see Cv's point though that the majority of film talk on here is about comic book movies. 'designer' (I think that's the poster name without scrolling up) posts some excellent films recommendations. However their lost in the endless talk about comic book films

The Two films I saw over the last two weeks:

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - 8/10 - Was worried that after ten years, it wouldn't live up to the standards set in the TV series, but got to say it's pretty much a feature length version of the TV series. Lots of little jokes and snippets that wouldn't seem out of place in the series, and thought the way they transitioned it from small screen to movie was very good, and thought the story line was believable for an Alan Partridge film. Happy it didn't turn out as Alan does the US as was rumoured at one point, it fits with the character that he's still a z list celebrity on a tinpot Norwich radio station, not some US TV host or something like that.

Kick-Ass 2 - 7/10 - Good film, but a little all over the shop with the two story lines, it seems they tried to fit the two comic book series', Kick-Ass 2 and Hit Girl, into one film, and it didn't work too well. Still had some of the charm (violence) of the original though. One of the things I love about the Kick-Ass series is the way it's a believable story of someone trying to be a Superhero in the real world, like how he spent 6 months in hospital in the first after getting stabbed. Almost guaranteed to be a third with the last scene showing a more armored costume, and since there's a Kick-Ass 3 comic, I'd be surprised if that didn't make the transition too.

Anyway, back to films.  Has anyone seen Warm Bodies?  I assumed it was just some horrible modern rom-com rubbish when it came out, but I was looking at recent DVD releases to watch and it seems to have pretty good reviews.  Is it worth a viewing?

I liked it, its not hilariously funny and it might take a while before you get where the huge rip off comes from (it gets to a stage where they aren't even trying to pretend any more) but its just about funny enough and I thought id have a problem with hoult but he was pretty harmless

perfect date film IMO

• Like 1

This debate about "unworthy" films has happened before. I think it was The Hangover: Part II which sparked it last time.

Elysium is getting mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it. It goes a bit EXPLOSION! at times but there's plenty of political/social commentary in there. Not the most original concept and a little clichéd at times. The bad guy, who you might recognise, steals the show.

It's not unworthy films tbh, I had thought awhile back we should have a sticky thread and one post each where we just have a list of 10 or 20 current reccomendations that we edit our own post each time removing old and adding new thoughts etc.. giving ratings out of ten etc.. You'll know who shares similar taste and check their reviews. 

It's an idea. Sometimes I'm at a loss as to what to watch and this thread has lots of good stuff for everyone. It's just the clutter and chit chat merged with reviews that makes it a bit unworkable. Think about it, almost every thread on VT the stuff 10 pages back is out of date and not as relevant. But this thread is different. It's almost a community of it's own in a community. Same with TV shows.

What do people think of an idea to just have 2 sticky threads for TV and Movie reviews/recommendations. Like a quick reference guide to what we are watching and what we like?

Edited by CVByrne

Don't know about a sticky, or if there'd be many wanting to update it, but you could always ask the mods and see what the response is from users.

Are there not other sites that would be better options if you're simply looking for recommendations, though?

What do people think of an idea to just have 2 sticky threads for TV and Movie reviews/recommendations. Like a quick reference guide to what we are watching and what we like?

I think it should have its own area in OT, like the games section, tv and films are discussed far more IMO then you can flood that with threads rather than clutter this thread

Anyway, back to films.  Has anyone seen Warm Bodies?  I assumed it was just some horrible modern rom-com rubbish when it came out, but I was looking at recent DVD releases to watch and it seems to have pretty good reviews.  Is it worth a viewing?

going to watch it in the next few days after hearing good stuff about it

I think it should have its own area in OT, like the games section, tv and films are discussed far more IMO then you can flood that with threads rather than clutter this thread

i kind of like the idea, but i'm not sure there would be enough people using that area to make it work in practice. 

you need a critical mass of people to have a seperate area, otherwise it would just be a dead zone.

It's not unworthy films tbh, I had thought awhile back we should have a sticky thread and one post each where we just have a list of 10 or 20 current reccomendations that we edit our own post each time removing old and adding new thoughts etc.. giving ratings out of ten etc.. You'll know who shares similar taste and check their reviews. 

It's an idea. Sometimes I'm at a loss as to what to watch and this thread has lots of good stuff for everyone. It's just the clutter and chit chat merged with reviews that makes it a bit unworkable. Think about it, almost every thread on VT the stuff 10 pages back is out of date and not as relevant. But this thread is different. It's almost a community of it's own in a community. Same with TV shows.

why don't you start a thread called something like "current top 5 film reviews" or whatever you think the title should be.

it doesn't need to be a sticky.

if it works thats good, it'll stay near the top.

if it doesn't work the thread will slowly disappear.

We'll soon know whether its liked or not.

It will just be like the music thread where instead of xann and Dave posting obscure weird music it'll be CV and Donnie liking each others posts. No thanks. Leave it as is.

P.s. No offence Xann.

Watching District 9 and Pans Labrynth tonight, two excellent films. A good line up on Film 4

I hope they get round to making District 10

Edited by KHV
  • Like 3

I just came in here to comment on the Afleck/batman situation

I am going to hold back on judgement at the moment, I remember my reaction when they announced that Heath Ledger was going to be the joker, I couldn't believe it but it ended up being an absolute genius move.

My only problem is that they were apparently looking for an 'older more grizzled'' version of batman, Christian Bale was 39 whilst Ben Afleck is 41, that's 2 years, hardly an 'older more grizzled' version of batman is it.

Also with them doing batman v superman surely a new batman is going to have a new back story I think that they could have done with making a stand alone film just so the fans get used to him before throwing him into BVS it would give the fans an idea as to weather he works as Bats and it would also show the makers confidence in him as well, I just think that they are going to either make a 4 hour film or just cram everything into a 3 hour film.

oh by the way I think that the comments from a few on previous pages are ridiculous, I love comic book films they may be 'beneath' a few posters but the fans of them films don't go ape shit when people post about their pretentious foreign rubbish that others may not be interested in

P.S. for what its worth I love all genres of film, the last two films I have watched at home were oldboy and mother and I actually discussed them on this very thread so if my mentioning batman offends anyone I apologize from the bottom of my heart

Â