The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Got the lurgy at the moment so fancied a quiet film to distract me from work colleagues ringing me every three minutes. Settled on Bill Nighy’s Living. What a beautiful thing, beautifully delivered. Thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so, I immediately rewound it and watched it again. 

Recommend the Kurosawa version if you haven't seen it.

Decided to watch "The Sister Brothers" again. Even better second time round. One thing I noticed which I hadn't before, Molly, from season 1 of Fargo is in it, playing a hooker. It was the voice that piqued my curiosity, I certainly had to look a few times to make sure. 

Really underrated film, imo. John. C.Reilly, always great to watch. Just how many great films has he been in? I think the first film I remember him in was State of Grace.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

On 15/03/2023 at 23:28, Designer1 said:

Recommend the Kurosawa version if you haven't seen it.

Was my first thought when I finished it. Haven’t watched Ikiru in decades but will be searching my archives for it over the weekend. I know it’s in there somewhere but having decanted several thousand dvds and blurays into folders recently, I’ve no current idea which of the 40-odd files it will be in. Might be the push I need to start to sort them into some form of order. 

Asking for a friend, but can we post about Cocaine Bear in this thread, or is there a special 'Sort of crap, but really quite well done' film thread?

7 hours ago, Anthony said:

Asking for a friend, but can we post about Cocaine Bear in this thread, or is there a special 'Sort of crap, but really quite well done' film thread?

I've already posted about it after I saw it at the flicks (think others have mentioned it too) so have at it! 😀

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I've already posted about it after I saw it at the flicks (think others have mentioned it too) so have at it! 😀

Ah, I missed all that. I only went back a few pages to look for it. In my defence, it was very late at night. 

Anyway, my friend enjoyed it. The film started with bad dialogue, bad direction and wooden acting, but improved. Some really good conic timing in there throughout too. Overall a big thumbs up. So my friend says. 

• Haha 1

Re-watched 12 Angry Men after it was called out in here the other day. It might be one of the 5 best films ever made. Everyone in that film is on their A-game. Imagine this being your debut film you directed. Sidney Lumet is directing the hell out of this as well.

• Like 2

Watched Stillwater tonight

For some reason when I read the synopsis on sky about a redneck going to Marseille in an attempt to free his estranged daughter , I had in my head it would be like one of the Taken films :)

Really enjoyed it , the interaction with Damon and the young French girl was great , one of those times when you almost prayed for the Hollywood sugar coated ending 

13 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

Re-watched 12 Angry Men after it was called out in here the other day. It might be one of the 5 best films ever made. Everyone in that film is on their A-game. Imagine this being your debut film you directed. Sidney Lumet is directing the hell out of this as well.

My favourite movie of all time.

Flawless imo.

(Did you notice how the shots get closer and closer to the actors as the tension rises throughout the movie? Such a great detail.)

• Like 1

Took my little boy to watch Shazam Fury of the Gods last night.

An absolute calamity. Plot holes galore, lots of jumping the shark moments even for a fantasy movie, and too many cheap laughs. Even the various views of families was either too on the nose or just plain hammy.

And they must have paid Helen Mirren and Lucy Lui a heck of a lot of money to be the villains, their roles were appalling.

Not a patch on the first one. I really hope there isn't another. No spoilers, but I genuinely came out thinking, WTF?

All that said, my 11 year old loved it.

Edited by Jonesy7211

16 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

My favourite movie of all time.

Flawless imo.

(Did you notice how the shots get closer and closer to the actors as the tension rises throughout the movie? Such a great detail.)

Also they move the walls very slightly in throughout the film, enclosing them all in..... i think the storm breaks when the jury is completely hung and the fan only starts working when the jury is in favour of acquittal. A gloriously shot film.

• Like 2

Watching Crimson Tide (on Disney+) - far from the best film going but Tony Scott and Denzel rarely make an unenjoyable combination. Hackman and Washington both with good chemistry 

• Like 1

Not at all a bad way to kill a couple of hours, quite funny in parts and solid action. Hugh Grant is the highlight doing his best Micheal Caine impersonation  

image.jpeg.6a8660f016af9dba735aace027a43e77.jpeg

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Not at all a bad way to kill a couple of hours, quite funny in parts and solid action. Hugh Grant is the highlight doing his best Micheal Caine impersonation  

image.jpeg.6a8660f016af9dba735aace027a43e77.jpeg

It is somewhat pleasing to me that Jason Statham's head is identifiable from such a small, low resolution picture.

I've watched loads of movies recently, but not had the inclination to share my thoughts in here.

However, I had the bright idea to watch "You People" on Saturday. Netflix Original starring Jonah Hill and Eddie Murphy.

It's my public duty to tell you all that that movie is absolute dogshit, and you should avoid it at all costs

• Like 3

Â