The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

41 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I think it's possible to make French and Saunders smaller on that poster, but you'd really need to try without it looking too obvious what you were doing.

Wish they’d have made Russel Brand smaller or even better, without him in it entirely.

it’s tough to call who I dislike more, Brand or Corden… both are loathsome 

87e316ff148c2b396b5ae5bfab92de1f21755750

Prisoners of the Ghostland - I thought this had some good moments, at times looked very good visually as you'd expect from Sion Sono, Nicolas Cage was good and entertaining in a sort of over the top silly role, but as I watching I was kind of going back and forth between thinking that it was going to become a sort of cult classic to it wasn't very good. Overall I'd say it was kind of disappointing and probably telling that Sono himself didn't write it because although some of his other films can also be silly and over the top it's usually done in a different way and there's more of an emotional depth to it to balance it out, so by his standards I didn't think it was very good but probably still worth watching if you like Nicolas Cage being over the top and at times it looked very creative visually.

• Like 1

watched Annihilation again and can just say that Alex Garland is brilliant. love how you can interpret the movie from a stance of relationships, identity, threat of the unknown and cancer. it's both clever and disturbing and beautiful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

watched Annihilation again and can just say that Alex Garland is brilliant. love how you can interpret the movie from a stance of relationships, identity, threat of the unknown and cancer. it's both clever and disturbing and beautiful.

Sonically and visually a very interesting watch, as is EX-Machina. 

He's involved in the new Halo film, so high hopes for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, osmark86 said:

This film was so good.

I had it in my head that it was shit, and I have no idea why.

So when I finally got round to watching it I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd never heard of Annihilation but it looks interesting - from the initial blurb though it sounds very much like Tarkovsky's Stalker - is it very similar? Inspired by Stalker?

Yeah, people have made the comparison to both Stalker and Solaris.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This film was so good.

I had it in my head that it was shit, and I have no idea why.

So when I finally got round to watching it I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was

it's definitely not shit, but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't take to it. maybe it's because of poor expectation mgmt. 

in any case it's a very good movie with layered messages. love how it deals with the theme of creation through destruction and how that ties together with how we constantly change through some form of biological violence and how that is tied together with disease and disorders and general change of identity over time. discussing all of this through the lens of a terrifying alien phenomena is just brilliant imo.

are we really ourselves if all our cells have been replaced over a period of time? if we face life-changing trauma?

lol I'm done, but seriously love this movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd never heard of Annihilation but it looks interesting - from the initial blurb though it sounds very much like Tarkovsky's Stalker - is it very similar? Inspired by Stalker?

I highly recommend it. I actually haven't seen Stalker yet so I wouldn't know, but that's a movie I have been meaning to watch for a couple of years so maybe I should quit stalling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

I wish new movie trailers were less revealing, I'd like them to hold more back so I can enjoy whatever emotion a scene stirs within, rather then going into a movie waiting for the highlights already revealed to me months ago.

I still remember the Terminator 2 trailer completely ruining the film.

If you watch the first 20-30 minutes, it's clearly shot to make you think Arnie is the baddie again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched Romeo + Juliet for the first time on Valentine's Day at MAC, in their meal-and-a-movie offering. Took a while to get into the 'feel' of Shakespearean dialogue in 90's California, but once I was there it was pretty good. You could write a treatise on how fetishistically Di Caprio is shot though, camera never lets you forget how his body is the star of the show.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

If you watch the first 20-30 minutes, it's clearly shot to make you think Arnie is the baddie again.

Can't remember that trailer but I didn't want to watch the trailers for some of the upcoming biggies but did this morning and jurassic revealing old cast members, and strange just revealed way too much was mildly annoying. 

Imagine a modern day trailer for vertigo.

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I wish new movie trailers were less revealing, I'd like them to hold more back so I can enjoy whatever emotion a scene stirs within, rather then going into a movie waiting for the highlights already revealed to me months ago.

Old trailers are way WAY worse for this to be honest. They used to literally tell you the plot

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Salvation was a bad one too

Edit - that's why I think the new Dr strange one is good, it shows loads but it's obviously played with the sequencing and it's at such a frantic pace that you can't piece it together, you know certain (potentially awesome) things are in it but you can't apply context because of how the trailer is put together 

Edited by villa4europe

Â