The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just back from Venom 2.

Yeah, really enjoyed it - running time absolutely flew by as it's a much more focussed and streamlined movie than the first (which I thought was OK)

Loads of fun, some good set pieces and Harrelson does wide eyed crazy really well so that was a bonus. 

• Like 2

On 19/10/2021 at 13:30, Designer1 said:

Same lady that did Raw isn't it? If its half as good as that it'll be a belter. Let me know what you think.

Sorry pal missed this, don't want to say too much, even the listing on IMDb has a misleading synopsis. Its different to raw but every bit as good, maybe better for me, I wouldn't hang about, find it or better still, see on the big screen, I bet it looks amazing at the cinema.

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

The Last Duel looks like being one of the years biggest flops. Forecasted to absolutely tank at the box office.

Ridley Scott is such a hit and miss director but he's definitely become more miss than hit these days.

Ridley Scott is a shadow of his former self - his Alien ‘prequels’ were dull, convoluted, naval gazing twaddle…

His last decent film was The Martian (which I put more credit on the actual source material than the direction) but before that is 2007s American Gangster.

I don’t rush to watch a Scott film nowadays… 

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Ridley Scott is a shadow of his former self - his Alien ‘prequels’ were dull, convoluted, naval gazing twaddle…

His last decent film was The Martian (which I put more credit on the actual source material than the direction) but before that is 2007s American Gangster.

taking it back to cage...matchstick men is worth a watch, kingdom of heaven is rescued by a decent 3 hour long directors cut

last duel is at 87% on RT

but it will be filed alongside green knight as a film that i really should watch and will probably enjoy but on paper i think is not my type of film

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

100% agree about the Martian. I couldn't put that book down. As good as that film is though, it's still not as good as the source material. Cuts out key plot points, like him shorting out the pathfinder rover and the journey he takes to the second launch site took about 3 minutes of screentime glossing over just how arduous that was in the book (including him rolling the rover in a crater).

He's a director where his peaks (Alien, Gladiator, Blade Runner, The Martian etc) are magnificent but his lows (Prometheus, Covenent, Kingdom of Heaven etc) are equally as spectacular in their crappiness.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

taking it back to cage...matchstick men is worth a watch, kingdom of heaven is rescued by a decent 3 hour long directors cut

last duel is at 87% on RT

but it will be filed alongside green knight as a film that i really should watch and will probably enjoy but on paper i think is not my type of film

Have to agree about Matchstick Men - almost mentioned that in the Cage discussion! 

55 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

100% agree about the Martian. I couldn't put that book down. As good as that film is though, it's still not as good as the source material. Cuts out key plot points, like him shorting out the pathfinder rover and the journey he takes to the second launch site took about 3 minutes of screentime glossing over just how arduous that was in the book (including him rolling the rover in a crater).

He's a director where his peaks (Alien, Gladiator, Blade Runner, The Martian etc) are magnificent but his lows (Prometheus, Covenent, Kingdom of Heaven etc) are equally as spectacular in their crappiness.

I actually enjoyed both alien prequels, they are both stunning looking films which is his main strength as a director, hopefully his next film is the third alien prequel and not some other junk.

6 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I actually enjoyed both alien prequels, they are both stunning looking films which is his main strength as a director, hopefully his next film is the third alien prequel and not some other junk.

Interesting you had such a different take on those. I had such high hopes for Prometheus but I found it far too complicated and it seemed to get lost in an attempt to flesh out "the alien universe" to explain why we're here, where the aliens came from, what's the deal with the "engineers". Questions no fan of the Alien franchise was actually asking.

Convenent I felt was better as an "Alien" film, but only really functioned to "fix" alot that was wrong with Prometheus.

undeniably stunning films

with plot holes so big you could pilot the solaco through them ruining the film and i dont mean the obvious running in a straight line

Spoiler

the 2 biologists or whatever they were who go in to the ship aided by futuristic incredible tracking devices and mapping systems get scared by a dead alien, run off, got lost, get excited by a living alien... i was pretty much out from there

• Like 2

On 19/10/2021 at 19:23, Mark Albrighton said:

I think it’s probably Cage, but there’s no doubt in my mind that his shit films are more entertaining than Willis’ shit films.

John Cusack is another actor who I really like but seems happy to just churn out straight to video dross.

Die hard 5 is probably in my top 3 worst films of all time, along with Congo, and the last 15 mins of AI.

And yeah, what’s up with Cusack. Loved some of his earlier stuff (Gross Point Blank is amazing), but now…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

After the book which I read at least twice a year, I cannot watch the Martian.

Struggle to see how he can make the masterpieces you mentioned.

As an aside if you liked the Martian, you 100% need to read Project Hail Mary. Incredible book. 

I enjoyed Artemis too, although I know some folk just can’t abide it.

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

The Last Duel looks like being one of the years biggest flops. Forecasted to absolutely tank at the box office.

Ridley Scott is such a hit and miss director but he's definitely become more miss than hit these days.

I never knew that film existed until the day it was released and I watch lots of trailers and upcoming film stuff on Youtube.

Whoever did marketing for that film should probably consider a new career.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

I'd watch Jodi Comer doing the washing up  ..but that said I haven't seen the film , the trailer didn't exactly sell it to me 

• Like 1

On 20/10/2021 at 04:22, Stevo985 said:

I don't really understand people saying No Time To Die is "slower" than the other Craig Bond movies.

Did you not see Spectre? One of the slowest and dullest films I've seen.

Right up there with TInker Tailor Soldier Spy in the award for "nothing **** happens"

Ooh dont diss Tinker Tailor. The subtext itself is another character.

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Ooh dont diss Tinker Tailor. The subtext itself is another character.

Comparing the genius of TTSS to bloody James Bond should be a shootable offence.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Comparing the genius of TTSS to bloody James Bond should be a shootable offence.

Oldman was superb in TTSS,  great actor, guilty pleasure is him as Bexy in the Firm  

Â