The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Oldman was superb in TTSS,  great actor, guilty pleasure is him as Bexy in the Firm  

Why guilty pleasure? The Firm is a great movie and he's superb in it.

At least they didn't glamourise the hooligan aspect like some other films I could mention **Cough**Green Street**Cough**

10 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

At least they didn't glamourise the hooligan aspect like some other films I could mention **Cough**Green Street**Cough**

Did you see ID back in the day? A bit on the nose at times but well acted.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

the nemesis of the football holligan...the journalist...said no football hooligan ever

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the nemesis of the football holligan...the journalist...said no football hooligan ever

Seems to me the main problem with films about hooliganism, and to some degree racism and prejudice in general, is that they try to make sense of what is fundamentally senseless.

I get it, that's what films (and all types of art) are for, but in some cases it's not possible, because you are trying to find the thinking and motivation behind thoughtless and motiveless acts.  

17 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Did you see ID back in the day? A bit on the nose at times but well acted.

yes, he morphed from under cover copper to hooligan with a tattoo on his arse who drank milk straight out of the bottle from the fridge  The gaffer of the pub could 'smell' old bill 🤣 down the 'kennel' 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

yes, he morphed from under cover copper to hooligan with a tattoo on his arse who drank milk straight out of the bottle from the fridge  The gaffer of the pub could 'smell' old bill 🤣 down the 'kennel' 🤣

It is full of 'Cockney Geezers' to be sure.

22 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Seems to me the main problem with films about hooliganism, and to some degree racism and prejudice in general, is that they try to make sense of what is fundamentally senseless.

I get it, that's what films (and all types of art) are for, but in some cases it's not possible, because you are trying to find the thinking and motivation behind thoughtless and motiveless acts.  

It's the fackkin buzz, offside on their manor 30 handed no old bill, turn the corna and wallop it's an off, gotta do the business for clab and cantry 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

I love you Gumbo 

Have you noticed that the way that films like this (ID and the very similar (story wise) Donnie Brasco) show the main cop 'going to the dark side', or 'losing themselves' or whatever, is by filming them giving their wives a damn good seeing to over a kitchen appliance? 

That must be the moral threshold. And why there are security guards at the doors in Curry's.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Ridley Scott is like the ultimate jobbing director. He will make something brilliantly well, but whether that's a Fabergé egg or glittery turd is completely down to the material he's given.

Also he get's this credit as visionary, and that his films are visually spectacular. I wonder how much of that is down to his DP? 

I've just seen the Uncharted trailer. 

As a massive fan of the games I could probably live with Tom Holland as Nathan Drake mainly because he is known for his incredible real life agility, but Mark Wahlberg as Sully is horrible horrible casting. The action in the trailer looks great to be fair, but I know I'm gonna struggle getting into it. 

Edited by HKP90
  • Thanks 1

im not a fan of holland as drake if im honest, guessing they went young in an attempt to get a franchise on the go and 3 films is near 10 years, i like holland and walhberg as actors though so it shouldnt bother me too much

the airplane stuff with the crates looks way over the top...and yet perfectly fits in with the game, i can see that as a level straight away, gave me memories of the train in 3 (?)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

im not a fan of holland as drake if im honest, guessing they went young in an attempt to get a franchise on the go and 3 films is near 10 years, i like holland and walhberg as actors though so it shouldnt bother me too much

the airplane stuff with the crates looks way over the top...and yet perfectly fits in with the game, i can see that as a level straight away, gave me memories of the train in 3 (?)

Think the train is 2 and the airplane is 3. Didn’t enjoy 3 as much, but 4 is amazing.

Hope it’s good anyway.

• Like 2

Just now, HKP90 said:

Think the train is 2 and the airplane is 3. Didn’t enjoy 3 as much, but 4 is amazing.

Hope it’s good anyway.

again its been a while here but the scene where he dives in the water and then comes up looking at the pirate ship reminded me of 4

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I never knew that film existed until the day it was released and I watch lots of trailers and upcoming film stuff on Youtube.

Whoever did marketing for that film should probably consider a new career.

Astounding isn't it. It's got Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Adam Driver in it, and Ridley Scott is directing it, and you didn't think anyone would be interested in knowing about it?

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Astounding isn't it. It's got Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Adam Driver in it, and Ridley Scott is directing it, and you didn't think anyone would be interested in knowing about it?

Usually when they abandon marketing it's because they know they are serving up a soggy turd and are trying to cut losses out of the gate.

Â