The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

16 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I wish one of the big inventive talented directors would have a crack at the genre, just for the buffs. 

Well, we have Robert Eggers and Ari Aster at the moment doing stellar work in the genre, and creative forces like Issa Lopez, Benson and Moorhead so maybe they will encourage others to follow suit.

I love an old fashioned 'hokey' horror movie but the genre has definitely moved on in some areas and is all the better for it.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's one I'm probably not going to bother with. I like some of his movies (Isle of Dogs, Fantastic Mr Fox, Royal Tenenbaums), but they're mostly a miss for me. 

One of those directors I don't really get. 

Yeah, he has such a distinctive visual and dialogue style that I can see why some people wouldn't like him.

Personally I think he's a god damn genius.

• Like 3

Just now, Designer1 said:

Yeah, he has such a distinctive visual and dialogue style that I can see why some people wouldn't like him.

It's one of those.

Like Grand Budapest Hotel. I mean I could tell that was a brilliant film, visually, script wise etc

But I just didn't like it.

The French Dispacth looks like the most Wes Anderson film of all Wes Anderson films as well so I'm guessing I won't like it :D

If I get a week where there's nothing else on I'll give it a go

39 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Overall I enjoyed it but I'll admit to being a Myers fanboy so my viewpoint is probably slightly skewed. It was a real 'patchwork' of a movie, with some things working and some things being absolute bobbins.

Reveal hidden contents

The Good

The firefighter scene
The 1978 flashbacks
The finale (I liked it because it proved once and for all that he's not supposed to be human - he's an evil force of nature that's going to be incredibly difficult to finish off)

The Bad

Bringing back Sheriff Brackett and Marion - Just why? Why would she especially have any long term attachment to the town and Myers (especially when Halloween 2 is non canon). Brackett just felt like badly done fan service. Poor C.Cyphers looks terrible.
Bring back Tommy and Lindsey I could kind of understand, but then ruining it by having one of the most OTT performances I've seen in recent times from A.M Hall. He was terrible!
Using a gay couple as a bit of comedic relief - really? 
Sidelining Jamie Lee for pretty much the whole running time - unforgivable.
Most of the dialogue was terrible - the days of bad dialogue in horror movies has mostly moved on but films like this just drag it all back.

The 'Get in the **** sea!'

"Evil dies tonight!!!"  **** off.

So yeah, after the excellent Halloween 2018 I expected more - hopefully Ends will be a decent finale.

About 25 years ago I hired the Shatner mask, dressed up in a pair of my Dads work overalls and got a large realistic looking 12 inch plastic carving knife. Next door fancied himself as a bit of a 'hard case' so Dad suggested I go round when it was dark, with Dad with his camera in the background and knock his door. He answered and i just stood there doing the head to one side routine staring at him. Never seen such abject terror on anyone's face , he slammed the door and was shouting for his wife to call the police etc. 

Probably would not get away with it now and Christ knows what my old man was thinking but at the time was hilarious. Took the neighbour several months to eventually see the funny side. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Just watched The Hustler, 60 years old now, absolute perfection, Newman, Gleason and Scott bang on the money. Great Jazz score by Kenyon Hopkins too. 10/10.

Did it back to back with the colour of money last Christmas when she took the kids out for the day, both great films 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah Wes Anderson is very much a marmite director as his style is so distinct. I heard someone say the only knock on Paddington 2 is that it was too much like a Wes Anderson movie 😂

9 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Speaking of Grand Budapest Hotel, Ralph Fiennes is glorious in that 

It kinda took me aback to see Ralph Fiennes be so comedic and it working. 

But then afterwards I remembered that he’s pretty funny in “In Bruges” too (along with being fairly menacing) so it shouldn’t have surprised me that he could hold his own with comic timing and the like.

I saw Dune. Very impressive. There's been nothing like it before. It doesn't spoon feed the audience. You have to suss things out yourself. The pacing, the scale, the sound, the visuals all very sophisticated and state of the art. The only weakness was some of the dialogue. But nobody watches sci fi films for the dialogue. It is a chilling and humorless experience, but you can't look away. Watch it in a IMAX if you can. Bring on volume 2!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Off to see the French Dispatch later.

Really looking forward to it, I love a bit of Wes 🥰

It was very good indeed.

My only issue was with the episodic nature of the story which felt a little hit and miss and some sections overstayed their welcome.

Apart from that, Wes gonna Wes.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's one of those.

Like Grand Budapest Hotel. I mean I could tell that was a brilliant film, visually, script wise etc

But I just didn't like it.

The French Dispacth looks like the most Wes Anderson film of all Wes Anderson films as well so I'm guessing I won't like it :D

If I get a week where there's nothing else on I'll give it a go

One of my all time favourite movies, an absolute masterpiece.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2021 at 10:22, MaVilla said:

So, i went to see Dune today.

as an FYI, i am as mentioned before, a massive, huge, gigantic fan of the books, i have read Dune probably 10+ times, probably 15+ times tbh, i have read Messiah, Children and God Emperor probably 5+ times each, and i have read Heretics & Hunters a couple of times at least.

I just wanted to say that so i can make it clear the angle i am coming from when i give my personal review of the film, as my view might be skewed a little as im a bit if a Dune nerd.

I took my missus with me to see the film, and after the first hour i actually sat there thinking, "you wont know what half of this means", the film does its best i think to explain things on a basic level, but there are things not mentioned or covered at all, that in my personal opinion are critical to understanding the universe, that just arent covered, probably because there just isnt enough time.

When i have seen reviews prior to me seeing it, many said "you dont need to read the books to understand and get the movie", now having seen it, i think anyone who said that must mean "you can understand the surface and most basic level", because there was so much not covered or explained, that it would be literally impossible for anyone to understand the underlying background and story.

I spent the whole drive home explaining to my missus, who are the Bene Gesserit, what do they do, why, what powers they have, other memory, prana bindu, their ultimate goals, why they have them, what it means for the universe, then explaining all about the spice, what it does, how it works, why its important politically and for general survival, i also spent time explaining the Kwisatz Haderach, what was the goal, what was the plan, why is this person important, what does it all mean, i also spent time explaining the story ark and why it isnt quite what it seems on the surface.......and so on and so forth.

Anyway, the film itself is very beautiful, the sound is bombastic and powerful, some of the scenes are amazingly well done, i do think there were a couple of scenes i wasnt sure about, but overall it was a very well built and beautiful film.

I found the movie quite slow, but it is only part 1, and this film felt very much like a pre-amble, trying to build the world and help people understand the universe as best as possible, as a lot happens in the second half of the book and its much more action based etc, if you dont understand the basics of part 1, part 2 will probably be lost on you also, so im ok with the slower pace of part 1.

However, dont think im saying it isnt a great movie, i think Villeneuve has done an amazing job trying to adapt a very complex and nuanced story, it is visually beautiful, the sound is visceral and raw, i think its vastly better than the 1984 version.

Im looking forward to part 2 for sure, if Villeneuve can land part 2, it will be an amazing spectacle.

So in closing, i think it has the potential to be a masterpiece if Villeneuve lands the second part, and if he does do messiah as part of a 3 part series, it could be a really special set of films.

Really impressed overall.

For anyone who did love the movie, i hope at least some of you decide to read the book(s), they are truly an amazing series of books.

I read that Tolkien hated Dune.

Â