The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

tumblr_pb5pkqenWx1x79ktmo4_540.gifv

Lola (1961) - Some of the best musicals have something of the fantastic about them, this wasn't a musical but still had a fantastical quality to it, and it was really well done the way the different characters either mirrored or were doubles of each other. I've seen four Jacques Demy films now and they've all been very good, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg still my favorite.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

tumblr_pb5pkqenWx1x79ktmo4_540.gifv

Lola (1961) - Some of the best musicals have something of the fantastic about them, this wasn't a musical but still had a fantastical quality to it, and it was really well done the way the different characters either mirrored or were doubles of each other. I've seen four Jacques Demy films now and they've all been very good, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg still my favorite.

Thank you for this lovely gif

23 hours ago, Rodders said:

I would most likely assume it's the prop master who's at fault for not looking after the guns properly. ..

It’s being reported the person was in her 20’s and was new to the job.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s being reported the person was in her 20’s and was new to the job.

They brought in scabs for the day, so it seems like a total rando without union credentials was handed the responsibility. Baldwin is going to get sued for a fortune.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

They brought in scabs for the day, so it seems like a total rando without union credentials was handed the responsibility. Baldwin is going to get sued for a fortune.

I assume her “defence” will be that she wasn’t properly trained or told what she should be doing.

Who’s responsibility is it to ensure the person doing that job is sufficiently qualified? The director?

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I assume her “defence” will be that she wasn’t properly trained or told what she should be doing.

Who’s responsibility is it to ensure the person doing that job is sufficiently qualified? The director?

The producer, Baldwin. 

Just now, maqroll said:

The producer, Baldwin. 

Ouch, so he’s in quite a lot of bother then.

A huge fine/compensation payout might be the least of his problem then. He could go to jail for this I assume? 

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Ouch, so he’s in quite a lot of bother then.

A huge fine/compensation payout might be the least of his problem then. He could go to jail for this I assume? 

Involuntary manslaughter at worst, but he's wealthy enough to afford a lawyer who has the juice to get him off. I doubt he spends a day behind bars. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Dune was absolutely stunning. 

If you have any intention of seeing it then try to watch it on the big screen. Visually and sonically its a masterpiece.

Thought the same, just wish he could balance in a bit more heart and soul to his work which would have made this absolute perfection. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Thought the same, just wish he could balance in a bit more heart and soul to his work which would have made this absolute perfection. 

I think it's a time issue.

Paul and Jessica were well fleshed out (Chalamet does melancholy very well) but with so much story to get through I don't think it's a surprise that many of the secondary characters didn't get too much development.

If you've read the book you'll know that it's full of inner monologues which cover off that aspect very well. Unfortunately just not possible for the movie.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Paul and Jessica were well fleshed out (Chalamet does melancholy very well) but with so much story to get through I don't think it's a surprise that many of the secondary characters didn't get too much development.

If you've read the book you'll know that it's full of inner monologues which cover off that aspect very well. Unfortunately just not possible for the movie.

My thoughts too - I thought the first hour in particular felt rushed, there's so much to get through that we don't stop long enough to learn to care about these characters - they become caricatures to an extent - this is the good hearted heroic warrior, this is the deep thinking troubled king etc and then when things happen to them, we're not emotionally invested - but my word it's a beautiful film to watch. I went with someone who loves the books and they were really happy with the film in terms of how they were represented, but still, I felt we didn't get the full benefit of the characters. 

I guess it's an impossible film to make properly because of how much happens - don't get me wrong, I thought the film was excellent and I really enjoyed it but I couldn't help but think it'd make an even better fourteen episodes of series one - it's strange how TV has evolved to become that medium.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I've found it with this directors other works too, not bashing him, there are aspects to what he does that are better than his contemporaries, it might just be me but I feel he has another couple of levels to add to his game that could make him an all time great. Your description that Dune is visually and sonically a masterpiece is exactly how I felt but I wanted more and I'm not sure what. Definitely not kids appeal star wars type stuff, maybe a little Capra dust, you know, that unseen magic that makes films special, to love them and respect them and not just respect them which is how I feel about Dune.

I haven't read the novel but from what I gather it is nigh on impossible to film. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

My thoughts too - I thought the first hour in particular felt rushed, there's so much to get through that we don't stop long enough to learn to care about these characters - they become caricatures to an extent - this is the good hearted heroic warrior, this is the deep thinking troubled king etc and then when things happen to them, we're not emotionally invested - but my word it's a beautiful film to watch. I went with someone who loves the books and they were really happy with the film in terms of how they were represented, but still, I felt we didn't get the full benefit of the characters. 

I guess it's an impossible film to make properly because of how much happens - don't get me wrong, I thought the film was excellent and I really enjoyed it but I couldn't help but think it'd make an even better fourteen episodes of series one - it's strange how TV has evolved to become that medium.

Yes, this.

21 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Dune was absolutely stunning. 

If you have any intention of seeing it then try to watch it on the big screen. Visually and sonically its a masterpiece.

I'm going back to see it in IMAX for this very reason.

Mine was an advanced screening so it was just a normal, fairly small screen.

I imagine 2D IMAX would be the absolute perfect way to watch it

On 16/10/2021 at 08:19, Big Salad said:

Halloween Kills was absolutely fantastic, even better than the first one. Hated it got delayed from last year but well worth the wait, theater was jam packed also. Not gonna spoil it for those yet to see it but let us just say it ended very nicely in setting up the third one that comes out next year.

Totally agree, superb 

Spoiler

loved the way he took out the fire team 

• Like 1

I read the book a couple of years ago and I think the attack where everyone does happens relatively early in the story, so a lot of the side characters (e.g. the father) aren't as well developed in the books as you might imagine. But I can definitely see if this was a 10-12 hour HBO series it would be even better.

I really liked the film nonetheless. I thought it felt focused, which is good given the book is pretty sprawling and a bit impenetrable at times. And obviously Villeneuve is one of the best in the business when it comes to visuals.

It's a shame in a way that the visuals were so muted in terms of colour. It's very different to existing properties and makes it all feel like a coherent, real world - but I'd love to see what Villeneuve could do with some iconic designs like the X-Wings or Stormtroopers from Star Wars. You can't just drop them into something like Dune but I feel like he could get a sense of scale and wonder back into Star Wars or Star Trek or Alien if they convinced him to make a movie for them.

Edited by Panto_Villan

Watched Nomadland last night, and whilst it was nice to look at and the main character well portrayed by Frances McDormand (who is always excellent) it came across almost like a documentary about the American nomadic lifestyle instead of a movie.

It was interesting but don’t think it was Oscar worthy! 

Â