The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Solid Tom Hanks spooky comedy on this evening at 9pm (Horror Channel) - The Burbs.

Now I probably haven’t seen this movie for 20 odd years, so be interesting to see if it’s still as funny as I remember. 

It is 

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Solid Tom Hanks spooky comedy on this evening at 9pm (Horror Channel) - The Burbs.

Now I probably haven’t seen this movie for 20 odd years, so be interesting to see if it’s still as funny as I remember. 

Good film! 

I always enjoyed The Frighteners as a spooky comedy - great fun and a little underrated! 

• Like 4

Not a huge horror fan - far from it in fact - but the original Scream is on my green list. Great fun.

Scream 2 also decent but worth watching for Luke Wilson playing Billy in the Stab film alone 

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

'What have you got in the cellar, Herr Klopek!?'

Brilliant movie.

• Haha 1

64d879b01f4b88eae627a957d4a6146c.jpg

Gaslight (1944) - Apparently the origin of the psychological term 'Gaslighting', a really good movie.

jeanne_dielman.jpg

Jeanne Dielman - I thought it was good, well shot, and for a three plus hour movie where for the most part there's no dialogue and not much happens it goes by pretty quickly.

current_28635id_013_medium.jpg

Muriel, or the Time of a Return - I liked the way it looks, and was edited in an interesting way.

I watch Coppola's Dracula about once a year, and I always get a bit blown away by it. This is a good retrospective on it, and some of the same things that I appreciate about it. The effects work is incredible in it's simultaneous precise complexity and brilliant simplicity, and sets the tone and atmosphere for the whole thing as a modern take on a 30s horror.

I get that it's an incredibly easy to mock movie - the dreadful Keanu performance, it's absurdly melodramatic and self serious, it has that very specific Gothic romance revival tone from the late 80s/early 90s that aged like milk - but the artistry and quality of everything else is so good I have to love it. Even with everyone hamming it up to the nth degree and the fact it's not really a terribly accurate adaptation and so on. It's **** great.

• Like 3

Watched them there Zygote this week and am now back to being pissed about not getting a Blomkamp Alien movie.  Chappie *shudder* had put me right off the notion, but now I'm firmly back to pissed.  Goddamnit Ridley, and all for the sake of shitting out Prometheus and Covenant.  Jesus wept.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Good film! 

I always enjoyed The Frighteners as a spooky comedy - great fun and a little underrated! 

Another oldy - even older than The Frighteners -  is "House" with William Katt (of "The greatest American hero" fame) from 1985. Got a very Sam Raimi type vibe.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

I watch Coppola's Dracula about once a year, and I always get a bit blown away by it. This is a good retrospective on it, and some of the same things that I appreciate about it. The effects work is incredible in it's simultaneous precise complexity and brilliant simplicity, and sets the tone and atmosphere for the whole thing as a modern take on a 30s horror.

I get that it's an incredibly easy to mock movie - the dreadful Keanu performance, it's absurdly melodramatic and self serious, it has that very specific Gothic romance revival tone from the late 80s/early 90s that aged like milk - but the artistry and quality of everything else is so good I have to love it. Even with everyone hamming it up to the nth degree and the fact it's not really a terribly accurate adaptation and so on. It's **** great.

Not to shit on your enjoyment but for me it's the worst film ever made, admittedly Mission Impossible 2 gives it a run for it's money but I remember watching it and wondering, is this a spoof? 

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Fake one shot gimmick film, bang average.

Honestly I never really became interested in the characters either which didn't help build suspense. The actors were a bit too public school classically trained poshos for me, no offense. There was like no grit to them 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it, and saw it twice at the cinema, but I did think it might lose it's appeal on the smaller screen, I've not see it since. It is visually impressive, but perhaps not enough beyond that I guess. 

19 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Good film! 

Yeah, way underrated, and filmed in Wellington, which gives me the feels, cos I spent some time there a while back.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 16:39, TheMelvillan said:

I'd been waiting for this for ages but was a wee bit underwhelmed by it in the end. I think I just find Boldsworths attitude and delivery as a little too smug and condescending to be enjoyable now.

Still, impressed with what they produced as independent film makers and such an unlikely concept - I genuinely though the y were joking when they talking in the podcast about turning it into a movie so fair play.

On an unrelated note, I watched Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle at the weekend with my kid and it was brilliant. Couple more penis jokes than I would have expected for a family film however !

Sequel is good also. Kevin Hart pretending to be Danny Glover is brilliant.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2021 at 18:50, Chindie said:

A nice excuse to discuss an under appreciated directors work.

Some controversial standings there...

On 08/10/2021 at 19:53, Designer1 said:

Cheers. One of my favourite directors whose purple patch of earlier work was absolutely phenomenal.

I'll give this a watch over the weekend and probably disagree with most of it 😄

Final part and getting into the real heavy hitters (mostly ;)).

• Like 1

Been to the cinema twice since The Reopening (TM). 

First the new Bond film. Boring. Just boring. But then I’m no Bond fan in the first place. Very much one for the «Things You Don’t Get» thread. 

Then tonight, we went to see The Worst Person In the World, a Norwegian film by director Joachim Trier that received a lot of praise in Cannes, including the prize for best actress. It was absolutely brilliant. Reminiscent of Woody Allen in places, some obvious similarities with the Before… trilogy, but in my opinion even better. Just a really good combo of brilliant writing, fantastic acting, stunningly good photography, a flawless soundtrack, and without ever having to try very hard it just captivates your whole range of emotions from the very first frame. Also, it does a good job of capturing the beauty of Oslo, where the film is set, which I’m obviously a sucker for. 

• Like 1

Â