The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If it lives up to the hype then for me it confirms Villeneuve as the best director in the world currently.

Sounds like he definitley makes the best looking films 

Edit - I had a look at the cinematographer, guy called grieg fraser, decent CV too rogue one, zero dark thirty, foxcatcher, lion and he's doing the batman 

Edited by villa4europe

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sounds like he definitley makes the best looking films 

Edit - I had a look at the cinematographer, guy called grieg fraser, decent CV too rogue one, zero dark thirty, foxcatcher, lion and he's doing the batman 

He does, but it's not just visually for me.

Sicari, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and Dune as his last four movies is a hell of a run. If Dune lives up to the hype then they're all excellent films

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He does, but it's not just visually for me.

Sicari, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 and Dune as his last four movies is a hell of a run. If Dune lives up to the hype then they're all excellent films

not seen enemy which is meant to be ok but thought prisoners before it was great too

On 01/09/2021 at 10:15, Wainy316 said:

26 years late but finally watched Heat.

8/10.  Would bang.

Hadn't seen this post! Was the first time I'd seen it in like 10 years (on Amazon Prime if people have that)

Not sure what the best action movie of the last 30 years is for me. My gut says T2 which is nearly 30 but has insane effects that hold up today, great action and has you all the way through. Heat is up there, Dark Knight, Fury Road.... as mentioned the Rock and Starship Troopers are both great fun....

39 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Not sure what the best action movie of the last 30 years is for me. My gut says T2 which is nearly 30 but has insane effects that hold up today, great action and has you all the way through. Heat is up there, Dark Knight, Fury Road.... as mentioned the Rock and Starship Troopers are both great fun....

in terms of its late night , I'm channel hopping ,I've missed the beginning  , I've seen it 50 times , have to get up for work early in the morning  , but I'm going to watch it anyway 

then  Starship Troopers edges it over T2 for me as you get to see Dina Meyers boobies in Starship  .. and lets be honest T2 is almost ruined by that Thumbs up at the end  so losses additional points 

Edited by tonyh29

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

in terms of its late night , I'm channel hopping ,I've miseed missed the beginning  , I've seen it 50 times , have to get up for work early in the morning  , but I'm going to watch it anyway 

then  Starship Troopers edges it over T2 for me as you get to see Dina Meyers boobies in Starship  .. and lets be honest T2 is almost ruined by that Thumbs up at the end  so losses additional points 

Oh 100% I'll absolutely watch Starship Troopers any time I see it on. It's absolutely glorious and I can't understand how people didn't think it was a blatant satire. The absolute funniest thing for me is how Denise Richards character somehow barely gets injured despite being in a spaceship crash and recovering quicker than Wolverine when being stabbed through the chest by one of the bugs. Also Dean Norris is in Starship Troopers which is always a win for me

Watched Apen (The Ape) last night. A Swedish film about a bloke who wakes up in his bathroom after an event. The more you see him go about his day the more shocked you are about what happened.

Made me feel very uncomfortable but it was a great film.

On Netters.

• Thanks 1

The Marco Effect ( Marco Effekten) 2021

New Department Q movie, minus the original cast, Lie Kaas and Fares always excellent (damnit), managed to find a mint copy but only with Swedish and Danish subs, usually find something on subscene but this is quite new, and help would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The Marco Effect ( Marco Effekten) 2021

New Department Q movie, minus the original cast, Lie Kaas and Fares always excellent (damnit), managed to find a mint copy but only with Swedish and Danish subs, usually find something on subscene but this is quite new, and help would be appreciated.

Oh wow I love the book series but didn't even know they made movies based off of them.

3 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Oh wow I love the book series but didn't even know they made movies based off of them.

Haven't read the books but I really like the films, not sure how many, 5 films so far I think, started off by The Keeper of Lost Causes, great film.

Edit. Just checked

Keeper of lost causes

The absent one

A conspiracy of faith

Journal 64

The marco effect

( new cast, not seen yet, reviews not up to the others standard but will check it out when subs obtained).

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

On 01/09/2021 at 10:15, Wainy316 said:

26 years late but finally watched Heat.

8/10.  Would bang.

Cracking film. The cafe scene is fantastic. 

So sad to hear about the passing of Michael K Williams, and such a shock. A few rumours that it was an overdose but no cause of death has been confirmed. 

He was such a great talent. Omar will go down as one of the great screen characters, and the fact they made him openly gay without it being central to his story, for me, that was groundbreaking at that time. He was also excellent in the " Night Of " and the story of The Central Park Five. He will be a big miss, that's for sure. RIP.

• Like 1

Finally got around to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night as it was on free to air TV.

As someone a bit young to have much grounding in the Manson Family murders it was nice to not feel like I didn't have a good grip on what was going on and the scene at the ranch really sold the creepy murder hippies vibe very well. Leo and Brad Pitt were pretty exceptional as you'd probably expect at this point in their careers and it had a satisfyingly bonkers Tarantino ending with the usual crisp dialogue all the way through....even if as always there was as always way too much of Tarantino's foot fetish bleeding through in a lot of scenes (I have a weird thing about extremities like hands and feet and seeing dirty bare feet smooshed up against a windscreen for a solid 5 minute scene was enough to knock a point off in of itself 🤢)  8/10

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

Finally got around to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night as it was on free to air TV.

As someone a bit young to have much grounding in the Manson Family murders it was nice to not feel like I didn't have a good grip on what was going on and the scene at the ranch really sold the creepy murder hippies vibe very well. Leo and Brad Pitt were pretty exceptional as you'd probably expect at this point in their careers and it had a satisfyingly bonkers Tarantino ending with the usual crisp dialogue all the way through....even if as always there was as always way too much of Tarantino's foot fetish bleeding through in a lot of scenes (I have a weird thing about extremities like hands and feet and seeing dirty bare feet smooshed up against a windscreen for a solid 5 minute scene was enough to knock a point off in of itself 🤢)  8/10

Agree on the bromance and the scene at the ranch; those were two of the best aspects to it. I didn't love the wish fulfilment ending, but he's done worse. Think 8/10 is about where I was at overall, I definitely liked it more than most of his films, especially in recent years.

46 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I am definitely a fan of Tarantino's films but with me having a foot phobia his catalogue will always be tainted for me.

This. It's getting out of hand.

Having Dakota Fanning use her foot to point at something in OUATIH for literally no reason other than to have a close up on her foot is **** ridiculous

Â