The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Once upon a time, there was a member On Here by that name, who admitted to certain sexual feelings about his aunt. He got a bit of stick for it, and left the forum soon after, as I recall.

I think you're understating things there slightly, @HanoiVillan. If memory serves, the feeling he had was that he liked banging his aunt and had been doing it for years with no sense of remorse or regret. 

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Once upon a time, there was a member On Here by that name, who admitted to certain sexual feelings about his aunt. He got a bit of stick for it, and left the forum soon after, as I recall.

I vaguely seem to remember that  - I was more of a lurker back then I think.

First Matrix was awesome, second terrible and never watched third. Fourth looks very much like they are trying to remake the first. Will probably watch… 

However, in the interim, could anyone give a quick synopsis of the third? As I’m guessing it’s a follow on?

40 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Can't really sleep so up watching The Great Escape.

Now I remember why I like this movie so much, just fantastic.

Absolutely brilliant film and probably my all time favourite. From the opening theme tune onwards, I can go through every emotion watching it.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

Just watched 21 Bridges (Prime) - God Chadwick Boseman is good. Cinema lost a good one early.

The way he handled the whole cancer thing was just unbelievable. Not an ounce of self - pity.  And to think he gave so many wonderful performances whilst suffering with that dreadful disease, he really was something else. 

• Like 3

See the source image

I went to see Candyman last week, I felt like it was a film that wasn't really needed but in the times of the soft reboot its not all that surprising, especially when you consider how relevant the politics are all these years after the original.

Initially I came out of the cinema and though "well that was a bit shit" but once I had the chance to process it I think that I would probably enjoy it a lot more on a second viewing.

The opening soundtrack was amazing and really got my hopes up at the beginning of the film, the acting was pretty solid, the politics were in your face but not rammed down your throat, the kills were suitably gory and they were respectful of the original.

Where the film fell down was with Candyman himself, they were in an unwinnable position because Tony Todd was so iconic in the role that replacing him would have had fans of the original spitting feathers unless he pulled out a Heath Ledger/Dark Knight performance, instead of directly replacing him they focused more on the lore and while Candyman is seen throughout the film, he doesn't have a presence he doesn't have a personality, it seems like he is just a vehicle to make the film happen rather than being the actual reason that the film happens.

They expand on the Lore and history of Candyman, I don't think it was necessary to dedicate quite so much of the film to this, you have a real slow burner for the first 70 minutes and then it was as if they thought "oh Christ, we need to get this finished" and bang the ending completely shifts the tone, goes batshit crazy and felt a little bit rushed in all fairness.

I'd give it a 5.5 or 6 out of 10 but I would probably revise that on a second viewing. 

See the source image

Off to see this in a few hours, I don't know anything about it other than there are some murders and a bird had an imaginary friend as a kid (who I assume she believes is killing these people) 

Its a return to the horror genre for James Wan given his track record I'm looking forward to this one, I am hoping he changes it up a little bit though, we don't need another Insidious/Conjuring film.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

See the source image

Off to see this in a few hours, I don't know anything about it other than there are some murders and a bird had an imaginary friend as a kid (who I assume she believes is killing these people) 

Its a return to the horror genre for James Wan given his track record I'm looking forward to this one, I am hoping he changes it up a little bit though, we don't need another Insidious/Conjuring film.

Have you watched the Dark and the Wicked yet?

3 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

See the source image

It's brilliant.

8 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

See the source image

That was a complete tonal shift from Wans previous horror work, I agree with @Designer1 it was great fun, I don't think it'll have anywhere near the same sort of fan base that The Conjuring has but there is every chance it will gain a good strong cult following. 

The intro felt like something straight out of Stranger Things and then moves into the classic haunted house/possession style horror (complete with the weird jerky moving shadow monster) that we all know and love and then it completely shifts again into a bad slasher from the late 90's (and I mean that in the best possible way) 

Some of the shots were brilliant, I really got some Amityville/The Entity vibes at times, there was a great shot when she was walking from room to room and the camera was following from above, I thought that looked great.

The acting was pretty hammy at times and so was the script but it kind of felt intentional, again going back to the Mimic/Cherry Falls type era.

The story wasn't anything special and didn't provide any shocks and you'll probably have an idea of where the final act is going but the delivery was brilliant.

Spoiler

It was basically Edward Mordrake on crack

• Like 1

On 10/09/2021 at 23:51, mikeyp102 said:

First Matrix was awesome, second terrible and never watched third. Fourth looks very much like they are trying to remake the first. Will probably watch… 

However, in the interim, could anyone give a quick synopsis of the third? As I’m guessing it’s a follow on?

Imagine a vegan cyclist made a film in French 

that’s the Matrix 3 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

That was a complete tonal shift from Wans previous horror work, I agree with @Designer1 it was great fun, I don't think it'll have anywhere near the same sort of fan base that The Conjuring has but there is every chance it will gain a good strong cult following. 

The intro felt like something straight out of Stranger Things and then moves into the classic haunted house/possession style horror (complete with the weird jerky moving shadow monster) that we all know and love and then it completely shifts again into a bad slasher from the late 90's (and I mean that in the best possible way) 

Some of the shots were brilliant, I really got some Amityville/The Entity vibes at times, there was a great shot when she was walking from room to room and the camera was following from above, I thought that looked great.

The acting was pretty hammy at times and so was the script but it kind of felt intentional, again going back to the Mimic/Cherry Falls type era.

The story wasn't anything special and didn't provide any shocks and you'll probably have an idea of where the final act is going but the delivery was brilliant.

Reveal hidden contents

It was basically Edward Mordrake on crack

Glad you enjoyed it mate (had a feeling you would)

Loved the Giallo feel to it.

Â