The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

21 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Just back from a screening of Terminator 2.  **** yeah!

I remember watching it on the big screen when it first came out and it was superb and the effects were phenomenal for the time. 

I love both original Terminator thriller and the more action orientated sequel despite being totally different types of film. 

It's a bit like Alien and Aliens and let's not forget, both franchises then descended into pumping out utter bobbins thereafter, sullying the good names of the original four movies. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

I remember watching it on the big screen when it first came out and it was superb and the effects were phenomenal for the time. 

I love both original Terminator thriller and the more action orientated sequel despite being totally different types of film. 

It's a bit like Alien and Aliens and let's not forget, both franchises then descended into pumping out utter bobbins thereafter, sullying the good names of the original four movies. 

Would love to see this at the cinema again. As you say back in the day I did the same and this was massive, up there with the giants like star wars Indy etc HUGE.

Its been fun watching older stuff on modern big screen tv with a sound bar but you just have to see these big loud films at a cinema.

• Like 2

Was great to tick it off the big-screen experience checklist, for sure.  I've seen Alien and Aliens (multiple times and back-to-back on one occasion) at various anniversary showings, always great.  Always game to see classic flicks at the cinema, wish places did them more often.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Possibly controversial opinion - the Rock is one of the best action movies of the last 30 years and it's existence forever means Michael Bay's career isn't completely meritless.

It's an absolutely fantastic pure action film.

The discussion of the candidates would make good thread and a fair shout re the Rock. Predator would be up there as well as Con Air, so many

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The discussion of the candidates would make good thread and a fair shout re the Rock. Predator would be up there as well as Con Air, so many

Heat gotta be up there? Been ages since I watched thou.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Possibly controversial opinion - the Rock is one of the best action movies of the last 30 years and it's existence forever means Michael Bay's career isn't completely meritless.

It's an absolutely fantastic pure action film.

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Here's a great documentary you chaps might enjoy from Oliver Harper, one of my favourite movie buff YouTubers. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8840400/

": In Search of the Last Action Heroes doesn’t just celebrate the awesome arsenal of action movies that made the 1980’s and 1990’s so great, it examines the evolution of the action movie genre pre-golden era to present day".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I knew Basingstoke was behind the times... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Love Predator, The Rock et al (though Con Air I'd say is maybe the weakest of that pantheon whilst still being good fun) but Heat is next level by some distance compared to the rest. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Love Predator, The Rock et al (though Con Air I'd say is maybe the weakest of that pantheon whilst still being good fun) but Heat is next level by some distance compared to the rest. 

Agreed it is different gravy made by two of arguably the greatest actors of the generation.

Face off is another underrated film which I think was absolutely stunning

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sne said:

Okay, I’m halfway through this for the first time in about 15 years and the first thing I noticed is how slow it starts. I would question that it is not an action film per se but more of a crime drama with action parts. The building of the characters and their relationships is key to the film, unlike say Dutch in predator and a few in jokes about previous missions or the CIA getting Dillon to pencil push. Or even crime is a disease meet the cure. It is a great, superb film but not mindless enough to properly qualify as an action classic IMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Okay, I’m halfway through this for the first time in about 15 years and the first thing I noticed is how slow it starts. I would question that it is not an action film per se but more of a crime drama with action parts. The building of the characters and their relationships is key to the film, unlike say Dutch in predator and a few in jokes about previous missions or the CIA getting Dillon to pencil push. Or even crime is a disease meet the cure. It is a great, superb film but not mindless enough to properly qualify as an action classic IMO

Yeah, fair, Then again Predator falls outside the 30 year time limit from the OP as it was made in 87, as does Die Hard 88. T2 just barely sneaks in being released in 91.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, fair, Then again Predator falls outside the 30 year time limit from the OP as it was made in 87, as does Die Hard 88. T2 just barely sneaks in being released in 91.

No disrespect to @Chindiebut I think we should say 45 year time limit to include the early works of Chuck Norris. This will give a fair reflection of the entire action genre as such. For example invasion USA is a great movie, Rambo first blood is a classic as well

2 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Heat is a different kettle of fish to 80/90s action flicks. Heat is a serious film with top level actors, script and Mann's best film comfortably. The others a popcorn summer blockbusters albeit some damn fine films too.

• Like 2

Â