The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On re watching i didn't think the 2nd one was too bad, the 3rd just disappeared up its own arse with all the mythology and lore that nobody really cared about.

If this is stripped back like the first one it could be good. I cant help but feel NPH is a great bit of casting as well  but no idea how much he is in the film.

I'm certainly looking forward to it but very much prepared to be disappointed. 

22 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

Never really understood all the hate that the Matrix sequels get but I suppose the 1st one was that good it was always going to be difficult to improve. The 1st one my well be my favourite film of all time the 2nd one I think is great too and the 3rd is okay could be better. Not seen the trailer for the new one yet as I'm at work but I'm looking forward to it regardless

they have loads of problems - they dont feel essential or need to be made, they spend too much time outside of the matrix, the love story is shit, they disappear up their own ass, there's too many scenes and characters that dont actually add anything like the whole 15 mins with the french guy and his wife, personally i think the action scenes arent as good in terms of choreography as it somehow became less grounded and it couldnt live up to the hype, the first film was brilliant, the animatrix was good, the computer game was good...and then the 2 films weren't, its been a while since ive seen them too but id be surprised if some of the CGI held up

19 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

My only point of contention there is the notion that any screen-time given to Monica Bellucci is a waste.  Such a thing, it is not possible.

The problem with MB in the matrix is her scenes are garbage, mainly because of Carrie Ann Moss both script and direction to be as wooden as possible 

The whole I want you to kiss me stuff is shite 

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Excellent psychological horror drama from Austria.

Recommend going in completely blind to get the most out of it.

I can vouch for this too, saw back when released and remember thinking it was underrated, can't remember why I'm thinking this but the director made good use of some venetian blinds unless I have it mixed up with another film.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Surprised that with vikings being flavour of the month they haven't gone back to the beowulf well 

At least 13th warrior was a bit different, I'm sure the last adaptation was ray Winstone and his monshta 

You’ve kindly reminded me of one of my favourite films of this type. The Vikings (1958) starring Kirk Douglas an Tony Curtis, is a truly swashbuckling bit of Hollywood. Dazzling visuals for it’s time and would highly recommend for anyone that’s never seen it.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

You’ve kindly reminded me of one of my favourite films of this type. The Vikings (1958) starring Kirk Douglas an Tony Curtis, is a truly swashbuckling bit of Hollywood. Dazzling visuals for it’s time and would highly recommend for anyone that’s never seen it.

Everytime I think of that film I start humming the tune and also think of the joke they make about shaving their faces with shells early on. A lot of people do not realise the actual Vikings series is based on the same character In the film. Incredible film which I will be revisiting this weekend thank you👏👍

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Everytime I think of that film I start humming the tune and also think of the joke they make about shaving their faces with shells early on. A lot of people do not realise the actual Vikings series is based on the same character In the film. Incredible film which I will be revisiting this weekend thank you👏👍

Yes that music, loved this film. There were a few in my household growing up that were watched just about every time they came on TV, no vhs or dvd back then.

The vikings 

The magnificent seven

The great escape

Robin Hood

Ben hur

Jason and the argonauts 

There's a few more, memories fading. Would happily watch them all again. 

• Like 4

This is more a reflection on me than the film but everyone used to go on about the matrix, usually them people in long leather coats that like Marilyn Manson. That said in Virgin the three film boxset came up in a sale so in for a penny, in for a fiver. I watched the first one and it was the biggest load of pseud bollocks I have ever seen. It was awful. Flashy, well made but just utter bollocks. So I went back to my Charlies Angels and Spy Kids DVDs happy in the knowledge that the other 2 would remain unwatched. 

13 hours ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Excellent psychological horror drama from Austria.

Recommend going in completely blind to get the most out of it.

I did that and ended up watching the wrong film 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â