The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Saw The Suicide Squad last night.

Wouldn't usually be my thing but the reviews were good so gave it a go.

It was really very good. Thoroughly enjoyed it. And it was very funny in parts as well. Idris was fantastic in it too.

The story is utterly ridiculous. I think if I told someone the plot they'd think I was making it up it's so stupid. But it worked

Quick, everyone check the skies for pigs and get thermometers to hell stat!

• Like 2

Is The Suicide Squad a sequel? Or is it a remake of Suicide Squad? Are they pretending the first one doesn't exist? Does the frugality of this information mean that only obsessive nerds are supposed to go and watch these films?

Just now, darrenm said:

Is The Suicide Squad a sequel? Or is it a remake of Suicide Squad? Are they pretending the first one doesn't exist? Does the frugality of this information mean that only obsessive nerds are supposed to go and watch these films?

It's a sequel and a reboot simultaneously. It features some of the same characters as the first one and doesn't actively contradict the first film but also has basically nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

what chindie said

the main thing is it knows how daft it is but it changes its director and therefore style, it still has some things that it didnt need but the first one at times felt like they'd watched guardians of the galaxy and wanted a piece of the pie, the soundtrack in particular, this one has a lot more thought put in to it and does stand out from the crowd a little more

DC films to me in general just feel rushed and poorly executed, this doesn't, it has misteps* but gets away with them

* i'll throw it out there - harley quinn is not a good character and her segment in the middle didnt really work other than add a piece of story that they could have worked around in writing  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I can no longer watch much with Idris Elba in it due to the bloody awful Sky adverts he appears in - the 12 films of Christmas song still haunts me. 

I don't think he's that great an actor tbh (The Wire aside). He seems very one note.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I don't think he's that great an actor tbh (The Wire aside). He seems very one note.

I think of him as a classier Jason Statham in many ways. He's very good in a very particular type of role, but he's not got any range. As an actor he's mostly a guy who trades on the fact he's supernaturally charismatic.

• Like 2

Just now, Chindie said:

I think of him as a classier Jason Statham in many ways. He's very good in a very particular type of role, but he's not got any range. As an actor he's mostly a guy who trades on the fact he's supernaturally charismatic.

Yeah I'd go with that (although I do love the Stathe) he's definitely got presence and charisma but it's hard to imagine him pushing himself in a more dramatic role.

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I can no longer watch much with Idris Elba in it due to the bloody awful Sky adverts he appears in - the 12 films of Christmas song still haunts me. 

I have the same with Kevin Bacon thanks to those **** EE adverts!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Mandela and beasts of no nation suggests that he can do it but his CV suggests that he might not be that interested in it, he seems to like a 2nd tier blockbuster and no doubt the easy pay day that comes with it

But I like him, very watchable mainly due to his natural charm and charisma 

Also give concrete cowboys a watch, he's not exactly stretching his chops but it's a nice watchable film 

On 20/08/2021 at 12:00, darrenm said:

I haven't seen the first one and have/had absolutely no desire to, or any desire to find out the story or anything. Basically i went in as cold as you could possibly be.

And I couldn't see anything that I didn't understand because of it. Maybe there's some clever nods or easter eggs in there but in terms of the plot and characters there was nothing that passed me by

• Like 1

On 20/08/2021 at 14:07, theboyangel said:

What Chindie said. I don't think he'll be popping up in the next Coen Brothers film or winning best actor any time soon.

But he's good at what he does. In this it's perfect for him and he does well.

Obviously he peaked at The Wire though

• Like 1

Managed 51 minutes of Reminiscence before I had enough.

It's a sci-fi/noir thing starring Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Ferguson, Thandie Newton and it's made by Westworld producer Lisa Joy and I think I might actually hate it. 

Nothing in the movie works, the world building doesn't make sense and the city it takes place in makes even less sense. Everything looks shiny and new but it's supposed to be after a big war and in a world that has been flooded. 

It's obviously supposed to be stylist, look and acted in a Noir/sci-fi but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe the second half of the movie gets better but I will never know.

I quite enjoyed Reminiscence myself I know it is getting a lot of hate but I thought it was entertaining although it wasn't great. 6.5/10

Also watched G.I Joe Snake eyes origins or what ever that piece of shit is called - Generous 5/10

Â