The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 06/09/2021 at 17:26, tonyh29 said:

Starship Troopers edges it over T2 for me as you get to see Dina Meyers boobies in Starship  .. and lets be honest T2 is almost ruined by that Thumbs up at the end  so losses additional points 

On 06/09/2021 at 17:35, theunderstudy said:

Also Dean Norris is in Starship Troopers which is always a win for me

Ah, Dean Norris also in T2 though. /wellakshualalalay.

I had no idea Dean Norris was in T2.

Theres defo a conversation to be had about "oh shit that actor was in that?!/that character?!" 

Took me about 5 years to recognise that it was Bill Paxton in the first Terminator. Oscar Isaac in Drive is another one 

Forever Purge

Not half as bad as expected. The Purger's extend the one night Purge indefinitely until all America is 'disinfected' as they call it (kill all non whites/Americans) Quite tense in parts if not a little obvious plot wise but delivers what you would expect with a fresh white supremacist twist. A solid 7/10  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Theres defo a conversation to be had about "oh shit that actor was in that?!/that character?!" 

Had two such moments recently with Giancarlo Esposito funnily enough, in Do The Right Thing and Usual Suspects.

Back on-topic, watched Psycho Goreman a couple of days ago.  Came out feeling like I'd watched this generation's Evil Dead.  Some of the costumes had me howling.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Had two such moments recently with Giancarlo Esposito funnily enough, in Do The Right Thing and Usual Suspects.

Back on-topic, watched Psycho Goreman a couple of days ago.  Came out feeling like I'd watched this generation's Evil Dead.  Some of the costumes had me howling.

The Esposito one that I like is his 'blink and you miss it' appearance in Trading Places.

• Like 1

Shot Caller which seems to have been recently added to Netflix really is quite good.

Its a prison drama and while maybe not the most accurate portrayal of American prison its very hard hitting and stayed with me for a couple of days afterwards.

Definitely recommend watching.

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

I'm equal amounts excited and convinced it's going to suck balls.

The cynic in me says theyve looked at John Wick seen keanus stock as high as its been for 20 years and thought let's jump back in 

The other 2 were dogshit nonsense this won't be better 

The fight and action choreography should just about see it through though 

• Like 2

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at.  I mean, I found the fun in John Wick 3, I can find the fun in this for sure.

God, it does make me laugh thinking back to a time when I desperately wanted one of those phones Neo gets in the first film that slides open all cool like.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at.  I mean, I found the fun in John Wick 3, I can find the fun in this for sure.

God, it does make me laugh thinking back to a time when I desperately wanted one of those phones Neo gets in the first film that slides open all cool like.

That was my first mobile iirc. 1999 I think.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theunderstudy said:

I was watching Rush Hour 2 the other day and noticed Scully from Brooklyn 99 undercover at the craps table.

YARN | ...let's just play craps, man. Come on, let's go. Come on, come on.  | Rush Hour 2 (2001) Comedy | Video clips by quotes | 699ba95e | 紗

Not sure what to make of it to be honest. The teaser trailer looked astonishingly similar to the first film to be honest.

I get the impression from this new trailer that they've been reinserted into the Matrix, essentially taken the blue pill and this will be about them being pulled back out.

My instinct is it's going to be shit. But I'll watch the **** out of it

Interesting, that wee flash of matrix code over Trinity you see in the trailer.  I mean, she was stone-cold dead; no argument, no ambiguity, no black-magic-feckery at the end of #3.  Money's on the "Trinity" we see being another program designed to sedate/placate a newly re-inserted Neo, whom I could maybe buy not being all-dead at the end of #3, with the teensiest big of wiggle-room that his on-the-nose-Christ-analogous-posed body was only mostly dead when the machines carted it off, and as we all know; mostly dead is still slightly alive.

Never really understood all the hate that the Matrix sequels get but I suppose the 1st one was that good it was always going to be difficult to improve. The 1st one my well be my favourite film of all time the 2nd one I think is great too and the 3rd is okay could be better. Not seen the trailer for the new one yet as I'm at work but I'm looking forward to it regardless

Â