The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Marvel and DC could team up whilst signing John Wick in the January window and Dredd would still carve through them like butter.   

Pound for pound it's one of the best comic book adaptions ever made . I could genuinely watch it on repeat all day.

I knew you'd say that. 

53 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I knew you'd say that. 

That's from the worst comic book  adaption sadly . Outside of "I am the law" Dredd doesn't really do catchphrases .As a 2000AD fanatic that film broke my heart .

Even Broken Lizard's Club Dread is better than Judge Dredd.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

That's from the worst comic book  adaption sadly . Outside of "I am the law" Dredd doesn't really do catchphrases .As a 2000AD fanatic that film broke my heart .

I'm looking forward to seeing what Duncan Jones can do with Rogue Trooper. 

So much potential.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Duncan Jones can do with Rogue Trooper. 

So much potential.

Big time. As does Strontium Dog  but they have to be done right (As many 2000AD guys on board as possible and keep the suits out of it) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Just watched The Suicide Squad, never seen the "original" so can't compare it against that.

I thought it was just a bit crap, no laughs, and the characters were dull. The trailer looked good and I was looking forward to seeing it. Feel cheated now.

It was just as bad as the first one. 

Not sure why DC get it wrong so often. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Yeah, I know and agree, just couldn't resist and curious if anyone would pick up on it. 

Also... 

Spoiler

21t97h.jpg

Edited by Rds1983
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rds1983 said:

curious if anyone would pick up on it. 

Likewise with Club Dread which is basically Super Troopers does Scream on an island.

That movie was more faithful to 2000AD than Stallone's atrocity. 

Quite enjoyed Crawl on Netflix - a low budget creature feature where alligators plague a small town subject of a hurricane. 

Similar in feel to The Shallows, which was also ok. 

Don’t expect anything new but it’s easy ‘horror’ fodder!

• Like 1

Aquaman, as chindie says, is really silly but for me it’s by far DC’s best film. It’s daft, it’s silly and its great fun. 

Re: Dredd. I was hoping we would see something of the Mega City One show by now but I’m guessing it’ll never happen now which is a shame. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

Wonder if we can start dreaming of a long awaited sequel to Gigli now that Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez are dating again?

He's overdue directing a film, gone baby gone, the town and argo were all excellent, live by night was a bit shit

I'm sure Boston has some more gritty stories to tell 

On 09/08/2021 at 22:14, Chindie said:

Man of Steel - good.

BvS - the ultimate cut is deeply flawed but watchable

Suicide Squad - crap

Wonder Woman - good

Justice League - a bit crap

Aquaman - ludicrously silly, but it's Aquaman, of course it is. Decent.

Shazam - very silly, but fun.

Birds of Prey - ok

Wonder Woman 1984 - apparently a bit of a mess (I've not seen it)

Snyder Cut - decent

The Suicide Squad - seems a bit marmite

The issue isn't really that they've made bad movies on the whole, it's mostly that they've not made anything particularly brilliant. There's not much that they've done that's legitimately awful - the original Suicide Squad is the worst they've done, the other weak entries like BvS and the original JL suffer mostly for being messy, but they aren't awful. And the good stuff is solid

Thats being pretty generous IMO.

Man of Steel was poor.

BvS - terrible

Synder Cut - while improving the original version, brought it up from rubbish to pretty poor.

Wonder Woman 1984 - poor.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Thats being pretty generous IMO.

Man of Steel was poor.

BvS - terrible

Synder Cut - while improving the original version, brought it up from rubbish to pretty poor.

Wonder Woman 1984 - poor.

I disagree.

I'm not saying the film's are great - even the good ones are flawed. But the reaction to them head been completely overblown.

Man of Steel is a totally solid film. It's biggest issues boil down to it being very self serious, having a take on Superman some people dislike, and the end is famously OTT. Beyond that it's got very good performance, great action, some great imagery and a lot of very effective emotion.

BvS was made out as one of the worst movies ever. And it's simply not. It's not good, certainly not in the theatrical cut, but the whinging about it is absurd. It's riddled with problems, mostly from the script - it's paced badly, it tries to do the Dark Knight Returns, the Death of Superman, set up for the Justice League, a Batman origin and a semi sequel to Man of Steel in a single film, it's take on Luthor as Zuckerberg is marmite, it's revelation is silly comic book trivia dressed as weighty, and it has all of Snyder's tropes turned up to 11. But it's well shot, the cast is mostly good, it's filled with good imagery and had some great action. That's not enough to overcome it's problems, but the problems don't sink it completely.

Snyder Cut is fine. It dials back the dourness of BvS, retains most of the good things Snyder's stuff has brought, ditches the rubbish Whedon crammed in, builds out the entire film. It's still flawed - the script is messy and it has bizarre tonal issues, and it's too long and self indulgent, and the basic plot is nothing earth shattering. But it's fine. It's decent superhero action fare with some great imagery.

I'm not being generous there, I just really don't see what's so horrific about these films. None of them are great, all have varying degrees of flaws and Snyder's style isn't for everyone. But they aren't awful. Even the worst of these films, BvS, which isn't a good movie by any means, is still watchable for it's own sake. It's not the Room or Plan 9 or Zaat! It just has a bad script and it's tone and style are overblown.

• Like 2

BvS is the same as JL, its so bad a film that I have problems with the music and the cinematography, the art style, the whole look and feel of the film before I even get in to the story script and action all of which then have further problems 

Spoiler

The Martha thing is so bad the film cannot survive it

Wonder Woman 1984 has loads of problems such as new powers just when she needs them

Spoiler

The running scene when she chases after a car in Egypt or where ever is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen, I'm not sure if they did it intentionally to take the piss out of the 80s but it's so shit whatever it is doesn't work 

• Like 3

Â