The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The Dry, starring Eric Bana, was a good watch the other night.

My Mrs only usually likes "fast" films i.e. lots of explosions and shootings, but this was a fast-paced storyline and was captivating from start to finish.

8/10.

Been meaning to watch that.

Don't know if your much of a reader but that is adapted from the novel by Jane Harper, which I thought was exceptional She wrote a sequel to it with the same main character called 'Force of Nature' which is quite good also.

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Has there been a good DC film since The Dark Knight Rises?

Possibly the first Wonder Woman film would be good but not great (let down by a poor villain). 

Shazam had some good moments but was all over the place. High hopes for Black Adam as the Rock is usually decent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Possibly the first Wonder Woman film would be good but not great (let down by a poor villain). 

Shazam had some good moments but was all over the place. High hopes for Black Adam as the Rock is usually decent. 

Yeah WW was OK but based on the 2nd one they are utterly clueless as to why it was OK, the 2nd one is one of the worst films I've seen in a while 

Suicide squad is OK, better than the first film, its a solid 7/10 watchable movie 

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah WW was OK but based on the 2nd one they are utterly clueless as to why it was OK, the 2nd one is one of the worst films I've seen in a while 

Suicide squad is OK, better than the first film, its a solid 7/10 watchable movie 

I've not actually seen the 2nd WW yet. Heard such bad reviews and then that awful 'Imagine tribute' that Gadot was involved in put me off so much that I couldn't be bothered to watch the film. 

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Has there been a good DC film since The Dark Knight Rises?

Arguably.

The stuff they've released since Dark Knight Rises

Man of Steel - good.

BvS - the ultimate cut is deeply flawed but watchable

Suicide Squad - crap

Wonder Woman - good

Justice League - a bit crap

Aquaman - ludicrously silly, but it's Aquaman, of course it is. Decent.

Shazam - very silly, but fun.

Birds of Prey - ok

Wonder Woman 1984 - apparently a bit of a mess (I've not seen it)

Snyder Cut - decent

The Suicide Squad - seems a bit marmite

The issue isn't really that they've made bad movies on the whole, it's mostly that they've not made anything particularly brilliant. There's not much that they've done that's legitimately awful - the original Suicide Squad is the worst they've done, the other weak entries like BvS and the original JL suffer mostly for being messy, but they aren't awful. And the good stuff is solid

I've not seen the "ultimate cut", but the only 3 of those films I've seen are Suicide Squad, BvS (theatre release) , and Aquaman, and I thought they were all **** dreadful, I've certainly not helped myself with the film choices though.

Edited by Davkaus

2 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Been meaning to watch that.

Don't know if your much of a reader but that is adapted from the novel by Jane Harper, which I thought was exceptional She wrote a sequel to it with the same main character called 'Force of Nature' which is quite good also.

I'm not much of a reader, unfortunately. If there's a sequel to the film, though, I'll be straight onto it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've not seen the "ultimate cut", but the only 3 of those films I've seen are Suicide Squad, BvS (theatre release) , and Aquaman, and I thought they were all **** dreadful, I've certainly not helped myself with the film choices though.

Suicide Squad is bad, I agree there. It's somehow got worse over time.

BvS theatrical is a mess but I wouldn't say it's dreadful. The ultimate cut is better, but mostly that comes from filling out some scenes that the editing of the theatrical release made worse. The issue that film has is mostly it tries to do about 4 storylines that could carry their own film each in a single film, and as a result fluffs it all. There's still good stuff in it though.

Aquaman I'm not sure what's particularly bad about it. It's immensely silly, but it's always going to be - it's a film about a guy who talks to fish. And the script thinks it's clever because it's about a guy named Arthur who is destined to take up an ancient throne... But if you can accept that this is a film where yes, there's going to be riding if giant seahorses, the rest of it is pretty decent superhero fare. It's pretty well made, the actions decent, performances are good, they manage to make Black Manta work as a badass on screen, the CGI is good. I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Has anyone used the likes of Music Magpie to sell DVDs?

Yeah when I moved, there’s more than 1 site that does it and the values vary, I ended up using 3 and having to scan and keep a spreadsheet of the collection and figure out which went where to earn me the most, think I ended up with MM, Momox and zaffit

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Suicide Squad is bad, I agree there. It's somehow got worse over time.

BvS theatrical is a mess but I wouldn't say it's dreadful. The ultimate cut is better, but mostly that comes from filling out some scenes that the editing of the theatrical release made worse. The issue that film has is mostly it tries to do about 4 storylines that could carry their own film each in a single film, and as a result fluffs it all. There's still good stuff in it though.

Aquaman I'm not sure what's particularly bad about it. It's immensely silly, but it's always going to be - it's a film about a guy who talks to fish. And the script thinks it's clever because it's about a guy named Arthur who is destined to take up an ancient throne... But if you can accept that this is a film where yes, there's going to be riding if giant seahorses, the rest of it is pretty decent superhero fare. It's pretty well made, the actions decent, performances are good, they manage to make Black Manta work as a badass on screen, the CGI is good. I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

Aquaman is ok in general but puts a massive tick in the shite big cgi battle at the end that’s really hard to care about

BvsS is littered with bizarrely bad moments both in decisions, scripts, even music and cinematography, makes it a hard watch imo including one laughably bad film ruining name moment 

SS is 2 hours of bad moments 

I am way more of a Marvel guy with really only Batman being the only character I like from DC.

With that being said, the original films with Michael Keaton are the best ones they have ever made in my opinion.

Every thing since asides from the Christian Bale Batman ones have been subpar on the whole imo.

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

Arguably.

The stuff they've released since Dark Knight Rises

Man of Steel - good.

BvS - the ultimate cut is deeply flawed but watchable

Suicide Squad - crap

Wonder Woman - good

Justice League - a bit crap

Aquaman - ludicrously silly, but it's Aquaman, of course it is. Decent.

Shazam - very silly, but fun.

Birds of Prey - ok

Wonder Woman 1984 - apparently a bit of a mess (I've not seen it)

Snyder Cut - decent

The Suicide Squad - seems a bit marmite

The issue isn't really that they've made bad movies on the whole, it's mostly that they've not made anything particularly brilliant. There's not much that they've done that's legitimately awful - the original Suicide Squad is the worst they've done, the other weak entries like BvS and the original JL suffer mostly for being messy, but they aren't awful. And the good stuff is solid

In my opinion you've overrated some of these films but if you enjoyed them that's all that matters.

I also feel there shouldn't need to be a special release of a film to make it not absolutely awful. 

When comparing the DCU to the MCU they're world's apart (Marvel aren't perfect mind), which is weird as historically it was the other way around. 

What's interesting is that the DC animated universe produces some very good films and possibly does better ones then Marvel. Under The Red Hood is a personal favourite. 

• Like 1

Just watched The Suicide Squad, never seen the "original" so can't compare it against that.

I thought it was just a bit crap, no laughs, and the characters were dull. The trailer looked good and I was looking forward to seeing it. Feel cheated now.

Marvel and DC could team up whilst signing John Wick in the January window and Dredd would still carve through them like butter.   

Pound for pound it's one of the best comic book adaptions ever made . I could genuinely watch it on repeat all day.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah when I moved, there’s more than 1 site that does it and the values vary, I ended up using 3 and having to scan and keep a spreadsheet of the collection and figure out which went where to earn me the most, think I ended up with MM, Momox and zaffit

Yeah I did MM first but they don’t offer much. I’ve done some on Zaffit they offer more but take less. Will have a look at Momox thanks. You don’t get much for any but better than nothing I suppose.

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Marvel and DC could team up whilst signing John Wick in the January window and Dredd would still carve through them like butter.   

Pound for pound it's one of the best comic book adaptions ever made . I could genuinely watch it on repeat all day.

In fairness this isn't wrong.

• Thanks 1

Â