The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Although it is openly available - I think I’ll take the kids to the cinema to watch Jungle Cruise in a few weeks time.

Good to hear its pretty good!

Definitely worth going cinema, it looks amazing, I'll pop back on later with the verdict.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Although it is openly available - I think I’ll take the kids to the cinema to watch Jungle Cruise in a few weeks time.

Good to hear its pretty good!

Really enjoyed it, great fun. The whole cast were great, Jesse Plemons looked like he's devoured Albuquerque.

If the kids are aged between 5 and 80 they will enjoy it, it will look great on a huge screen.

Negatives - nothing original, a few hat tips to some classic adventure films from before or could be seen as copying.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Jungle Cruise - completely rips off Pirates of The Caribbean  and the Mummy, but it's ok-ish... just about passible 

Now I think of it I was quite put out that whilst fishing Emily Blunt never got her tackle out.

Image result for ryan reynolds gifs

The acting gets a bit crap since every scene is against a green-screen. Other than that it was an OK-ish matinee adventure flick.

Not one of Disney's finest but does a job.

Edit: I did lose interest towards the end if I'm honest

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Jungle Cruise - completely rips off Pirates of The Caribbean  and the Mummy, but it's ok-ish... just about passible 

That's just how my wife and I described it.

Was missing something but still a 6 out of 10

7 hours ago, sne said:

And just like Pirates it is based on a Disney ride

Wait until next year when the tea cups themed film comes out, the rock fighting against out of their mind tea cups, smashing them left right and centre

Sounds a better pitch than skyscraper... 

• Haha 1

Saw The Sparks Brothers last night. It's long but it's great fun and really takes you through the highs and lows of Sparks' career. Edgar Wright does a great job of keeping the narrative moving and ensuring it's a fun ride at all times, despite it taking the standard form of a band biopic.

You won't even need to know much about Sparks to enjoy it, and as I have done, may come out of it with a new-found respect for their music.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Saw The Sparks Brothers last night. It's long but it's great fun and really takes you through the highs and lows of Sparks' career. Edgar Wright does a great job of keeping the narrative moving and ensuring it's a fun ride at all times, despite it taking the standard form of a band biopic.

You won't even need to know much about Sparks to enjoy it, and as I have done, may come out of it with a new-found respect for their music.

Thanks. This sounds right up my street. 

Just now, Lichfield Dean said:

I recommend it. The Mael brothers are really funny and buy into the documentary fully. 

Had to go to Nottingham to see it though. I would have expected to see it at The Electric in Brum but it seems like that's not reopening (which has upset me on a level similar to Jack leaving).

…. and in complete contrast to Si’s post :P……..

Deep Rising (1998)

Creature feature set on stranded cruise liner with terrible late 90’s CGI starring Treat Williams and Famke Janssen. A film I’d seen when I was about 15 I think and haven’t seen since. It’s hard to find a copy or even stream it and I never see it in CeX. For some bizarre reason it’s on Disney+ of all places. Was surprised to chance upon it. The guy who plays Benni in The Mummy is in it and is brilliant. Him and Treat get some great one liners. 

For years after I always got this and Ghost Ship mixed up all together into one film. It’s a truly truly terrible film on every level but I love it as the actors know it’s crap but just run with it. Much like Ghost Ship. 

2/10 in reality, 7/10 in my head. 

Edited by Ingram85

I can't hear "Hobbs & Shaw" without picturing some sort of hifalutin department store.  You know the type, has a whole floor dedicated to Cath Kidston shite.

On 01/08/2021 at 14:01, Ingram85 said:

Deep Rising (1998)

A great film!  Well, I mean no, it's not, but it also is.  At the very least; if 90's Famke Janssen, no can defence.

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I watched Tag at the weekend. A fair few laugh out loud funny moments. On the whole a solid 7/10 film with a 10/10 soundtrack. 

I thought it was a good harmless bit of fun, particularly enjoyed the end credits with the footage of the genuine tag match! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I thought it was a good harmless bit of fun, particularly enjoyed the end credits with the footage of the genuine tag match! 

Yeah. That was a great little addition. Loved the glee that these older fellas had for the game. 

• Like 1

Â