The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Somehow I’ve managed to never watch There will be blood and as it’s just appeared on Netflix I decided to finally sit down and watch it.

I thought the last half hour dragged a bit but my god what a performance from Daniel Day-Lewis, you literally can’t take your eyes off him and he manages to convey so many personality traits and make such a convincing troubled character, I can certainly see why he got the Oscar.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Somehow I’ve managed to never watch There will be blood and as it’s just appeared on Netflix I decided to finally sit down and watch it.

I thought the last half hour dragged a bit but my god what a performance from Daniel Day-Lewis, you literally can’t take your eyes off him and he manages to convey so many personality traits and make such a convincing troubled character, I can certainly see why he got the Oscar.

I think it's a masterpiece. DDL modelled Daniel Plainview, the way he moves and speaks on the great director John Huston, rather fittingly, himself a giant of a character.

I thought Paul Dano matched DDL the whole way, incredible performances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Hide contents

What did you think of the post credit ending?

Spoiler

Yeah! Just as you were thinking 'oh well, at least it's a reasonably happy ending for her"...Boom! 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Need to watch it again at some point, still not had a second viewing since the cinema, I think i judge it harshly on the basis that I saw no country for old men the week before and thought it was boring in comparison 

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Need to watch it again at some point, still not had a second viewing since the cinema, I think i judge it harshly on the basis that I saw no country for old men the week before and thought it was boring in comparison 

NCFOM is amazing, these 2 films went head to head in all the majors that year.

For me TWBB is a film to respect and the other I just love, one of my favourites.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They are weirdly similar but also very different at the same time. I think it would be very easy if you were told of the directors of both and had to match each to the film.

On 28/06/2021 at 04:57, AVFCDAN said:

Daniel Day Lewis GIF

On 29/06/2021 at 12:50, sne said:

The Ice Road, another garbage movie featuring Liam Neeson.

It really was. The story didn't make sense, the  acting was awful and it was less than the sum of its parts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, useless said:

yang33.jpg

That Day On The Beach - Debut film of Edward Yang, very good, I liked it, you could already see the beginnings of some his later films.

I've only seen Yiyi and that was good.

I might have to add a few of his others to my list.

Mrs was desperate to go to cinema so we went to see the latest Fast and Furious. Now I’ve not seen past number 6 I think, but I didn’t really need catching up. 
I laughed so much, because it is so so bad and unrealistic (yes I know it’s meant to be, there was one even a scene where they mocked it themselves).

Spoiler

They went to space my god

No  Sudden Move looks like exactly the kind of movie I want to go back to a cinema to see. A mid century Detroit heist film by Steven Soderbergh (Out of Sight, Traffic).

• Like 1

On 28/06/2021 at 18:34, Wainy316 said:

No Country for Old Men is the most faithful book adaption I’ve ever seen in a film.

On first viewing I was left a little frustrated and confused. But after subsequent viewings I think it is brilliant. The Coen Brothers are on a another level.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Watched this last night and thought it was very good indeed.

Set in Thatcher era Britain at the height of the 'Video Nasty' controversy - Niamh Algar (Calm with Horses, The Virtues) plays a film censor, who has been mentally damaged by an incident in her past.

The direction reminded me of Ben Wheatley, and has a very ominous, stripped back tone. Algar is great as usual, and really nails her role.

Recommended :thumb:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â