The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 23/05/2021 at 12:02, Phil Silvers said:

Watched a few weeks ago, loved it. Impossible to be anything but good from the maker combined with this cast.

Where/how did you watch this? I've searched my dodgy apps and couldn't find anything. 

19 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Where/how did you watch this? I've searched my dodgy apps and couldn't find anything. 

I had to download via the open seas.

Search for the original Danish title just in case

Retfærdighedens Ryttere

Good luck, it's worth finding.

• Like 1

On the subject of Mads. The Hunt is a hard hitting film. He is absolute quality. It's not one to warm the cockles but a gritty, superbly acted dramatic film awaits.

6f7a0c3a171abf7736971b40b555e0a1.jpg

• Like 3

On 26/05/2021 at 08:17, leemond2008 said:

I went to see the Conjuring 3 last night.

Weakest of the 3 films by quite a stretch for me, I think it was missing Wans direction, The Conjuring films have always relied on cheap jump scares (something which I usually can't stand but I accept in these films) but even these just didn't work, there wasn't a single time where I so much as did a micro jump (if that's even a thing) 

The "big reveal" was telegraphed from the start of the second act and the finale was utterly predictable, they have attempted to go in a different direction from the first two films and the early reviews of the film are overwhelmingly good but it just didn't work for me.

Whereas The Conjuring 2 had Valak and The Crooked Man, 3 lacked that character like this who you wanted to see more of, being that the Warrens were never afraid to *ahem* embellish their stories for the big screen I think that they missed a trick by not getting into the actual court room and going down the route of The Exorcism of Emily Rose (not saying they should have copied the Annalise Michel case but adding a bit of the paranormal to a court  room drama would have made the film a bit more interesting for me)

There were a couple of little homages to The Exorcist which were done quite nicely and one to the The Shining as well.

I think I might be being overly critical of it and I'll watch it again when I get the chance but at the minute it gets a low 6/10 from me (I was thinking 5/10 but I gave Spiral 5.5 and for all of its flaws this was a better film)

Disagree a tad, really enjoyed it. Solid 7.5/10

Tom Clancy’s Without Remorse was pretty average and didn’t make me eagerly anticipate the sequel mooted in the post credits scene...

Nobody on the other hand (starring Bob Odenkirk) was awesome (if you like John Wick/Taken/The Equaliser and Home Alone!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Nobody on the other hand (starring Bob Odenkirk) was awesome (if you like John Wick/Taken/The Equaliser and Home Alone!)

Nobody is a cracking film.

• Like 3

I really want to watch Nobody but I have to see the final season of BCS first as I don't want to merge the characters in my head . I don't want to be watching some tense scene with Gus Frings thinking why don't you just wipe them all out with a notepad Saul ?😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Unholy

20 minutes in and they are going all out on the horror tropes in this one

Flashback to witchy times

Journalist with questionable motives and a slight drinking problem

RING style character crawling out of a river

Statue of the virgin Mary crying blood 

I didn't have high hopes for this but thought I'd give it a shot because, well because it's a horror film and also because it's based on The Shrine by James Herbert, it was never one of his best books but it was pretty good.

• Like 1

Went to an actual cinematorium at the weekend and watched Those Who Wish Me Dead. Felt good to be able to go out for some food and sit and watch a film with more food. It’s been a while.

The films itself was alright, if not amazing. Angelina Jolie features as the forest fire fighter looking to redeem herself after a previous traumatic failing. 

Plenty of action ensues with some pleasingly brutal agents and some decent violence and fight scenes. Shane from The Walking Dead plays a large part, he isn’t called Shane in this, but we called him Shane anyway. 

There were some questions left unanswered which was annoying, you have to use your imagination to conclude the answers. It was fairly predictable from quite early on, which was fine as it just a straight forward action film so I didn’t really expect a lot from it. 

I’d rate it 6/10, worth a watch but you’re not missing out if you don’t.

Unsane (2018) - IMDb

I also watched this again last night, I bought it a few weeks ago to add to my collection, the film itself isn't without its problems, there are a few things that are quite jarring and seem out of place, it was as if at times it wanted to be two separate films but had to be shoehorned into one.

Having that Claire Foy was brilliant and a few of her scenes completely steal the show, Juno Temple also plays a decent part as well.

Also worth mentioning that the entire film was shot on an iPhone 4, which actually worked pretty well, at times it manages to add the claustrophobic feel.

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy over the weekend and thought it was good. Much better than the US remake. 

I managed to acquire the original tv series Millennium on the high seas which is even better, its effectively the trilogy spread over 6 2 part episodes with quite a few added scenes that help the story. One of my favourites. Noomi Rapace was excellent in this.

Watched IT chapter 1 for the 1st time and thought it was pretty good. The original terrified me as a child lol. I'm tempted to watch chapter 2 but I've heard it was shit. Anyone think otherwise? 

42 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

Watched IT chapter 1 for the 1st time and thought it was pretty good. The original terrified me as a child lol. I'm tempted to watch chapter 2 but I've heard it was shit. Anyone think otherwise? 

It was ok, better than expected but not at all scary. Worth watching though

• Thanks 1

Watched it about 2 weeks ago

Its OK, its crazy long and seems dafter than 1 which is hard to do, the actual IT is less interesting and so are the main characters, I think once it starts to try and go deeper in to the kids I realised how little I actually cared for any of them 

Its worth finishing it off though, 1 is maybe a 6/10 and 2 is a 5/10, it's the 2 and half hour length that really kills it, it can't pull it off 

• Like 2

Â