The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

10 hours ago, darrenm said:

Just came to post about how utterly terrible Tomorrow War is. It's mainly the script that lets it down.

I agree horrible film, copies the good bits from lots of sci-fi and turns them to plop, not least my all time favourite Alien, crying out loud they even found a poor replica of the Juggernaut but buried in ice in Russia, with a bunch of aliens, not in eggs, but in pods and quelle surprise a nasty horrible queen that they have to fight. Chris Pratt spent most of the film doing a wide eyed "I've just sat on something sharp" impression, his future daughter was lovely though.

Having said all that my 12 year old son loved it, so I guess its not really for us grown ups and should have a warning at the start of the film that we should suspend all disbelief when starting the film. (The film lost me when they fell from a height into a tiddly swimming pool on top of a sky scraper - what's the chances of them surviving?)

Edited by bielesibub
  • Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 22:06, Milfner said:

Palm Springs was a really good watch. Thought I’d hate it after the first five minutes but turned out to be a solid 7.5/10. 

18 hours ago, Milfner said:

Palm Springs was a really good watch. Thought I’d hate it after the first five minutes but turned out to be a solid 7.5/10. 

Stephen Colbert Laughing GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

spacer.png

Watching this one tonight and have got high hopes. 

Although getting slightly bored with the superhero gone bad genre. 

Spoiler

I had high hopes too as the concept was great but it fell flat and was overall very disappointing :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I had high hopes too as the concept was great but it fell flat and was overall very disappointing :( 

Spoiler

Great idea. Horribly played out. Poorly written to not really have any actual story. Goes into the action too quickly and he turns evil far to soon so you don't get chance to empathise with him or anyone else. He masters his powers overnight with no difficulty which makes no sense. It just drops storylines like the one about his crush after he kills her mum. Relies too much on shock and gore with no suspense. 

But Elizabeth Banks was good and always worth a watch. 

• Like 1

For some reason today I was in the mood to watch a real tearjerker, so earlier I finished 'Legends of the Fall for about the tenth time. One of my top all time movies.

It gets me every time.

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Tomorrow War is complete trash.

My take, having watched it this morning, was that is was just typical Hollywood schmaltz.  Various plot holes notwithstanding, most of the film was done well, to a Hollywood epic action template. It borrows heavily from jurassic park and alien/aliens, but is nowhere near as good as either. 

But it's relatively diverting and engaging, despite also being a bit rubbish. 

6/10. WNB

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

all the way up to imax quality 16gb though, I found a 1080p at 1.6gb and it looks great pal

I'll be over that like a tramp on chips when I get home

On 06/07/2021 at 07:53, bielesibub said:

I agree horrible film, copies the good bits from lots of sci-fi and turns them to plop, not least my all time favourite Alien, crying out loud they even found a poor replica of the Juggernaut but buried in ice in Russia, with a bunch of aliens, not in eggs, but in pods and quelle surprise a nasty horrible queen that they have to fight. Chris Pratt spent most of the film doing a wide eyed "I've just sat on something sharp" impression, his future daughter was lovely though.

Having said all that my 12 year old son loved it, so I guess its not really for us grown ups and should have a warning at the start of the film that we should suspend all disbelief when starting the film. (The film lost me when they fell from a height into a tiddly swimming pool on top of a sky scraper - what's the chances of them surviving?)

The juggernaut as in the Marvel juggernaut 

22 hours ago, Big Salad said:

For some reason today I was in the mood to watch a real tearjerker, so earlier I finished 'Legends of the Fall for about the tenth time. One of my top all time movies.

It gets me every time.

Beaches was on the other night, every bloody time

• Like 1

This having a modern slower version cover of an old hit in movies and TV-series has been done to death, re-animated and then done to death again. It needs to die for real.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, sne said:

This having a modern slower version cover of an old hit in movies and TV-series has been done to death, re-animated and then done to death again. It needs to die for real.

Loathe it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Weird Science is on BBC1 tonight - absolute classic teenage movie.

Probably very dated now but will rewatch nonetheless! 

enhance weird science GIF

Part of the John Hughes catalogue. Haven’t watched it in years but his movies were a big part of my childhood/teen years. Thanks for sharing, as will probably watch this now.

The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller and National Lampoon’s Vacation are still my favourites from this period. 

• Like 2

Â