Jump to content

The Film Thread


DeadlyDirk
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter

I went to an actual cinema for the first time in 15 months last night, to watch Nomadland. It was nice to be back in a cinema, they seem to have taken the opportunity to replace most of the seats with comfy recliners and there was barely anyone there so it was all very comfortable. Lots of utterly pointless hygiene theatre - upon arrival, I had to sign in and then squirt hand sanitiser over the pen I used, and there were signs in the bogs saying they are cleaned every 30 minutes. Still, I guess we haven't bothered telling people all this stuff is pointless, so I guess it's probably what the punters need to feel comfortable :(

Anyway, the film was good, very sad, but perhaps not quite at the level you might expect from its many awards. It repeats the beats from Into The Wild fairly closely, and might make the second-half of quite a good double bill with that movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had totally missed that there is a new  Anders Thomas Jensen movie out. Been out for half a year in Denmark but no cinemas here means I missed it apparently. Generally love his stuff with Adam's Apples, The Green Butchers and Flickering Lights being absolutely fantastic.

This one has 7,7 on IMDB and 81 on metacritic so hopefully more of the same.  

Riders of Justice Poster

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Had totally missed that there is a new  Anders Thomas Jensen movie out. Been out for half a year in Denmark but no cinemas here means I missed it apparently. Generally love his stuff with Adam's Apples, The Green Butchers and Flickering Lights being absolutely fantastic.

This one has 7,7 on IMDB and 81 on metacritic so hopefully more of the same.  

Riders of Justice Poster

Watched a few weeks ago, loved it. Impossible to be anything but good from the maker combined with this cast.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

Army of the Dead is perfectly fine as a stupid zombie movie. But feels like something should have been better than it ultimately is.

Spoiler

The pacing is off, there's no tension in the heist or anything relating to the heist, the action is pretty one note (the biggest opponent in the whole thing is a mattress) and wow is the 'homage' to Aliens on the nose. The final half hour is literally a reskin of Aliens, down to the Vazquez death, the company man betrayal, the Bishop late arrival, the riding the blast... And there's some weird stuff like a zombie getting from the roof of a casino hotel and across the strip on horseback faster than a helicopter that was already in the air can manage...

But it's fine.. It's watchable, it's decent for a zombie actioner.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
22 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Watched a few weeks ago, loved it. Impossible to be anything but good from the maker combined with this cast.

My favourite ATJ movie...

spacer.png

Absolutely bonkers brilliant 😃

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just went cinema for 1st time to see spiral book of saw.

Its not a "proper" saw film. It goes in a slightly different direction 

Personally i thought it was shit and probably one of the weaker saw films

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just went cinema for 1st time to see spiral book of saw.

Its not a "proper" saw film. It goes in a slightly different direction 

Personally i thought it was shit and probably one of the weaker saw films

I went to see this on Sunday, it was alright, its basically a watered down Saw crossed with a poor mans Se7en, you can tell that they actually tried to reinvigorate the franchise with this one but the twist was telegraphed right from the beginning and the Se7en style cop thriller didn't land either.

It was perfectly acceptable as a Saw film and better than the last few that they released. I can't help but think that the 90 minute run time let it down, if it had an extra 30 minutes then they could have done a lot more with it but it felt quite rushed, there was no real direction from the investigation point of view either, Zeke would receive a package, they immediately knew where to go to find the body and ultimately had absolutely zero **** idea as to who they were looking for, they just spent the film waiting for people to turn up dead.

The film does get an extra point purely for the fact that they managed to shoehorn in Samuel L shouting "YOU WANT TO PLAY A GAME MOTHER ****"

5.5/10 for me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm off to see The Conjuring 3 tonight, the other 2 Conjuring films were really good but the rest of the ones from that universe are **** terrible.

I also hate the fact that they are based on Ed and Lorraine Warren, they were real scam artists, even in the world of paranormal they were at the top of the scammers

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I went to see this on Sunday, it was alright, its basically a watered down Saw crossed with a poor mans Se7en, you can tell that they actually tried to reinvigorate the franchise with this one but the twist was telegraphed right from the beginning and the Se7en style cop thriller didn't land either.

It was perfectly acceptable as a Saw film and better than the last few that they released. I can't help but think that the 90 minute run time let it down, if it had an extra 30 minutes then they could have done a lot more with it but it felt quite rushed, there was no real direction from the investigation point of view either, Zeke would receive a package, they immediately knew where to go to find the body and ultimately had absolutely zero **** idea as to who they were looking for, they just spent the film waiting for people to turn up dead.

The film does get an extra point purely for the fact that they managed to shoehorn in Samuel L shouting "YOU WANT TO PLAY A GAME MOTHER ****"

5.5/10 for me

Spoiler

I saw the twist straight away. It was so blatent it was his new partner. It was very predictable. I thought the bit with samuel l jackosn holding the gun and pointing it at them was utterly stupid. Couldnt they see he was strapped up? And why would a swat team then shoot him like 50 times? I mean that was silly.

Your right it did have a feeling of se7en to it but it just wasnt very good.

I get its a new direction but it did need tobin bell in it for me

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to see the Conjuring 3 last night.

Weakest of the 3 films by quite a stretch for me, I think it was missing Wans direction, The Conjuring films have always relied on cheap jump scares (something which I usually can't stand but I accept in these films) but even these just didn't work, there wasn't a single time where I so much as did a micro jump (if that's even a thing) 

The "big reveal" was telegraphed from the start of the second act and the finale was utterly predictable, they have attempted to go in a different direction from the first two films and the early reviews of the film are overwhelmingly good but it just didn't work for me.

Whereas The Conjuring 2 had Valak and The Crooked Man, 3 lacked that character like this who you wanted to see more of, being that the Warrens were never afraid to *ahem* embellish their stories for the big screen I think that they missed a trick by not getting into the actual court room and going down the route of The Exorcism of Emily Rose (not saying they should have copied the Annalise Michel case but adding a bit of the paranormal to a court  room drama would have made the film a bit more interesting for me)

There were a couple of little homages to The Exorcist which were done quite nicely and one to the The Shining as well.

I think I might be being overly critical of it and I'll watch it again when I get the chance but at the minute it gets a low 6/10 from me (I was thinking 5/10 but I gave Spiral 5.5 and for all of its flaws this was a better film)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot.  Smith did a great job shitting on the film industry and reboot culture whilst making a genuinely good reboot at the same time.  Some of the cameos are ace.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

Just back from Cruella. 

It's actually brilliant. Loved it.

It looks amazing and has a great soundtrack. The story is fine.

At no time is there not something beautiful to look at or a remastered classic track that doesn't feel hackneyed in.

Thumbs up from me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Yearling 1946

Watched this early this morning for the first time in probably 40 years. It didn't disappoint and looked wonderful on a big screen, beautifully photographed and a cracking performance from Claude Jarman as Jody. One of my favorite family films of all time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
On 26/05/2021 at 08:17, leemond2008 said:

I went to see the Conjuring 3 last night.

Weakest of the 3 films by quite a stretch for me, I think it was missing Wans direction, The Conjuring films have always relied on cheap jump scares (something which I usually can't stand but I accept in these films) but even these just didn't work, there wasn't a single time where I so much as did a micro jump (if that's even a thing) 

The "big reveal" was telegraphed from the start of the second act and the finale was utterly predictable, they have attempted to go in a different direction from the first two films and the early reviews of the film are overwhelmingly good but it just didn't work for me.

Whereas The Conjuring 2 had Valak and The Crooked Man, 3 lacked that character like this who you wanted to see more of, being that the Warrens were never afraid to *ahem* embellish their stories for the big screen I think that they missed a trick by not getting into the actual court room and going down the route of The Exorcism of Emily Rose (not saying they should have copied the Annalise Michel case but adding a bit of the paranormal to a court  room drama would have made the film a bit more interesting for me)

There were a couple of little homages to The Exorcist which were done quite nicely and one to the The Shining as well.

I think I might be being overly critical of it and I'll watch it again when I get the chance but at the minute it gets a low 6/10 from me (I was thinking 5/10 but I gave Spiral 5.5 and for all of its flaws this was a better film)

 

Going with my youngest tonight, quite exited and equally shocked he is actually old enough to get it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
13 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

Watched the new Guy Ritchie film Wrath of Man last night and it was pretty good. Didn’t even know he had a new film out 

Didn’t know either, thanks. His last film with Hugh Grant was great. Jason Statham in the new one, count me in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â