The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

No  Sudden Move looks like exactly the kind of movie I want to go back to a cinema to see. A mid century Detroit heist film by Steven Soderbergh (Out of Sight, Traffic).

That sounds right up my street too, thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

Started watching The Tomorrow War but almost turned it off after 10 minutes. Chis Pratt is either a horrible actor or extremely miscast for this role. It feels like he's acting in a comedy and not in a action sci-fi. I guess he's supposed to be charming and such but it just comes off as odd and not fitting in with the rest of the movie.

2 hours left of the movie so it might pick up but so far it's basically a very flat comedy.

3 hours ago, sne said:

Started watching The Tomorrow War but almost turned it off after 10 minutes. Chis Pratt is either a horrible actor or extremely miscast for this role. It feels like he's acting in a comedy and not in a action sci-fi. I guess he's supposed to be charming and such but it just comes off as odd and not fitting in with the rest of the movie.

2 hours left of the movie so it might pick up but so far it's basically a very flat comedy.

It's a strange one. Not the worst movie I have seen and far from being the best. I wouldn't have paid to watch it in the cinema

Recently watched ‘Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom’ and it was perfectly alright.

But knowing nothing about it, we agreed it must previously have been a play and the staging of it had the feel of someone filming a play.

Just remembered to google it up, and sure enough, it started life as a play so I guess other than top and tailing it with two very short outdoor scenes they stayed pretty close to the original.

6 hours ago, sne said:

At best it's utterly **** stupid 

At its worst... 

4/10 maybe, there were some decent bits, a lot of bits that other films did better (even battleground LA or whatever it was called) surprised pratt was in it, it feels like a low budget film trying to flirt with a summer blockbuster and rightfully getting laughed at 

• Like 1

Till Death 2021

Just caught this, its a home invasion thriller staring Megan Fox ooof, its a tough genre too tackle and hard to pull it off but this ain't bad as it goes, there is a twist to how it plays out and its quite entertaining. It's a low budget movie that some how looks like that looks like they spent more on it.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

At best it's utterly **** stupid 

At its worst... 

4/10 maybe, there were some decent bits, a lot of bits that other films did better (even battleground LA or whatever it was called) surprised pratt was in it, it feels like a low budget film trying to flirt with a summer blockbuster and rightfully getting laughed at 

And keeping with that I just finished Wrath of Man. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a Guy Richie movie starring Jason Statham these days. It's not the late 90's anymore.

The movie feels like (a expensive version of) one of those straight to video 90's movies where nothing feels like it could actually take place in a real world. Mix between The Rock and Point Break, but not in a good way featuring Jason Statham being Jason Statham. The hole thing is one big cliché.

But it's not the worst movie I've seen today...

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Watched "Yesterday" on BBC1 last night. You know, that rom-com about a world in which The Beatles never existed then some moron comes along and sings their songs. 

Couldn't help but think of @bickster

:)

FTFY

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

FTFY

Slightly embarrassed to say I rather enjoyed it. Himesh Patel did the songs pretty well. Joel Fry and Sanjeev Bhaskar were amusing, and even (again, hate to admit it it) Ed Sheeran acquitted himself pretty well. Pure fluff and nonsense, but I was expecting much worse. 

• Like 1

Â