The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Tomorrow's War is just that bit too shit to be entertainingly shit. Po-faced and not self aware of it's absurdity, but worst of all is the plot holes. I forgive plot holes in most disaster movies, but with time travel, there are so many situations where you just think "huh?" well why the hell didn't they do x, y, z! That pitch meeting video is spot on. Too shit to forgive it really. 

A Quiet Place 2 in a cinema was an absolute joy though. The kids are just magnificent. 

• Like 3

Watched Blazing Saddles today for the first time in several years. No way though this kind of movie could be made in today's society however.

😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

Watched Blazing Saddles today for the first time in several years. No way though this kind of movie could be made in today's society however.

😁

Love this film and quite right, it's from a different era. Love Madeline Khan, favourite comedic actress of all time and was taken too soon. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

The juggernaut as in the Marvel juggernaut 

I thought the crashed ship on LV?-blah? (probably should google it) with the 'Engineers' and eggs in Alien was called the Juggernaut.

• Thanks 1

Bit odd watching 2 movies this week where Stranger Things actors Davis Harbour (Black Widow) and Sadie Sink (Fear Street pt 2) play extremely similar roles to the ones they play in Stranger Things.

Sadie Sink has the exact same outfits in Fear Street as she has in ST and Harbour in a washed up slob who ends up in a Russian jail in both ST and in Black Widow.

If you didn't know what you were watching you could have been fooled it was Stranger Things at a quick glance.

3 hours ago, bielesibub said:

I thought the crashed ship on LV?-blah? (probably should google it) with the 'Engineers' and eggs in Alien was called the Juggernaut.

Thought it was just commonly known as "The Derelict".

Ah, looked it up, Juggernaut's the Prometheus/Covenant name.  Ergo; does not exist in my head-canon, as I pretend those films NEVER. HAPPENED.

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 19:22, theboyangel said:

Weird Science is on BBC1 tonight - absolute classic teenage movie.

Probably very dated now but will rewatch nonetheless! 

enhance weird science GIF

Great call. The scene where the boys are in the Jazz club. Slays me.

spacer.png

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

Snatch is one of the best movies made since 2000. It may be a perfect movie.

Ignoring the post 2000 bit, I felt the same about Lock, Stock... after I last watched it. Approaching perfection.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Snatch is one of the best movies made since 2000. It may be a perfect movie.

I feel the same way about Boondock Saints.

• Like 1

On 10/07/2021 at 07:20, Rodders said:

Tomorrow's War is just that bit too shit to be entertainingly shit. Po-faced and not self aware of it's absurdity, but worst of all is the plot holes. I forgive plot holes in most disaster movies, but with time travel, there are so many situations where you just think "huh?" well why the hell didn't they do x, y, z! That pitch meeting video is spot on. Too shit to forgive it really. 

A Quiet Place 2 in a cinema was an absolute joy though. The kids are just magnificent. 

I hate all movies of a similar profile to this one. Brain dead, violent rubbish.

• Like 1

Gettysburg 1993

Had this on the list for years and was always put off by its long running time.

It's a great war film all told, very long but ultimately rewarding. Loved the performances of Jeff Daniels, Tom Berrenger and Richard Jordan who died before the film was released.

For war film fans It's well worth it, especially for the battle of little round top and the battle at Gettysberg. 

Really want to know more now about the whole war, I'd imagine there a many documentaries and any recommendations would be appreciated. 

Watched the Death of Stalin again on Sunday.

A thoroughly entertaining black comedy with a decent amount of historic accuracy. Some absolutely glorious performances including Jason Isaacs having a world of fun as Georgy Zhukov, and Simon Russell Beale as Beria is magnificent and a total bastard. Always love Armando Ianucci's stuff and would love to see him tackle some other historical political manoeuvring

• Like 3

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

I hate all movies of a similar profile to this one. Brain dead, violent rubbish.

i dont, they have a place, i will at some point watch F9 or whatever they've called it, its all about mood and what im doing at that time, if you catch it right or wrong a marvel film will be better than shawshank and a pixar cartoon will be better than both, thats the joy of movies, sometimes i just like things being shot and loud bangs and there's only so many times i can watch starship troopers 

im not like some on here though who will watch the blatantly B movie stuff but then im not sure if what amazon and netflix are doing is skewing that and making more available and less obvious, I've sat through the tomorrow war and army of the dead in the last 2 months, i wouldnt watch them at the cinema even with a membership 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i dont, they have a place, i will at some point watch F9 or whatever they've called it, its all about mood and what im doing at that time, if you catch it right or wrong a marvel film will be better than shawshank and a pixar cartoon will be better than both, thats the joy of movies, sometimes i just like things being shot and loud bangs and there's only so many times i can watch starship troopers 

im not like some on here though who will watch the blatantly B movie stuff but then im not sure if what amazon and netflix are doing is skewing that and making more available and less obvious, I've sat through the tomorrow war and army of the dead in the last 2 months, i wouldnt watch them at the cinema even with a membership 

Yep, a very similar film, Edge of Tomorrow, is utterly superb.

• Like 2

Â