The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 25/04/2019 at 22:33, Chindie said:

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

I wanted to see this at the cinema around Christmas, but personal circumstances meant that didn't happen. All the more annoying when everyone sang its praises.

Finally saw it today.

Wow.

That is an arrestingly beautiful film. It's an animation like I've never seen before. The trailers made me unsure of it but the whole thing is just wonderful. It has a mash up of old school comic book art tropes (many scenes have that 'dot' texture you get in old print comics) and graffiti style, and then mixes it up even further with different characters having different styles. It looks incredible.

It's wonderfully written, has a loving reverence for the character(s), down to the design of Kingpin being based on a really obscure version, a nice story and message... It's great. I don't even like the Miles Morales Spider-Man, and the Spiderverse comic is mostly rubbish but this is excellent. Probably the best Spider-Man film. Even manages to take a really D list villain in the Prowler and make him good.

Excellent.

I saw a story today that a TV series is in the works

I've just watched Matthew Holness's utterly superb Possum.

19969_1_large.thumb.jpg.39af801b65737a77a12467c586bbf083.jpg

...I may not sleep well tonight.

Seriously, what a beautifully dark and disturbing piece of work.

I get the feeling this one will stay with me for days.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

Watched that new Ted Bundy film ‘Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile’. 

I thought it was decentish. Zac Efron is surprisingly ok in the lead role (he carries the film tbf), and it’s an interesting take on the story. Had a bit of a People Vs OJ Simpson vibe to it. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2019 at 22:44, Designer1 said:

Seriously, what a beautifully dark and disturbing piece of work.

Image result for garth marenghi's darkplace gif

Still haven't watched Possum.  Really need to get on that at some point.

32 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Image result for garth marenghi's darkplace gif

Still haven't watched Possum.  Really need to get on that at some point.

Still thinking about it. Utterly brilliant.

I suppose there's a fair bit of time before the release - but enough to seemlessly redesign the main character of the film? Hm. 

This guy's the director of the Sonic movie, btw. 

Edited by hogso

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil & Vile was good. Definitely worthwhile watching The Ted Bundy Tapes before watching the film though as they don't really go into his crimes in much detail.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil & Vile was good. Definitely worthwhile watching The Ted Bundy Tapes before watching the film though as they don't really go into his crimes in much detail.

They definitely missed a trick with the film overall imo. 

I get that it was from his partner’s perspective and the aim was to show more of the charming/charismatic side of him, but Efron showed glimpses of being genuinely menacing and they didn’t utilise that enough. You didn’t see enough of the dark, which would have highlighted the contrast in a better way imo. 

Still decent though and a really good effort from Efron. 

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I hate the title of that film. 

It’s advertised on half the podcasts I listen to and it drives me mad that it’s so long!

I totally agree! 

I nearly mentioned it my initial post about the film - it’s just a weirdly shite thing to call it and as you say, it’s way too long. I can’t believe somebody with a bit of sense didn’t intervene on it before release. 

Edited by wazzap24

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I hate the title of that film. 

It’s advertised on half the podcasts I listen to and it drives me mad that it’s so long!

If you would be embarrassed to ask for a ticket at the box office, then it's a shit title. This one definitely qualifies. 

The all-time champion of this remains 'The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants' though. 

• Like 1

I think a contender for the most embarrassing would be “One ticket for ‘You don’t mess with the Zohan’ please.”

Or the title of pretty much any Adam Sandler movie would do the trick.

On the subject of terrible film titles, if you’re ever playing charades I can highly recommend “The Hudsucker Proxy” as a film to give a rival to act out it’s name. It works especially well if the person who has to perform it has never heard of the film.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/04/2019 at 22:33, Chindie said:

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

I wanted to see this at the cinema around Christmas, but personal circumstances meant that didn't happen. All the more annoying when everyone sang its praises.

Finally saw it today.

Wow.

That is an arrestingly beautiful film. It's an animation like I've never seen before. The trailers made me unsure of it but the whole thing is just wonderful. It has a mash up of old school comic book art tropes (many scenes have that 'dot' texture you get in old print comics) and graffiti style, and then mixes it up even further with different characters having different styles. It looks incredible.

It's wonderfully written, has a loving reverence for the character(s), down to the design of Kingpin being based on a really obscure version, a nice story and message... It's great. I don't even like the Miles Morales Spider-Man, and the Spiderverse comic is mostly rubbish but this is excellent. Probably the best Spider-Man film. Even manages to take a really D list villain in the Prowler and make him good.

Excellent.

Saw this on Blu ray last night.

Absolutely stunning movie. Your review is bang on the money. 

• Like 1

Just watched “Anomalisa” for the first time.

Interesting, typically Kaufman-esque so it’s not going to appeal to everyone but I liked it. David Thewlis is rather good, isn’t he?

There were a few occasions when I forgot it was stop motion, the sex scene managed to avoid looking anything like Team America anyway.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2019 at 12:40, Designer1 said:

The_Kindergarten_Teacher.jpg.8a62fa21d3a45da2f942dd3d4a85cf29.jpg

A terrific performance from Gyllenhaal in a thoughtful and subtly layered movie.

Recommended :thumb:

Caught this on a flight yesterday. 

Not at all what I was expecting, but in a good way. Brilliant. 

Last scene, specifically literally the last 10 seconds, is heartbreaking.  

• Like 1

Â