The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Whilst I was a little disappointed they decided to reboot Hellboy instead of continuing with Ron Perlman, I do feel a bit for David Harbour in his first major lead (after great work in Stranger Things) and it turns out to be a turkey. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Whilst I was a little disappointed they decided to reboot Hellboy instead of continuing with Ron Perlman, I do feel a bit for David Harbour in his first major lead (after great work in Stranger Things) and it turns out to be a turkey. 

He was offered the reboot but turned it down, he would only make number 3 instead of restarting.

Shazam: Meh. It was ok - had a bit of an 80’s feel to it, but a lot of the jokes and stuff missed the mark. Very much one for the pre-teens. 

Hotel Artemis: hadn’t heard of this at all until it popped up on Sky. It was a decent watch, but felt like a feature length episode of a TV show. Reminded me of Black Mirror, crossed with ‘Four Rooms’ from the 90’s. 

Watched ‘You Were Never Really Here’ the other day. 

Weirdly, I found it to be the opposite of the saying ‘more than the sum of it’s parts’

I thought Phoenix was amazing, I loved the soundtrack, it looked fantastic  and it didn’t overstay it’s welcome with a long running time like so many films do these days. Despite all that, I felt the film as whole was a bit ‘meh’. I think there were too many ‘arty’ shots of the main character wandering about with traffic noise in the background and the opening half hour didn’t do anything to make me invested in the character, by the time the story actually got going. 

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Finally getting a UK home media release this week. Only on Amazon Prime unfortunately but better than nothing. Looking forward to finally seeing it.

Don't get your hopes up too high (I made that mistake). It's...interesting but falls way short of Argento.

• Like 1

Watched this a week ago. Not the best of films, but it was really horrible to watch. I'm not for death penalty, but Breivik deserves a slow, painfull death. Like, you know, lock him up in a cell and throw away the key. Give him bread and water.

image.png.bf5223b088e1da6059d1631a0f1005f3.png

2 hours ago, Pelle said:

Watched this a week ago. Not the best of films, but it was really horrible to watch. I'm not for death penalty, but Breivik deserves a slow, painfull death. Like, you know, lock him up in a cell and throw away the key. Give him bread and water.

I really don't think they should have made that. It doesn't sit right with me at all. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I really don't think they should have made that. It doesn't sit right with me at all. 

I was thinking the same thing through all the film. Was it really right? I think the intention was good, but I'm leaning to thinking that I agree with you. And apparently they made 3 films about this last year, Greengrass being the director of one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pelle said:

That the one where you basically follow 1 character?

Only seen the other one called "July 22" (the Greengrass one) 

4 minutes ago, sne said:

That the one where you basically follow 1 character?

Only seen the other one called "July 22" (the Greengrass one) 

Yep, you follow the girl on the picture. You hardly see Breivik at all, which I think is for the better. How is the Greengrass one?

Just now, Pelle said:

Yep, you follow the girl on the picture. You hardly see Breivik at all, which I think is for the better. How is the Greengrass one?

It's OK-ish.

The acting is OK, the pacing is a bit off and they try covering the whole story but it feels rushed and it doesn't feel "authentic" even with the shaky camera and stuff.

It's hard to really say with such a horrible event.

1 minute ago, sne said:

It's OK-ish.

The acting is OK, the pacing is a bit off and they try covering the whole story but it feels rushed and it doesn't feel "authentic" even with the shaky camera and stuff.

It's hard to really say with such a horrible event.

Well, I'm home from work with a bad back (ryggskott) so I'm about to watch it now. Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Watched "Dragged across concrete " last night

feels like you are watching something you've seen before , bit of a slow burner , Gibson seems to be playing himself at times with his racist cop routine  ,  not as brutal as Bone Tomahawk ( by the same director)  and not really sure why they gave it an 18 rating , tad predictable as heist type movies tend to be but  enjoyable enough and worth a watch if you've a spare 2 1/2 hours

• Like 1

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

This film is a true tragedy  It will stay with me.

The full film is on Youtube and the trailer reveals a lot if you want to watch it without knowing anything (although you may know of the case)

I recommend watching it but it is a sad one and that's a huge understatement. 

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

I wanted to see this at the cinema around Christmas, but personal circumstances meant that didn't happen. All the more annoying when everyone sang its praises.

Finally saw it today.

Wow.

That is an arrestingly beautiful film. It's an animation like I've never seen before. The trailers made me unsure of it but the whole thing is just wonderful. It has a mash up of old school comic book art tropes (many scenes have that 'dot' texture you get in old print comics) and graffiti style, and then mixes it up even further with different characters having different styles. It looks incredible.

It's wonderfully written, has a loving reverence for the character(s), down to the design of Kingpin being based on a really obscure version, a nice story and message... It's great. I don't even like the Miles Morales Spider-Man, and the Spiderverse comic is mostly rubbish but this is excellent. Probably the best Spider-Man film. Even manages to take a really D list villain in the Prowler and make him good.

Excellent.

• Like 4

Â