The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Wonder

Well what a lovely film this is, a quality understated performance from Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson but the star of the show is clearly Jacob Tremblay, I’ve heard a lot about this kid but never actually seen one of his films, it’s such a great performance I’ll certaibly be watching Room soon as well. Just a lovely little film and highly recommended.

• Like 3

On 05/10/2018 at 21:22, PieFacE said:

I used to think Aquaman was just a made up superhero that the Entourage writers came up with to give Vinnie a superhero role. Was shocked it's an actual thing. Surely there's no demand for this film? I understand the desire for Spiderman, Batman and Superman films.... but Antman, Aquaman, Black Panther.?.. don't get it.

It's a comic book superhero film.

Most likely it will be utter shite and make a bazillion dollars.

People love them. Each to their own I guess.

I saw "A Star is Born" tonight.

Probably not a film I'd have seen by choice (it was the OH's choice) but I was pleasantly surprised. It was very good.

Lady Gaga is excellent.

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Upgrade.

Pretty solid low budget Sci-fi movie.

Strong 6/10 that cost less to make than some much worse big budget flicks spend on catering

Logan Marshall-Green and Rosco Campbell in Upgrade (2018)

Fantastic film. I think I'd go a bit higher than 6 out of 10 though ;)

• Like 1

Just finished the live action Bleach and it was actually quite good surprisingly. Was expecting either a train wreck or mediocrity (Death Note) but it pulled it off (lol).

Checked out Venom yesterday with my teenagers dragging me along. I was initially excited about the movie, but some negative reviews made me wary. I shouldn't have worried, its a solid enjoyable move. Some things could have been better, and I think it should have tried to be more of an adult movie, and not try and fit into a PG13 rating, but overall it was enjoyable

• Like 1

Also watched The Road (2009). Viggo Mortensen is a fav of mine, but I've avoided this movie as I knew it was dark and depressing. 

I really liked it, although it is a tough movie to watch. Very well acted and made, but a very grey settings, with not much hope throughout

After watching Jurassic Park again last week I stuck The Lost World on last night.  It's a bit shit all round really, but what really bugs me is the scene where the boat crashes into San Diego harbour and they find all the crew has been eaten, but the T-rex is locked up so couldn't possibly have eaten them.  If another dinosaur had done it, where the **** did they go?

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

After watching Jurassic Park again last week I stuck The Lost World on last night.  It's a bit shit all round really, but what really bugs me is the scene where the boat crashes into San Diego harbour and they find all the crew has been eaten, but the T-rex is locked up so couldn't possibly have eaten them.  If another dinosaur had done it, where the **** did they go?

I guess the idea is that it somehow got out, ran around the ship eating people and then went back in the storage thing, kinda closing the door behind itself. Or that the mechanism that controls the door has a mind of it’s own after the chaos has taken place.

There’s that one shot of a dismembered hand in that little room (is it holding the steering wheel?). How the T-Rex managed to eat that person without smashing the rest of the room to pieces I don’t know.

The best thing about the film by quite some distance is Pete Postlethwaite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I guess the idea is that it somehow got out, ran around the ship eating people and then went back in the storage thing, kinda closing the door behind itself. Or that the mechanism that controls the door has a mind of it’s own after the chaos has taken place.

There’s that one shot of a dismembered hand in that little room (is it holding the steering wheel?). How the T-Rex managed to eat that person without smashing the rest of the room to pieces I don’t know.

The best thing about the film by quite some distance is Pete Postlethwaite.

I'm guessing they were hoping nobody would notice. I thought maybe the baby t-rex did it but he was flown rather than on the boat.  I've looked it up and apparently there was meant to be a scene that got cut where velociraptors did it, but how they got off the boat I have no idea.  Apart from that, the rest of the film is completely realistic.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NoCoder said:

Also watched The Road (2009). Viggo Mortensen is a fav of mine, but I've avoided this movie as I knew it was dark and depressing. 

I really liked it, although it is a tough movie to watch. Very well acted and made, but a very grey settings, with not much hope throughout

With today’s climate change reports it looks like it won’t be long before we’re living the real life version!

• Like 1

Just finished watching Amour by Haneke.  ?

touch watch, but I thought it was beautifully done - about an elderly man caring for his increasingly debilitatingly ill wife. The plan was for another Haneke film this evening - the Piano Teacher but I think I'll be giving that a wide berth. May see which of the marvel films are available on netflix or prime instead :D 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Just finished watching Amour by Haneke.  ?

touch watch, but I thought it was beautifully done - about an elderly man caring for his increasingly debilitatingly ill wife. The plan was for another Haneke film this evening - the Piano Teacher but I think I'll be giving that a wide berth. May see which of the marvel films are available on netflix or prime instead :D 

Der Sibente Kontinent! 

• Haha 1

Â