The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Just finished watching Amour by Haneke.  ?

touch watch, but I thought it was beautifully done - about an elderly man caring for his increasingly debilitatingly ill wife. The plan was for another Haneke film this evening - the Piano Teacher but I think I'll be giving that a wide berth. May see which of the marvel films are available on netflix or prime instead :D 

The Piano Teacher is utterly brilliant (and bonkers).

On 08/10/2018 at 12:13, NoCoder said:

Also watched The Road (2009). Viggo Mortensen is a fav of mine, but I've avoided this movie as I knew it was dark and depressing. 

I really liked it, although it is a tough movie to watch. Very well acted and made, but a very grey settings, with not much hope throughout

Remember coming out of the cinema after watching that and saying to my mates, "That was really quite good and I'm never going to watch it ever again."

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hornso said:

Remember coming out of the cinema after watching that and saying to my mates, "That was really quite good and I'm never going to watch it ever again."

i enjoyed it that much i read the book and then still never watched the film ever again

maybe an interesting topic - best film you cant be bothered to watch again?

i know inception would be on my list, i feel like i really enjoyed it first time but if i watched it again it would start to unravel and i'd pick loads of flaws in it

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

i enjoyed it that much i read the book and then still never watched the film ever again

i know inception would be on my list, i feel like i really enjoyed it first time but if i watched it again it would start to unravel and i'd pick loads of flaws in it

You can still appreciate the spectacle of “Inception”, the “heist film” nature of it. But you’re probably right in that it won’t hold up, especially if you’ve built it up in your mind over the years (the snow bit I just find dull). 

It’s a difficult one, I quite like going back years later and watching a film to see if I view it in the same way or I notice something I didn’t before. Films I really like or films I’m prepared to give another chance.

“In the loop” maybe? I love “The thick of it”, so if I want to visit that world and those characters (well a rough approximation of most of them) I’d rather watch the series than a film that’s not really in keeping with the rest of it.

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

You can still appreciate the spectacle of “Inception”, the “heist film” nature of it. But you’re probably right in that it won’t hold up, especially if you’ve built it up in your mind over the years (the snow bit I just find dull). 

the theory i like with inception that i dont want to fall apart - 

Spoiler

the spinning top thing isnt his, its his wifes, the whole thing is a dream

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the theory i like with inception that i dont want to fall apart - 

Reveal hidden contents

the spinning top thing isnt his, its his wifes, the whole thing is a dream

I hadn’t heard that before. I don’t think it is, but then I’m not an avid fan and studied the film to the nth degree.

Just watched Leave No Trace (2018).  Ben Foster and Thomasin McKenzie are both fantastic in this movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. From the same director as Winter's Bone

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I liked Inception, but once I noticed that a massive part of the plot in that snow bit just doesn't make any sense, I found it hard to go back to it.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

For me it was/is The Revenant

Took me ages to watch it. Even though I knew it was highly rated, I liked the cast, I liked the premise I just couldn't bring myself to invest and watch it.

Finally did a couple of months ago, absolutely loved it! But I don't think I'll ever re-watch it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I liked Inception, but once I noticed that a massive part of the plot in that snow bit just doesn't make any sense, I found it hard to go back to it.

It’s been a while since I’ve watched the film, what’s the plot hole in the snow bit?

I just found it a bit underwhelming as the sort of climax of the film. I felt the stuff set in the hotel before was more interesting.

55 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It’s been a while since I’ve watched the film, what’s the plot hole in the snow bit?

I'm gonna spoiler it

Spoiler

The whole premise is to wake up, you need a "kick" from the level above right? Someone jerks you awake in that level and you come out of the level below.

In the snow bit, they go to sleep again and end up in another level below that.
But to get themselves out of that level, they jump off a cliff in that level to give themselves the kick.

But that doesn't work. Because it needs to be in the level above (the snow level).

I know that sounds pretty minor but they spend a lot of time establishing these rules, and then break one of the main ones.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm gonna spoiler it

Hide contents

The whole premise is to wake up, you need a "kick" from the level above right? Someone jerks you awake in that level and you come out of the level below.

In the snow bit, they go to sleep again and end up in another level below that.
But to get themselves out of that level, they jump off a cliff in that level to give themselves the kick.

But that doesn't work. Because it needs to be in the level above (the snow level).

I know that sounds pretty minor but they spend a lot of time establishing these rules, and then break one of the main ones.

Ah yeah, I’ve never really been a fan of that aspect of the film, or at least it could have been presented better. I think it’s just a symptom of it trying to be a bit too clever and then getting muddled along the way.

Another Stephen King remake.

Hope they get the feeling right and it might be OK, John Lithgow is always good.

Seem to be countless of King books turned into movies again these days.

• Like 1

It seems to be pitched pretty well. It's a wonderfully disturbing book. King almost didn't publish it as he thought initially that he had gone too far. The concept of 'sometimes dead is better' is probably one of the best things he's ever written, right up there with 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed'. With regards to Pet Semetary specifically, it's very filmable, and plays on that insatiable human need to found out 'what if?', even with horrifying consequences. As far as the on going King adaptations (or not: see Castle Rock), there's so much more there to do. The Stand being the obvious one, for me though it simply must be a TV show, say 10 parts. And feel free to change the ending CBS!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogso said:

It seems to be pitched pretty well. It's a wonderfully disturbing book. King almost didn't publish it as he thought initially that he had gone too far. The concept of 'sometimes dead is better' is probably one of the best things he's ever written, right up there with 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed'. With regards to Pet Semetary specifically, it's very filmable, and plays on that insatiable human need to found out 'what if?', even with horrifying consequences. As far as the on going King adaptations (or not: see Castle Rock), there's so much more there to do. The Stand being the obvious one, for me though it simply must be a TV show, say 10 parts. And feel free to change the ending CBS!

The 80's and early 90's was the golden years for tv and movie adaptations for King. From what I remember from the books and movies they often started up with a really interesting premise but petered out towards a disappointing end.

The Stand mini series a perfect example. The opening part of that book and mini series is brilliant (or at least from what I remember).

Obviously there are quite a few works of his that turned out all the way great. Misery, The Shining (first one) Stand by me, Shawshank... and a bunch of others that are cult classics.

It appears that the filming rights for a lot of his stories are running out around now opening up for remakes.

Looking at his IMDB profile there are a silly amount of projects finished in the last years, currently running or coming up in in the next year.

Â