The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Saw 22 Miles last night , nice not to taxing a film rather than the other choice of a mumbling Tom Hardy ( least based on the trailer where I couldnt really  understand a word he said )

mindless fun at a decent pace , even a decent twist and i was particularly taken by the  desire to smash the bad guys head through a car window and then use the jagged glass bits a saw on the baddies head.. extra credits for managing to make Colombia( filming location )  look like SE Asia ( story location )  

it won’t be the best film you ever see but for a  distraction whilst you eat your popcorn it’s quite reasonable 

Edited by tonyh29

Bildresultat för apostle gareth evans poster

Apostle (Netflix) was rather good for the most part.

For me horror movies is all about the atmosphere and in this one they do it pretty well.

A bit Silent Hill, some The Wicker Man, The Village, The Ritual, Children of the Corn and a bunch of other movies with an Lovecraft vibe to it.

Not one to watch with your family for a cozy Friday night perhaps (unless it's the Manson family) cause it has some pretty R-rated scenes.

Additional + for lead Dan Stevens who has a Bruce Campbell quality to his facial expressions which is always nice.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Brilliant film, and one of my favourite actors of all time. 

4FE8E74B-005B-4A95-866D-0ACDDCA82F89.jpeg

Love Denzel. My absolute favourite actor. And this one was no exception. Yet to see a bad film with him. Ok, The Manchurian candidate wasn't ace, but not that bad.

• Like 1

yeah he was great in BlackKklansman. 

Saw A Star Is Born last night - largely entertaining with great lead peformances fromLady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, but the ending was so pointlessly contrived for that final finish, I didn't buy it at all and it took me out of the movie.  It was a laughably implausible decision.

On 12/10/2018 at 23:35, Pelle said:

Love Denzel. My absolute favourite actor. And this one was no exception. Yet to see a bad film with him. Ok, The Manchurian candidate wasn't ace, but not that bad.

Try the the one where he play's a British soldier just back from the Falklands. Not the best British accent. 

My favourite Denzil film ? Man On Fire.

On 13/10/2018 at 12:18, Rodders said:

yeah he was great in BlackKklansman. 

Saw A Star Is Born last night - largely entertaining with great lead peformances fromLady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, but the ending was so pointlessly contrived for that final finish, I didn't buy it at all and it took me out of the movie.  It was a laughably implausible decision.

I'll just watch the beginning then. Nice one.

On 12/10/2018 at 22:43, Rugeley Villa said:

Brilliant film, and one of my favourite actors of all time. 

4FE8E74B-005B-4A95-866D-0ACDDCA82F89.jpeg

He's a brilliant actor.

He's not my FAVOURITE actor of all time by the way...

My favourite actor of all time is Mr Sidney Poitier.

hAF5YRmWMN7ffCfo.jpg

• Like 2

got oscar baiting written all over it to me, will no doubt watch it eventually but not yet, this years la la land 

I liked it. Really liked it in fact.

Regarding the ending

Spoiler

I assume you're talking about it being implausible that he would kill himself?
I'm not so sure I agree. He was a long suffering alcoholic and was going deaf which would obviously pretty much end his career. It's easy to see those two things combining to make him depressed.
I don't think it was so implausible.

Also I struggle to criticise the movie for that because that was the plot of the original(s) so their hands are tied a bit

Maybe my opinion is clouded because I went into it with zero expectation as it's not a film I'd usually see, but I thought it was great.

And contrived plot or not, Cooper and Gaga are both superb in it

Â