The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

tony's chinese film comment reminded me - 

Concerns have intensified that one of China’s most famous actors, Fan Bingbing, who has not been in public for months, may be in trouble with the authorities after she came last in a ranking of social responsibility among celebrities.

Fan scored zero out of 100 in the category in the 2017-18 China Film and Television Star Social Responsibility Report, compiled by Beijing Normal University and the state-affiliated Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Corporate Social Responsibility Research Institute.

It is the latest sign that the A-list actor, model and singer may have fallen foul of the authorities, with rumours that she has been detained for tax evasion.

The study comes amid a wider push by China’s Communist leaders to crack down on the entertainment industry and curb what it sees as “promoting money worship”, “distorting social values” and “misleading young people to blindly chase celebrities”. Chinese authorities announced a pay cap in June, saying leading actors should receive no more than 70% of total wages for the cast.

Only nine celebrities scored above 60 in terms of social responsibility, considered a passing grade, and the report said stars should promote “positive energy” and be more mindful they could cause “negative social impact”.

Fan has not been seen in public in over two months, and has reportedly become caught up into an investigation over what are known as “yin-yang contracts” among stars, where one contract lists the actor’s real salary while another with a smaller figure is submitted to tax authorities.

A report in the Securities Daily newspaper last week said she had been put “under control” and would “accept the legal judgement”, although it did not say what crime she had committed and the article was taken down shortly after it was posted. Fan’s studio has denied any wrongdoing.

Fan, 36, is one of the biggest stars in China, and in a career spanning more than two decades has become a ubiquitous sight on advertisements hawking luxury brands such as Cartier and Mercedes-Benz.

She is most famous outside China for her role in the 2014 film X-Men: Days of Future Past and is set to appear in a spy movie alongside Jessica Chastain, Penelope Cruz, Marion Cotillard and Lupita Nyong’o, though a release date for the film has not been announced.

But despite the rumours dogging Fan, including that she has received a ban from appearing in films, she has not been formally accused of any crime. Her last public appearance was at a children’s hospital on 1 July.

Chinese authorities maintain a tight grip on mass media both on and off screen. Censors routinely demand changes to content and have also hosted political indoctrination sessions for celebrities. Stars that promote the official Communist party line are often rewarded while those who step out of line are quickly punished.

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’ve been aware of this for years, but only watched it for the first time this week.

Don’t know why I waited, a nice little gem of a movie. Something enjoyable about seeing the birdman of Alcatraz share a scene with Mr Mackay.

591F2D34-6BD2-49B7-990E-D660EEF4651C.jpeg

Great film. Great soundtrack too from Knopfler.

• Like 1

American Animals - great film - true story of college students attempt a heist of rare books from their college library. Intercuts with interviews with the real people involved in a very effective way. At turns farcically funny, very tense and provokes thought on the why of it all. 

After watching American Animals the other day, about college students planning some crime out of boredom, reading The Secret History, about college students caught up in more violent crime and having seen young things blow themselves up in the pacific,  I finished the weekend's cultural dark place with We Need To Talk About Kevin.  I think this week will see non stop comedy now ? . Excellent psychodrama. Swinton does the haunted shell of a mother spectacularly, and both the actors who play the eponymous murderer are disturbingly well cast. Such evil in those eyes. :(

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Watched this last night. Absolutely brilliant, and the leading woman plays a superb leading role. Based on a true story. She makes you feel her own frustrations with life. 

89E72757-E3B2-4A71-AF0F-378A3B08AE68.jpeg

Yeah saw that last year without really knowing anything about it.

Really good. Pretty harrowing really.

Is there a film about Budd Dwyer yet? I find his story more interesting than Christine Chubbock's - could be more to do with the actual suicide 'broadcast' being readily available, though. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Is there a film about Budd Dwyer yet? I find his story more interesting than Christine Chubbock's - could be more to do with the actual suicide 'broadcast' being readily available, though. 

Note - I'd recommend not watching this. I watched it years ago, and I've got a fairly high threshold for anything macabre or the like, and it's still burned into my brain.

Watched Human Traffic the other day.  Enjoyable 1998 film which captures a weekend in the life of some young drug taking party goers.  Filmed all trippy to try and capture the mood.  Good cast, including an amusingly young Danny Dyer (before he was f**king annoying).

7.5/10 WB

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Currently catching up on some films i've missed over the years.

Just finished Mud, what a great film! McConaughy is superb as usual!

Can anyone give me any other good one's he's in?

Dallas Buyers Club

Lincoln Lawyer

Frailty (favourite of mine)

Killer Joe

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rodders said:

The McConaissance years!

I remember really enjoying A Time To Kill from years ago, probably 20 odd years old now that one isn't it. I was always a sucker for a Grisham adaptation. 

Will add this to my list. 1996 so 22 years old!

Don't know how I've never heard of a film with Matthew McConaughey, Samuel L Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Sandra Bullock, & Kiefer Sutherland!

I’ll go with an earlier one and say “Dazed & Confused”, although it’s been a while since I’ve seen it. I think it’s regarded as being his first “cool” film, not the main character but probably the most memorable one.

Again, it’s been a few years since I last saw it, but is “Ed tv” decent? I remember it being alright, just looked it up, directed by Ron Howard - didn’t know that. Similar concept to “The Truman Show” (although obviously not as good). Watchable though.

• Like 3

Â