The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Venom social media reactions are out.

It's apparently shite.

Shocker.

from the ones i've seen the overall tone of them is damning with then a couple of "its not really that bad" none that actually suggest its good, one said hardy is like JC in liar liar, a few said that outright nothing in the film works, a lot questioned the humour and said it needed to be R rated, some near interesting crossover stuff at the end is as good as it gets, the most common theme that i saw was its like the game changer of the MCU output isnt apparent in this, i think one said it was like a time warp to a comic book film from 15 years ago

not been here so im not sure how much we have been bombarded with, i would expect the film to break even but have a hefty undeclared marketing cost, did see last night a venom pizza promotion at papa johns, that kind of thing, the lure of tom hardy might see it through here

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Venom social media reactions are out.

It's apparently shite.

Shocker.

I saw an advert for that yesterday, even from those 30 seconds or so it looked like Tom Hardy didn't give a shit about the film, just cashing in the millions.

I would imagine he's been paid very well for the role, as asides from the licence he's the only 'pull' in it, and Sony want a franchise out of it so he probably got even more for committing to sequels. And it was made quickly with lots of CGI. And it's a 'fun' role where he can go OTT without much need for restraint. It was likely a pretty easy payday with potential to earn more down the line so I'm not surprised he took the role.

It'll be interesting to see how it does. Supposedly it's the lynchpin of their entire weird Spider-Man villains universe thing, if it flops it might kill it at the first hurdle. Here's hoping.

Mission Impossible Fallout - they're a bit samey and i know a lot (too many) of people just outright dont like cruise but i think these films have overtaken bourne and the recent bonds, they're good films with great set pieces, i dont know what cavill having a tache added to the film so i bet WB were pissed about the JL reshoots

Solo - not sure it was disappointing because i had such low expectations, it was just all a bit pointless and boring with not even many "thats cool" moments, lando steals it, the droid didnt work this time, a lot of the action didnt work either, the double crossing stuff didnt work because it was so obvious something was coming, agree with i think Chindie's comments before that a lot of the film is too dark and mirky, the ending both in terms of the reveal and the meaning of what han did didnt work either! because i know that number 2 isnt coming so the reveal wont be developed further and the start of whats to come stuff felt shoe horned in and not properly tied in to anything

On 29/09/2018 at 13:20, Ingram85 said:

Well, Hold The Dark is a bit **** grim.

Its not as good as it thinks it is but it’s still a bloody good film. Dark, miserable and visceral but you can’t stop watching. A little bit too self indulgent at times script wise but it just about stays on the right side of pretentiousness. Some tense as **** scenes. 

I didn’t much like Green Room, I loved Blue Ruin and I overall loved this movie as well. Can’t wait for his episodes of True Detective now!

Hated it. Wanted to love it and was really looking forward to because I loved Murder Party, Green Room and Blue Ruin. However it left so many unanswered questions, plot wise made little sense, the actors stumbled through their scenes half asleep and their mumbled philosophical musings were completely redundant.

However, I quite like the look at that new Robin Hood movie so my opinion means nothing!!

On 03/10/2018 at 09:52, Stevo985 said:

I agreed with whoever on here suggested Tom Hardy wouldn't lower himself to be James Bond.

But then he lowers himself to do that utter shite?

I'd say there was a certain appeal to having the freedom to develop Venom the character, the way he saw fit*, whereas you do exactly what you're told with Bond.  He's a known entity with no room to maonuver.  That would probably be suffocating to an actor like Hardy.

* plus the moolah from being part of that universe.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'd say there was a certain appeal to having the freedom to develop Venom the character, the way he saw fit*, whereas you do exactly what you're told with Bond.  He's a known entity with no room to maonuver.  That would probably be suffocating to an actor like Hardy.

* plus the moolah from being part of that universe.

I take your point on the freedom bit, but I imagine the money for being Bond is comparable (and probably far more) to the money for being Venom, even if there are subsequent Venom movies. Craig is reportedly getting $25million for the next Bond film and it'll be his fifth.

If you assume Hardy would command the same, then that's $100million + for four movies

An absurdly long 'trailer' that basically is a trailer interspersed with a few whole scenes.

I genuinely can't tell if it's complete crap or there's hints it might be fun. It's committed to the stupid, that's for sure. And the CGI looks dreadful.

I used to think Aquaman was just a made up superhero that the Entourage writers came up with to give Vinnie a superhero role. Was shocked it's an actual thing. Surely there's no demand for this film? I understand the desire for Spiderman, Batman and Superman films.... but Antman, Aquaman, Black Panther.?.. don't get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

That looks utter poo.  I see absolutely no attraction in these superhero movies.

Me neither, but I'll tell you a funny thing: I asked a class of students today, from all over the world, what they were doing this weekend, and more than half of them - including such unlikely characters as a sixty-year-old Japanese woman whose main interest is the therapeutic properties of trees on young offenders - told me they were going to see something called 'Venom', which I gather is another superhero movie. I've never even heard of this character. But it's all just massive, and I don't see any end to it. It's just what makes money now. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I used to think Aquaman was just a made up superhero that the Entourage writers came up with to give Vinnie a superhero role. Was shocked it's an actual thing. Surely there's no demand for this film? I understand the desire for Spiderman, Batman and Superman films.... but Antman, Aquaman, Black Panther.?.. don't get it.

Aquaman is a long standing DC character, been part of the Justice League line up for decades. He's not up with the DC 'Trinity' (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) but he's firmly in the next rung down, along with Green Lantern. Apparently he's still quite popular with kids these days. He's a bit of a classic character. He's also long been a bit of a joke character.

As for the second point... There's interesting stories to be told away from the top tier heroes. You can tell stories with Ant-man that you can't tell with Spider-Man, which is exactly what the films did. Those films follow the Scott Lang version of Ant-man, who is a burglar, and the first film at least is a heist movie ultimately, with the added fun of the shrinking thing. Black Panther has a completely different mythology to any of his stablemates - the ruler of a secretive African nation that has hidden itself from the world as it possesses an extremely powerful resource and has in turn developed very advanced technology - so has completely different plots open to him. His film follows him as a newly ascended king who finds himself challenged by a usurper with a radical approach to how his country should be. And it ends up having themes of African nationalism, colonialism and so on.

Hell, some of my favourite characters are not 'top tier'. Moon Knight is a brilliant character, but nobody knows him outside of comic fans. At first glance he's a Batman knock off, but in actuality his stories go to places a Batman story just can't.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Me neither, but I'll tell you a funny thing: I asked a class of students today, from all over the world, what they were doing this weekend, and more than half of them - including such unlikely characters as a sixty-year-old Japanese woman whose main interest is the therapeutic properties of trees on young offenders - told me they were going to see something called 'Venom', which I gather is another superhero movie. I've never even heard of this character. But it's all just massive, and I don't see any end to it. It's just what makes money now. 

From someone who himself isn’t really fussed about this sort of thing, I would characterise Venom as basically evil Spider-Man from outer space and he wears black.

Knowing what I know about fans of these franchises and their relaxed attitude to detail, I am confident they would be happy with the description given there.

• Haha 3

I think it’s mainly because the social media generation and modern audiences only see films as ‘OMG it’s the best thing ever!!!!!’ or ‘it’s a piece of crap’. There doesn’t seem to be anything in between.

It’s the films that sit around 5-7 out of 10 that just get lumped in the crap category but to me still have some value. Venom sits firmly in this camp. Not shite bit not great, Venom for me is like the Spawn film for the new generation. Shit but good. Aqua man will be the same.

Edited by Ingram85

Â